News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

getting wax off flat paint.

Started by Crazy440, September 11, 2010, 02:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy440

Let's begin by saying, I am a complete beginer, at painting and know next to nothing about it or the products available. That said, I painted a Hemi hoodscoop, with flat black paint.  Then installed it on the hood, that's going on my 72 Dart project. I went ahead and waxed the hood with Meguiars quick wax, so I could store it for winter.  The problem is, I got over spay on the scoop.  Is there something I can use to take the wax off the flat paint?  Or should I take the paint off and start over?  I just learned about flat clear coat.  Which I plan on using, now that I know about it.
Thanks,
Crazy
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Nassau1969

You need to check a spot before you do this so you don't damage anything, I have tried a few things and the best thing for me when removing wax and compound in little hard to reach areas is small alcohol pads and alcohol on Q tips. But you need to check a off spot some where before you do it. My enamel paint it work fine.

Crazy440

Tried some Windex and some de-natured alki.  Not much help.  So I took the paint off and re sprayed it.  This time, finishing with 4 coats of flat clear coat.  I also fabbed a cover, outa sheet metal, that fits over the scoop.  Tried it and no over spray.  Kinda over kill but, I can use all the sheet metal practice I can get
Crazy
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

ODZKing

Try Dawn dish detergent.  I use that when I want to remove old wax from mine.  You may have to do it several times.

wayfast1500

I've heard the Mr. Clean magic erasers get rid of it, and also on plastic trim pieces.

Highbanked Hauler

69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser