News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chop Cut Rebuild is doing a 69 charger this season.......

Started by Back N Black, August 27, 2010, 02:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvrbdn

id have to find a disc recorder and hook the dvr up to it sending the signal through it. i know i have vcr, just have to find someone with a dvd recorder. :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

ccr-host

QuoteYea right around here it's very hard to find a neighbor home anymore or let alone watching the channel if it doesn't have something they like to watch on it. If it doesn't have to deal with trucks they don't watch it.  :shruggy:

Jim, if you have a sports bar near you, catch some of the midday re-runs during the week. Most sports bars will put on SPEED if you request it.

MoparManJim

Quote from: ccr-host on October 28, 2010, 01:19:53 AM
QuoteYea right around here it's very hard to find a neighbor home anymore or let alone watching the channel if it doesn't have something they like to watch on it. If it doesn't have to deal with trucks they don't watch it.  :shruggy:

Jim, if you have a sports bar near you, catch some of the midday re-runs during the week. Most sports bars will put on SPEED if you request it.

Sorry, we have none around here, and the only bar we have is a bar room. I don't go to the bars at all.  I guess I'll just have to wait and catch another car rebuilding show on line here in afew days. Maybe you should talk to your telacasters about maybe putting the show online also.. it's just an idea.  

ccr-host

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on October 26, 2010, 06:45:57 AM
Hey Dan,

Thanks a lot for showcasing a 2nd gen Charger on your show.  I bought one to restore 6 years ago and have been buying parts for it ever since.  It's a slow process but I want to do it right.  Watching your show gives me encouragement to keep going on my project.  As you have probably gauged, Mopar people are fanatics.  We love most everything Mopar as it concerns muscle cars.  You have to really be dedicated considering the parts situation.  Fortunately, in the past 3 or 4 years, that has changed.  Case in point, AMD in Flowery Branch, GA.  I drove down there and picked up my body panels personally and enjoyed a tour of the same warehouse you were in.  I'm sure while you were in Cleveland, GA that you found the North Georgia folks just as friendly as I did.  I would imagine you will sooner or later interface with Mike Ross with B/E & A Restoration Parts, Inc out of Ohio who will have a lot of the other parts you will need for the restoration of the Charger.  If it wasn't for AMD and BEA, I would have had a hard time finding some of the restoration parts I need.  And thanks for coming on our forum to tell us about the show.  We'll be watching every episode.

I'm glad we're able to encourage you to get back to your project. I know that Mopar people are very passionate about their cars, but that is a good thing ...I think. The people in Beauford, GA treated us great. The local paper sent a reporter and we made the front page! We were fortunate to get Ted Stephens onboard as a primary sponsor and he has been wonderful. Sending new, used, OE, and reproduction parts for the build. Ted even flew out to California and with a couple of his local Mopar friends, chipped in and brought the project to completion with the guys at Hot Rods. Ted even arranged for us to get a parts car from a good friend. His help has been amazing! He knows everyone in the game. Julius even came in and rebuilt our grill in just 3 days. So, yeah Mopar people are passionate in a VERY good way!! Our thanks to all of them.

ccr-host

Quote from: MoparManJim on October 28, 2010, 01:31:14 AM
Sorry, we have none around here, and the only bar we have is a bar room. I don't go to the bars at all.  I guess I'll just have to wait and catch another car rebuilding show on line here in afew days. Maybe you should talk to your telacasters about maybe putting the show online also.. it's just an idea.  

I just checked out GYC. It looks very cool. I like that they are salvaging wrecks! But, note they don't have a national broadcaster. It seems the internet and a single broadcaster in Eugene, Oregon are their primary broadcasting outlets. That is a completely different business model than we have. If we post our shows on the internet, it devalues what a broadcaster and advertisers will pay for them. Less money to produce means a different look to a show. It usually results in no or very little travel, less episodes, single camera shooting, stock library music, no closed captioning, and a single studio shooting environment. Those factors would make Chop Cut look very different than it does now.

I do hope they get a broadcast deal. The more restoration shows on the air, the better for us all. We've lost a number of shows in the past couple of years like Overhaulin', Wrecks to Riches, Dreamcar Garage, and some others. Less shows means less interest in the hobby. It looks like Spike is interested in the show. But, don't be surprised if Spike pulls the shows off the net when they sign on. Shows like Monster Garage and Overhaulin', still are not on the net because the internet doesn't provide near the same revenue as a television broadcast - even a cable broadcast.

