News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing Torque bars

Started by lexxman, September 01, 2010, 08:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lexxman

I'm ready to move the torque bar so I can replace the crossmember On my 69 charger. In the shop manual they list a tool to use,what do you use if you don't have the tool? :shruggy:
I was wondering, those of you that have done this what you used to remove them? :icon_smile_question:

DC_1

You need to make one of these

Follow this link for more info

Tool Link

RallyeMike

Since your goal is to remove the cross member, just take the load off the T-bars at the adjusters, remove the struts and unbolt the cross member. No tool needed. Don't drop a T-bar on your foot.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

lexxman

Quote from: RallyeMike on September 01, 2010, 09:26:31 PM
Since your goal is to remove the cross member, just take the load off the T-bars at the adjusters, remove the struts and unbolt the cross member. No tool needed. Don't drop a T-bar on your foot.
That is an idea, I wasn't sure how much spring if any would be left. I may get one of the machinists at my work to make one of those tools for me.

RallyeMike

Be sure to undo the shocks. You can achieve zero spring. You can also get them out when you loosen the control arms and rock them around. That said, it might be nice to have the tool for the future when you just want the T-bars out, just no reason to hold you up right now.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

lexxman

If all goes well I'll have the bars and the crossmember out this weekend. :yesnod:
The biggest pain in the butt is one of the previous owners welded some patch's in,so there are a few welds that will be hard to get at. This is the last big job to be done,the rest is a few sheet metal patch work .

bull

I wouldn't take them out unless you really have to because chances are you're going to knick the hell out of them getting them out; and that's bad.

Or, some people are able to just remove them by hand without any problem but if your luck is like mine they're stuck.

lexxman

Well I'm half way there.I'm taking thr crossmember out in parts(because its being a pain in the ass).I 've got 2/3 of it out along with the drivers side bar,it came out by hand.I hope to have the other out later tonight or tomorrow. :2thumbs:

lexxman

Ive got both bars out by hand.And I got the new crossmember welded in. :2thumbs: