News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Leaking Somewhere...

Started by Brass, August 30, 2010, 03:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brass

Hi all,

After successfully fixing my vent tube using advice I found here, I've encountered yet another concern residing in the trunk.  After a road trip this weekend, we noticed that one of the bags in the trunk was significantly wet.  The trunk mat was dry but the underside was wet, as was the pan itself.  WTF?  It didn't rain at all but I did wash the car before we left...  It seems like an inordinate amount of water got in somehow - otherwise I don't know where it came from.

The owner before me replaced the trunk pan but perhaps the cause of the problem wasn't addressed.  Are there any seals or weather-stripping I should replace?  Upon casual inspection, the metal and trim around the window deck lid and c-pillars appear to be good.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks,
M

bakerhillpins

One of the biggest fail points on Chargers were the lower corners of the rear window. Hence the # of trunks that need replaced.

I would empty/dry the trunk, grab a bunch of towels and cover the trunk floor and hit it with a garden hose with a watering attachment (rather than a stream). Open her up and see where water is dripping in and work backwards.

:2thumbs:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

twodko

Hey M,

I so dislike annoyances like the one you're having. The first thing I look at is the truck weather seal. If its the original maybe its dried out or squished after 40 years preventing a good seal. Check the tail light assembly gaskets, if they aren't sealing tightly water will get in. Also, what BakerHillpins said. I can't tell if your car is a 68 or 69 but check the side marker lights/reflectors for good gaskets. Lastly, are all the body plugs in the truck pan? Good luck.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Brass

Really great suggestions, guys.  I'll definitely follow up on them!  Thank you.  :2thumbs:

(By the way, Tom - it is a 68.)

Cooter

Just my .02 here, but I've NEVEr been able to "wash" any old musclecar and not have it leak water...This is why I don't Wash 'em at all, but wipe them dry...Good luck chasing that water leak..Hope you have better luck than most...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Brock Lee

My car leaks at the holes for the vinyl top trim clips.