News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quitting Smoking, The Habit Has Been Kicked!!!

Started by Skinypete, September 19, 2010, 01:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger RT

Don't get the nicotine gum you are at 69 hours of the 96 needed to get the nicotine out and end the addiction part. one more day.
Tim

RD

the addiction never ends! lol.. i know... you just have more will power and confidence the farther you go from the 0 day.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Charger RT

The addiction does end I know. and it ends 4 days after the last use of nicotine. The habit can go on for a long time and the memory of smoking pleasure can too. But nicotine can't pull you into smoking if it is not in your blood. If you smoke at that piont it is a choice not an addiction.
Tim

RD

Quote from: Charger RT on September 24, 2010, 05:05:54 PM
The addiction does end I know. and it ends 4 days after the last use of nicotine. The habit can go on for a long time and the memory of smoking pleasure can too. But nicotine can't pull you into smoking if it is not in your blood. If you smoke at that piont it is a choice not an addiction.
Tim

once and addict, always an addict.  that will never change.  it is how the addict chooses to forego their addiction that changes.  drugs are very deceptive in that regard.  I understand what you are saying, just want to try a different terminology.  addiction runs deep and can be dormant.. but in a person's weakened state, it can be active again.  that is why we have such words as recidivism.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Bobs69

My dad still enjoys the smell of a cigarette, so do I at times.  I was only a casuall smoker.   Just don't find any excuses to "self medicate".

68charger383

I quit 23 months ago using Chantix. I had to use it twice before I finall decided to quit. As noted, it masks the physical addiction, but the habit still remains strong. As stated, you never quit, just in remission and no longer a user, but always an addict.

You can do it, just have to put your mind to it and not make excuses. Have to keep saying todays the day and stop saying you'll start tomorrow or Sunday.   :yesnod:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

jeryst

Also, stay away from anything with caffeine in it.
I was told that nicotine and caffeine are very similar,
and that the caffeine will actually strengthen your dependence on nicotine.

ACUDANUT

Well, what's the word.  We have not heard from you ??

chargergirl

He's chewing on his computer! Like I said I have to do one thing at a time...however I like what jeryst said...when you get the urge go and polish something on the car. I thing that's brilliant. I promised a friend of mine that I would not change too many things at one time...so I do my p90x and pray for our friend here to find the strength to fight the demons. Side effect of p90x is that I only smoke 1/2 pack a day. Makes it that much closer to quit time.
Trust your Woobie!

TheGhost

Quote from: Silver R/T on September 19, 2010, 01:46:07 PM
Chew gum, etc.... Don't really know, I never started to smoke myself.

For once, silver said something intelligent.

I quit 3 months ago.  Chewing gum really helped.

Quote from: tricky lugnuts on September 21, 2010, 02:05:19 PMYou will dream about smoking (Seriously, I haven't smoked in two years and I dreamed about smoking just last night, sneaking two Marlboros).

This is true.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

twodko

Hey SkinnyPete how's it going with quitting cigs? Thinkin' about ya bro, its not easy. Been there, done that and got the tee shirt. You will beat them - believe it!

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Tilar

My biological father died this last march of lung cancer.   I smoked them for 30 years and enjoyed every one of them. Sometimes, actually quite a long time I smoked between 3 and 4 packs a day. I quit Memorial Day weekend in 2005. I tried one a couple years ago and only got half way through it.  :eek2:  Sometimes someone near me will light one up and it will smell good, but damn I feel so much better now than I did before I quit.  

Every now and then I still catch myself reaching for my shirt pocket.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Skinypete

I haven't posted recently because I faltered last week and I'm trying to get back on track. I think that it has something to do with the stress I'm having from school and everything else and smoking just gives me the couple minutes to relax. Thank you all again for the support you've been offering and so you know I'm giving them up again tonight. I'm about to head out to the store to buy some sunflower seeds that will be my cig substitute. I'm feeling pretty good about it this time. Thanks again everybody!

DJMIII
DJMIII

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

FLG

Anyone ever think he might like getting zapped in the nuts?  :rofl:

Skinypete

SSShhhhh!!!! Don't tell anyone about that...  :lol:

Round two starts now at 20:34

DJMIII
DJMIII

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

A383Wing

Quote from: FLG on September 27, 2010, 07:00:18 PM
Anyone ever think he might like getting zapped in the nuts?  :rofl:

:D

elacruze

Lemme help with that...

Oh yeah...

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

squeakfinder

I was going to post it some day's ago then deleted it. I felt uncomfortable talking about it but somebody I know shot himself in the head dead with a 22 while taking Chantix. I just did it cold turkey an the hell with it.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Alaskan_TA

I have never had the urge for another one, dreamed about having them or anthing like that. Not everyone is the same though......

You can do it Pete, keep at it!  :2thumbs:

A383Wing

Pete, use the Force!

twodko

SkinnyPete,

There will be NO beating yourself up for back sliding! Happens to many, you may slip again but stay with your conviction to quit. Ball shocking only works for a while then you begin to like it. At that point you have to move up to a tig welder or something for a stronger, different kind of motivation!

Elacruze, that pic is out-frickin'-standing.........highly motivational. Lung cancer took my Mom an I don't want to see that happen to anybody.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

nvrbdn

i quit 3 1/2 years ago. held a full pack for a week in the pocket unopened. told the wife that at the end of the week if i made it through my daughters wedding without one id throw the pack away. sun morning it went in the trash. wife still smokes and i drive to the store to get them for her. she wont quit, but i have no desire to go back. told her i want to be here for my grandkids weddings. so i have plans for my future.keep the faith and even if you have a weak moment, start new from that point and go at it again. i was lucky that i could quit cold turkey. no matter how many times it takes, keep trying. you will win!!!
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

jeryst

Friend of mine told me, "Quitting isnt hard. I've done it lots of times".

I lost several close friends due to cancers from smoking. Also my favorite uncle.

I could still be enjoying good times with them if they had just quit.