News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where???

Started by G-man, September 12, 2010, 07:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-man

Hi

I found out why the headlight flaps on the 68 charger do not work. Allen bought a new vacuum hose kit for it which I believe is not the issue (nice to have a spare though). Steve found under the dash board that the actual Plug (which is like a 2 inch rectangle shape thing with 3 holes on it) is not plugged in. The vacuum on the car works so we know this is not the issue.

Does that plug, plug into the head light switch which actually makes the head light flaps when lights get turned on work?

If this is the case, where on earth does that plug in to?

If it plugs into the back of the light switch, there is no plug for it... could the light switch in this charger be from a Dodge Coronet or something and hence there is no plug to plug vacuum hose kit into which means I need to buy a 68 Charger light switch.... (light switch on the dash board...vacuum hose kit behind this somewhere gets plugged in) ???

MoparManJim

That white box is indeed the control for the head light doors out in front. Put the air hose in the middle plug as that is the air feed from the vac canister then the lower plug is for the on which is the doors are open then I do believe. And the top plug is for the doors to be close. The vac lines all slide onto plugs.

G-man

Uhm....

Sorry I did not understand that...

Everything in engine bay is hooked up. The only thing not plugged in is the rectangle bit under the dash board, there are 3 hoses that join into this rectangle bit... where does this bit get plugged in? In the back of the light switch? This is what I think this light switch has not got... where to plug it into. Was just wondering if that rectangle bit does not get plugged in the light switch, where to look for it (where does it get plugged in) cause if it does get plugged in light switch it means I need a charger light switch. There is no plug in light switch for it so I thought maybe it gets plugged in somewhere else, if not it means I need a new light switch that has that plug for the vacuum to plug into.

Can someone put a photo of where it goes by any chance? Im going tomorrow to sort that out before I head back up the coast 5 hours... so I kind of need to know now.

MoparManJim

Quote from: G-man on September 12, 2010, 08:00:55 PM
Uhm....

Sorry I did not understand that...

Everything in engine bay is hooked up. The only thing not plugged in is the rectangle bit under the dash board, there are 3 hoses that join into this rectangle bit... where does this bit get plugged in? In the back of the light switch? This is what I think this light switch has not got... where to plug it into. Was just wondering if that rectangle bit does not get plugged in the light switch, where to look for it (where does it get plugged in) cause if it does get plugged in light switch it means I need a charger light switch. There is no plug in light switch for it so I thought maybe it gets plugged in somewhere else, if not it means I need a new light switch that has that plug for the vacuum to plug into.

Can someone put a photo of where it goes by any chance? Im going tomorrow to sort that out before I head back up the coast 5 hours... so I kind of need to know now.

I just told you above what to do and where to connect the hoses to.

They are 3 hoses right? and the back of the switch has 3 outlets right? top outlet closes the doors, the middle outlet is the air supply, the bottom outlet is the doors open outlet. It's a air switch. You have a air canister under the battery, one air hose goes to it, and it connects to the middle outlet on the back of the dash switch. Then other two (2) air hoses goes from the switch out to the head light doors. One is for opening the doors up and the other is for closing the doors. 

G-man

I see

Thanks for clarification!

I think I need new light switch then because the light switch has nothing behind it for the vacuum thing to plug into... Behind the light switch there are wires plugged in and thats all that is there... there is no bit where the rubber rectangle hose kit plugs in. Weird.

terrible one

Yep, the white box Jim referred to can be seen in this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/68-69-charger-WORKING-headlight-switch-vacuum-control-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255d3b5083QQitemZ160477958275QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Looking at that one, just noticed the white part is separate and is actuated by a lever on the switch. Maybe you could just find that?

G-man

Thanks for the fast feedback. Thats what is missing on mine.

Will get a new switch. This light switch has a white looking plastic thing on the front... probably is from a coronet. The charger one is silver.

squeakfinder

I couldn't reply yesterday (computer problem). But the first 68 Charger I got, had the white vacuum switch hanging from under the dash. Unscrewed from the rocker switch. I pulled the light switch and discovered the arm that controls the the vacuum was broke off.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

G-man

I had another look under the car and behind the light switch there is a rectangle cable plugged in with about 3 or 4 wires comming out of it and there is no 'other' thing where the vacuum can get plugged in. Its totally missing. Maybe the switch I got is from a charger with electric lights or something.

Where do you buy a light switch from? Down here the shops that deal with mopar said they never even been asked for one and cant get it...

Troy

What you need is the vacuum switch - but you'll also need a headlight switch with the little arm that activates it. These arms are plastic and have a habit of breaking and the vacuum switches tend to get loose over time and leak. I have a few spares but they didn't seem strong when I tested them. In the tech section there are a few threads about alternatives.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

G-man

Thanks Troy.

Going with the merceedes alternative I seen others do... is that something thats pretty straight forward to put in or its playing around alot to get it modified to work?

I just want something that will plug in and work (to have all the parts on the car so nothing is missing) until the day I go to restore the car propperly with new wiring etc.

doctor4766

I have a spare one G-man
Gotta love a '69