News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Udpate: Appliance guys.. clothes drier

Started by hemi68charger, September 05, 2010, 08:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang.
Any appliance gurus out there? I have a clothes washer that started to squeak, an annoying high-pitch squeak at the same rpm as the drum... Any suggestions? belt?

Thanks in advance...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

The70RT

Could be the belt but if it is an older one it could be the bearing. Take the back off and see wihat the belt looks like. If it is sloppy or glazed you may just erplce the belt. If the bearing is bad after the new belt is on it will let you know in a hurry.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A383Wing

nope..it's the rollers that the drum is riding on that are bad...drum is not centered.....I had same issue years ago....replaced rollers, belt, & rear seal

Todd Wilson

I've got my Grandma's old early 70's Maytag Dryer. A few years ago I had to redo the wheels the drum spins on and replace the belt.  Its not hard to do.

Go here to order your parts.
They also have a trouble shooting section. Have your Model and Serial # handy.

http://www.repairclinic.com/

Todd

Bobs69

You know, I think I remember putting a new tensioner on mine!

hemi68charger

Thanks everyone !!!!! Seems pretty straight forward.. Guess I know what I'm going today on my Labor Day.. Ironic, Labor Day and I have to fix something...

First things first though.. Off to the local exhaust shop to modify my TTI exhaust to facilitate my original exhaust tips.. Hate those TTI tips it came with....

:2thumbs:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemi68charger

Seems when I have a full load, it squeaks loud, when I pull some clothes out (reducing the load on the bearings?), the squeaking stops.. I'm assuming it might be the bottom bearings?
Troy

The70RT

Quote from: hemi68charger on September 06, 2010, 10:04:18 AM
Seems when I have a full load, it squeaks loud, when I pull some clothes out (reducing the load on the bearings?), the squeaking stops.. I'm assuming it might be the bottom bearings?

When I did mine (Whirlpool) I got a kit that included bearing w housing, belt and new fasteners but maybe they all are not the same.

hemi68charger

Quote from: The70RT on September 06, 2010, 10:36:54 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on September 06, 2010, 10:04:18 AM

When I did mine (Whirlpool) I got a kit that included bearing w housing, belt and new fasteners but maybe they all are not the same.

I see that for the rear central bearing.. The sound appears to be coming from the front.. But, I guess it wouldn't hurt to change out all bearings....

Troy

rav440

what kind of dryer ? how old ? i just fixed mine for around $20.00 replaces the bearings , they are just 4-5 teflon pads , took a total of 15 minutes to fix .
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

hemi68charger

Quote from: rav440 on September 06, 2010, 11:33:44 AM
what kind of dryer ? how old ? i just fixed mine for around $20.00 replaces the bearings , they are just 4-5 teflon pads , took a total of 15 minutes to fix .

The dryer is a GE DQSR483GEWW.. I was curious on how to disassemble this puppy... It didn't come with an owner's manual to the extent of how it goes together (or in my case, torn into)...

Troy

The70RT

Start with the back panel, you then will see the clips for the top and front.

hemi68charger

Quote from: The70RT on September 07, 2010, 08:56:56 AM
Start with the back panel, you then will see the clips for the top and front.

Thanks.... I appreciate it..........
Troy

hemi68charger

Started to figure out what the problem is.. Apparently there's a felt glide that the front portion of the drum circulates on?. I would assume on getting metal-2-metal squeaking on the drum and front guide (what the felt is attached to).. From the diagram, the felt is supposed to be on the bottom portion of the drum? With the clue of seeing the felt where it's not supposed to be, maybe it's the front portion of the drum were the problem is. The noise is going from the front..
Troy

chargergirl

Must be dryer season...my heat went out. Got a quote from the local place of $90...went online and got the part from a supply house for $32 shipped. Kid went out and changed it when it came...voila done. Oh and the local place was going to have to order it...probably from the same guys I ordered from. It's easy but don't throw out the old one until the new one comes in...there are little pieces on the side that have to translate to the new piece. It took him an hour total. Yeah!
Trust your Woobie!

Charger RT

I'm glad I only need a dryer 2 months a year.
Tim

Todd Wilson

Most appliances are not that hard to work on. With that web site I posted  I try and fix everything I can.    My current dishwasher kept throwing its top spinning spray arm.  Its designed to pop off if it hits something. Figured wife loaded high and it hit something. Wouldnt stay on.  Tried glueing it and it worked a few times and kept falling off.   Ordered new arm for it. 10$   and the old arm hasnt come off again since I  ordered the part! Real easy fix! HAHA!  So now I got this new spray arm   just in case!

I had a washing machine that kept putting spots of grease on the clothes. Seal and bearing going bad.   I got onto live chat at that web site. They said to junk it as it would be a tough one to fix and expensive on parts.  Showed me what to do and how much it was and they were right!   Great site!

