News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

body prep. advice

Started by loudmouthaussie, September 25, 2010, 09:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loudmouthaussie

Hi all
Im a newb at this prep and painting game just starting on my first ever project and have a question or 2.

Am just rubbing back the current enamel paint with 180 grit sandpaper so it dulls in prep for the primer.

Have noticed on the hood a lot of very shallow 'pitting'. Im assuming where the previous paint job didnt take or perhaps flex in the hood metal?

My question is should i just keep sanding untill i get to the layer under (there are a few) untill pitting disappears?

Ive been told I could put a fine skim of 'body putty/filler) over it all before primer?

What y'all think? I looked at some body putty in the shop and it said to put on AFTER primer
1970 PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRD. 440/6BBL/BENCH/AUTO/VITAMIN C.
1979 FORD RANCHERO GT 351.
1960 AUSTIN HEALEY MK1 BUGEYE SPRITE 1275/4 SPEED.

jaak

If it is just very shallow pitting, I would use a polyester primer. Poly is basically a sprayable body filler, will fill shallow dings, pitting, etc and won't shrink like Urethane primer will. If it were me, I would prime it (with polyester), then spray on a guide coat (mist on spray paint a contrasting color), then block it with a long board with 180 grit, then prime with urethane primer and block again with 400 grit. Also note when spraying polyester primer, you need a gun with a big tip, I have a cheap gun with a 2.0, just for poly. Even with the 2.0 tip, I usually have to thin the poly 10%.

Jason

loudmouthaussie

thanks for info mate. will look into when i get down the paint shop  :cheers:
1970 PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRD. 440/6BBL/BENCH/AUTO/VITAMIN C.
1979 FORD RANCHERO GT 351.
1960 AUSTIN HEALEY MK1 BUGEYE SPRITE 1275/4 SPEED.

elitecustombody

why not just block it out with existing materials already on the car? once done,shoot few coats of Featherfill G2

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan