News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What to do with K members ?

Started by Rolling_Thunder, September 14, 2010, 01:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

Well guys - need some advice -  I have two spare K members kicking around taking up space in my shed...    I have no idea what to do with them - one is a 69 and one is a 70...      I hate to just throw them out but I honestly have no clue as far as value goes...        any opinions ?  I mean I was thinking of beefing them up a bit and trying to sell them that way - but I am just unsure -  I also have like 4 sets of lower control arms and strut rods...    4 sets of upper control arms...       

:shruggy:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Shakey

E-Bay - you will soon find out the value!

elacruze

Call Firm Feel and see if they want them as cores?  :shruggy:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Daytona R/T SE

MEGA PARTS may buy them for cores too. They have value, don't pitch 'em.

bull

Have you tried craigslist? You're not going to get much for them as cores and the last time I was at Firm Feel they had enough extra suspension parts laying around to build their own battleship. And more often that not they get them sent in, rebuild them and send them back out. But it might be worth a toll free call to find out for sure. 800-347-6426 :shruggy: :shruggy:

This guy here in Portland thinks his is worth $265.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/1949508474.html

RTDaddy

Also remember Murphy:

"If you have a spare, you will never need it."   ;D

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: RTDaddy on September 14, 2010, 04:25:30 PM
Also remember Murphy:

"If you have a spare, you will never need it."   ;D

Ain't that the truth :smilielol: :smilielol:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Silver R/T on September 14, 2010, 10:32:16 PM
maybe put them on moparts

I got kicked off there once - havent been back since...       too tight assed over there for me...          too political...     too much drama....           :smilielol:

K members are those things you never need -     like a draglink...        

I figure one I will mock up with my 440 for my 69 RR and all that while its off at body and paint - then just swap the complete front suspension under the car -  but i'll still have a spare - plus the 70 set up    haha      

I scored two COMPLETE front set ups (K members, lowers, spindles, drums, uppers, and tie rods, drag links, etc)     haha    

Mike DC

You know how this will work in the long run. 

Nobody will think too hard about saving K-frames until we start running out of them.  But eventually the price will go higher (especially if we ever do see repro B/E unibodies) and they will finally get repopped.  When that happens the asian supplier will cut corners on the steel quality as usual.  We will grumble about having to mess with repro K's that are overpriced and feel unsettlingly lighter weight than the originals do.   

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on September 14, 2010, 10:46:27 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on September 14, 2010, 10:32:16 PM
maybe put them on moparts

I got kicked off there once - havent been back since...       too tight assed over there for me...          too political...     too much drama....           :smilielol:

K members are those things you never need -     like a draglink...       

I figure one I will mock up with my 440 for my 69 RR and all that while its off at body and paint - then just swap the complete front suspension under the car -  but i'll still have a spare - plus the 70 set up    haha     

I scored two COMPLETE front set ups (K members, lowers, spindles, drums, uppers, and tie rods, drag links, etc) for $100 total    haha     

My Challenger had a K-frame without the holes for the swaybar. I bought one of another member (still in the US though), gave my old away and now I need one for stability while the car is on the rotesserie so don't say you never need them. :brickwall:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 15, 2010, 01:29:31 AM
You know how this will work in the long run. 

Nobody will think too hard about saving K-frames until we start running out of them.  But eventually the price will go higher (especially if we ever do see repro B/E unibodies) and they will finally get repopped.  When that happens the asian supplier will cut corners on the steel quality as usual.  We will grumble about having to mess with repro K's that are overpriced and feel unsettlingly lighter weight than the originals do.   

That is until someone (like me) steps up and produces a special carbon fiber/graphite/nanotube mesh version of a K-member.  Lighter and stronger than the orginal steel for a cheaper price.....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Troy

I have at least 2 spares. I'm using one for an engine run test stand.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

elacruze

Quote from: Troy on September 15, 2010, 08:55:52 AM
I have at least 2 spares. I'm using one for an engine run test stand.

Troy

That's exactly what we're doing at the new shop. Welding up a mount/pitman arm to hold the steering centered, triangulate the spindle and add a 3rd dolly wheel and trans/spring mount, and radiator support.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Projekts

Not to hijack the thread, but. . .

I need one for my 70, my passenger side bracket was ripped, looks like someone dropped the motor on it. Anytime I had seen one in my price range it became cost prohibitive on account of shipping, however I live in San Diego so I'm not that far from you. Keep me in mind if you want to sell one.

Justin

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Projekts on September 15, 2010, 12:14:49 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but. . .

I need one for my 70, my passenger side bracket was ripped, looks like someone dropped the motor on it. Anytime I had seen one in my price range it became cost prohibitive on account of shipping, however I live in San Diego so I'm not that far from you. Keep me in mind if you want to sell one.

Justin

Damnit Man!  Wish I would have Known!  I got this thing from San Marcos   haha   

Shoot me a PM - I wouldn't mind helping you out.  I'm up in Torrance (Los Angeles) - so...    It is about a 4 hour round trip drive for me down to SD and back.