News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WIW 68 charger with 69 grill and tail panel

Started by will, December 23, 2005, 08:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

will

??? I saw this car in the parking lot one day when I was leaving from an overnight shift. Sorry no pics for security reasons ( I work at a nuclear power plant ). Any how, a couple of guys say it is registered as a 68, it did have round marker lights. Was this car sold on e-bay, it looked familiar and I was wondering if you guys could come up with a reason why someone would do this.

PocketThunder

maybe it was converted to a General Lee at one time?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Old Moparz

I'd think it would be worth almost as much, or even the same, as a decent, & correct '68 or '69, but only if it is in excellent shape. It will need to be in above average condition to draw a potential buyer. It wouldn't matter to me if I were to consider buying it since correctness isn't an issue for me as long as I'm not stuck with a nightmare of body work & mechanical problems. There will be less interest in it as opposed to a correct car, but I doubt people would avoid it if it were for sale. The grille portion is bolt in parts, but the tail panel is a lot of work to swap back. Personally, I prefer the '69 tail over the '68 & have the panel to change my car from a '68 to a '69. I may go through with it, but we'll see when I'm actually ready to have the car painted.

Preference to a '69 or maybe just having those parts on hand to replace damaged or missing parts could be the reason it's like that now.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

andy74

a guy who comes in our shop is doing the same thing.i asked him why didnt he just sell the 68 and buy a 69,as it would seem to be easier.after he told me a whole bunch of bull shit,he admitted that the car was that way when he bought it,he was just sanding and re painting it.so it seems like this happens more often than i would think.you arent at the oswego new york plant are you will?

Ghoste

I'm still waiting for one of the 69 guys to come on and explain how it increases the value.  Of course the 68 fans will say it lowers the value and the 70 club will tell you it's virtually worthless in either form.   :icon_smile_big:

Personally, I've seen it done before and I think it lowers the value of the car.  I agree with Andy, if you want a specific year, then find that car.

Pistolpete

:iagree:

Took me months to find the car I wanted, wouldn't have done it any other way!!
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ghoste on December 23, 2005, 10:07:55 AM
I'm still waiting for one of the 69 guys to come on and explain how it increases the value.   Of course the 68 fans will say it lowers the value and the 70 club will tell you it's virtually worthless in either form.     :icon_smile_big:

Personally, I've seen it done before and I think it lowers the value of the car.   I agree with Andy, if you want a specific year, then find that car.

I agree, nobody's pissed off at the swap yet.  :icon_smile_big:

In my case, I was looking for a '69 when I found the '68 for a price that was too good to be true. So for me, it's basically a cost factor & the fact that it's a 383-2V car, so it's no rarity to make me feel any guilt if I switch it. To give you an idea of the cost, I got the rust free shell with all new sheet metal & body work completed for half the cost of the sheet metal that's on the car. It has new quarters with extensions, new trunk & passenger compartment floors, new wheel houses, new rear valance & corners, new rear window channels & sail panels, and it was all installed correctly.

I could probably sell it & find a '69, but it would be a lot easier to have a body shop swap the tail panel for me. Easier in the sense that I don't have to advertise it & deal with a bunch of time wasting. Like questions that wouldn't have to be asked if they read the ad, dead beats that never show or call, haggling over the price, & then going through the whole process of finding a nice '69. The odds of finding another person making a dead even trade, a '69 for a '68, are greater than buying a winning lottery ticket. I still may not do the swap at all, but since I'm leaning heavily into making it a Daytona, the round tail lights will bug the hell out of me.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

4forty

This may sound stupid and I would never do it or drive it but my favorite Charger front end is '68 and favorite Taillights are '69. Would have been great if came from factory....But I digress.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 23, 2005, 10:29:51 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on December 23, 2005, 10:07:55 AM
I'm still waiting for one of the 69 guys to come on and explain how it increases the value.   Of course the 68 fans will say it lowers the value and the 70 club will tell you it's virtually worthless in either form.     :icon_smile_big:

Personally, I've seen it done before and I think it lowers the value of the car.   I agree with Andy, if you want a specific year, then find that car.

I agree, nobody's pissed off at the swap yet.   :icon_smile_big:

They will be if pics show up. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

will

I'd love to post pics but for security reasons I can't. It just isn't worth my livelyhood to post pics. BTW haven't seen it since I spotted it the week after thanksgiving. If and when I see it I'll get more info and invite whomever it is to the site. In response to Andy's question I work at Indian Point down in Buchanan. I'll keep looking for this car, but I doubt I'll see until the spring.