Todd

hemi68charger

I'm getting closer to figuring this out.. I have a couple of websites that sell parts and also input from users on how they replaced the part in question. All of them though make no mention to how many slides there are on the front upper bearing. One site states 4, but all the side sell two different versions of the slide... I would like to get the parts up front before I start tearing apart the dryer any more..

Troy

Cooperman

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

hemi68charger

Grrrrrrrrrrr
Got the new top front bearing, glide and felt installed.... But, now, after about 1 minute of running, the motor stops.. I have to think it has something to do with all the new parts I put in and the front drum area being too tight... The motor worked fine before I replaced the items....... The service call this morning left, with a $95 service call.. He left before letting the dryer running long enough...... So, I'm calling for a 2nd opinion....  Grrrrrrrrrr  new motor = $250.. Might as well get another new dryer for that sort of money......

I hate this.... When it comes to mopars, loading bombs on Air Force fighters and my civilian job, I'm self-sufficient.. I hate "not knowing"........... Oh well........ As the world turns........
Troy

chargergirl

If it's a Sears product you can call for service and buy the extended warranty...then it costs you whatever that is and no more...if not it's stupid per hour...my motor went out in my washer...it would have been more than $500 to replace...so I would have bought new washer...but for $125. it was a bargain.
Trust your Woobie!

The70RT

I use to do all that stuff myself until a few years ago. I have AHS (american home shield) insurance company. For 40 or 50 bucks a month ( im not sure since i don't pay the bills) they cover all my electrical, plumbing and appliances. My AC and furnace is like 1970 and I will be getting a new one sooner later. You do have a $50 dollar service call every time they come out. Last month I got a new garage door opener and a new ceiling fan. I also had a loose connection in my attic and a bad wall switch which they fixed. I paid the $50 dollar service charge to do all of it. Good deal for anyone with older home & appliances.

chargergirl

We have our new home owners and rental owners do exactly that. The first time you have to replace the a/c unit it has paid for itself.
Trust your Woobie!

Old Moparz

Quote from: hemi68charger on September 14, 2010, 10:56:15 AM
Grrrrrrrrrrr
Got the new top front bearing, glide and felt installed.... But, now, after about 1 minute of running, the motor stops.. I have to think it has something to do with all the new parts I put in and the front drum area being too tight... The motor worked fine before I replaced the items....... The service call this morning left, with a $95 service call.. He left before letting the dryer running long enough...... So, I'm calling for a 2nd opinion....  Grrrrrrrrrr  new motor = $250.. Might as well get another new dryer for that sort of money......

I hate this.... When it comes to mopars, loading bombs on Air Force fighters and my civilian job, I'm self-sufficient.. I hate "not knowing"........... Oh well........ As the world turns........

Bummer about the machine crapping out, I know how that goes. If I had seen your post a few months ago when everything seemed to be breaking at the same time at my house, I wouldn't have felt so alone.....LOL

I learned a lesson over the years, that the expression "You get what you pay for" isn't always the case. My wife & I had usually bought the less expensive models of what we needed because we just didn't have the money for what we wanted. Cars, appliances, furniture, etc. When our fridge was on it's last legs a few years ago, we decided to treat ourselves to a better, or more upscale model.

We paid almost $1800 for a GE Profile, freezer on the bottom with upper double doors. In the past we had basic models and got many years out of them so they never owed us anything. This time the $1800 was a lot & was the worst POS I ever bought. Not only was it the only appliance to give us trouble in the first few months, it gave us grief 4 or 5 times over the first 2-1/2 years. The doors were misaligned & leaked cold air. The rubber seals on the replacement doors ripped. The 3rd set didn't meet & had a 1/4" gap.

The customer service sucked & more replacement doors got lost & never arrived. After finally getting 2 doors for the same side I wrote to GE telling them I was ready to scrap a 2 year old $1800 fridge. Finally, I got the doors & it seemed okay until the circuit board, a small index card sized panel in the back died this past Spring & ruined food when the damn thing stopped getting cold. The service guy had it in his van & was in & out in less than 30 minutes with a $105 bill, so I went for it. It's been okay so far, but the 5 year warranty won't be around forever & I will never spend that kind of money again on ANY appliance.

When the 23 year old, basic model dishwasher gets replaced later this year, it won't be an expensive one, it'll be a bottom end model for under $300. Same goes for our 21 year old, basic washer & dryer we got for $495/pair, bottom end models so I don't get screwed out of thousands. The dehumidifier was 18 years old when it crapped out & also a basic one for $150 if I recall.

The best buy I found were on Sears A/C's for me, my Dad, & a friend when they had floor sample models. I bought 5 units, (2 of which were vertical casement types that were originally $450 each) all for $300. All work great & have been in use for almost 5 years now. One is just a 6000 BTU model that blows so cold you can't run it above the lowest setting.

I wasn't planning on being a tightwad, but everything is designed now to be disposable so I'd rather spend less on something when I toss it.  ::)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry