News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Primed and ready for paint----now what??

Started by sixpack_sid, August 30, 2010, 10:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I'm getting ready to paint my 69 Charger. I just sprayed the whole car w/2k Eurothane Primer. I read somewhere you should put on a sealer before painting on the color. Is the primer a sealer? If not, then what do I use? What would happen if I put the color right on top of the primer? Will it rust through?
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Silver R/T

what kind of urethane primer did you use, do you have product name or perhaps a pic of empty can?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

sixpack_sid

Quote from: Silver R/T on August 30, 2010, 12:13:47 PM
what kind of urethane primer did you use, do you have product name or perhaps a pic of empty can?
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

qwick68

You should use a tinted sealer, tinted as if the car is going to be blue use a blue tinted sealer.  The sealer will act as a clean slate so to speak before you lay down your base, im sorry I dont know what your using for paint? If any spots of primer are  "sanded through" and no sealer is used you may end up seeing " spots " after you lay the paint down.  Trust me use sealer....cheap insurance, just make sure its compatable with the other products your using.....
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

AdamMopar

Have you blocked the car at this point?

Adam

Silver R/T

If that's sandable primer (can't tell, pic is small and blurry) then you need to sand the car. I'd recommend going over it with 320 dry and then spraying 2-3 more coats and wetsanding with 400-600 and then you should be ready to seal it.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

sixpack_sid

I need to block the car-I have 3 coats down, I was planning to wet sand with 500 grit and then paint the color on. I talked to the paint shop and they told me that the sealer is to cover body work-not prevent rust. So I think it will be ok.

qwick68

Your right sealer is not to prevent rust, it is to prevent " bleedthrough " What this means is if you sand through any of the primer, meaning any " high spots in the body work " or on a curve or edge it is possible once you lay your base down you will see the spot you sanded through.  Ive been painting cars didfor 15 years trust me use sealer, that being said I dont know the kind of car your doing ie show car or driver, if its just a low buck driver take your chance on no sealer......

Silver R/T

I don't know which paint shop you go to but if they told you that sealer is to cover body work, I'd be going to different shop. Like mentioned above, sealer is to prevent bleed through and usually is tintable, that way you will use less amount of paint coats.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

qwick68

Ok well if you know so much about bodywork why are you asking questions on the board? I dont go to any shop I own one, sorry I tried to help with with your project.  Good luck im sure it will come out great!

qwick68

Sixpack_sid shoot me a pm if you have any q's with your project i'll discuss what you need to do if your interested.....