MoparManJim

Quote from: ccr-host on October 28, 2010, 02:00:31 AM
Quote from: MoparManJim on October 28, 2010, 01:31:14 AM

I just checked out GYC. It looks very cool. I like that they are salvaging wrecks! But, note they don't have a national broadcaster. It seems the internet and a single broadcaster in Eugene, Oregon are their primary broadcasting outlets. That is a completely different business model than we have. If we post our shows on the internet, it devalues what a broadcaster and advertisers will pay for them. Less money to produce means a different look to a show. It usually results in no or very little travel, less episodes, single camera shooting, stock library music, no closed captioning, and a single studio shooting environment. Those factors would make Chop Cut look very different than it does now.

First off I'm not trying at all to hi-jack your thread here, but I wanted to say this, GYC as I know as of late do have a broadcaster, and they are working on getting the channel to broad cast I guess to the land down under. And also what is the different between on the air and online.. no mater how you look at it people are still seeing it one way or the other. If you air it on tv people is going to see it, if you post it on the net people is going to see it. I thought you was wanting people to see your show. It sounds like it all depends on the $$$ to the way you just said it above. To the way you just said those two last parts.. I was a becoming a fan of your show and was really starting to enjoy the promos from you link you posted before.. but after those words of yours above,I think you might just as lost me as a fan.  

QuoteI do hope they get a broadcast deal. The more restoration shows on the air, the better for us all. We've lost a number of shows in the past couple of years like Overhaulin', Wrecks to Riches, Dreamcar Garage, and some others. Less shows means less interest in the hobby. It looks like Spike is interested in the show. But, don't be surprised if Spike pulls the shows off the net when they sign on. Shows like Monster Garage and Overhaulin', still are not on the net because the internet doesn't provide near the same revenue as a television broadcast - even a cable broadcast. 

That's funny you mention the bottom part as when I watch there shows online they are getting quite afew good compliamints and alot of people are liking them. You see it pose to be about the views not about the $$$. If people like what they see they will return as it doesn't mater how much money a channel is paid.. if the program is good. A request demand to networks to at least give it a chance. That is what Mr. Mark of Graveyard Carz did. He wants the viewers to see his show, that is why he is working hard at getting it on the air waves. What you said above about cameras and what not, how do you think his program got started, by little cameras. He's working his way up like you did. Yet what you said up there you just cut his program down by the sounds of it with your own words.. because he is taking his local and have it on the net in small clips likes so people can see it and is working at getting his on the air where as you already have your show on the air waves. That comment you made above about devalue and small cameras really did offend me alot. Because you and him are in the same thing, cutting cars up and putting them back togother, the only different's is you do yours one way and he does his another. 

DC_1

Jim, no disrespect meant but you are way off here. I mean to suggest the producers of CCR are greedy and should not expect to profit from their investment is ridiculous in my opinion. While I'm sure a lot of them maybe auto enthusiast, at the end of the day they are a business that happens to make a car program. They are entitled to offer their program through the channels they feel offer the best value to those putting up the money to produce or support the production of the show. I've not seen this GYC show you talk about but to compare them to CCR is unfair. Maybe their low budget production is done and put on the Internet out of passion but at the end of the day everyone does what they do for money. You said yourself they are working hard to get on the airwaves. Are they doing this hard work for love or in the hopes of getting a deal with someone like SpikeTV or Speed!? Im sure if one of those offered a big $$ contract to GYC to produce the show but required them to no longer post the show online it would be done tomorrow. Again, not trying to be a a$$, just trying to get you to look at this from a big picture perspective.   

Chris G.

Jim,
Seriously man, quit while you're behind. You are starting to sound like a complete tool. Your biggest gripe is that you don't have TV and you want it for free online. If you had a TV, I doubt you would be crying the way you are. :Twocents:

CCR (Dan Woods), in no way does Jim represent the majority of how this site views your show. I know it takes a ton to get a show on TV. Keep up the good work. :2thumbs:

moparstuart

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on October 27, 2010, 09:28:45 PM
So far based on what I have read, it sounds like the numbers were saved & are going on an all new body.

For those that have actually seen the episodes;

Is that a fair assessment?

Or not?

If yes / no any additional details?
It is sad because i feel alot more of the original parts could have been saved , but they just threw parts away because they had free rain on new parts .  Just a little work on the doors and deck lid and alot more of the inner structure would have saved much more of the original car .  Just cutting the numbers out of the core support and trunk lip and grafting them in to the new sheet metal .  This is pure and simple a rebody  not saving the old car .  :Twocents: :Twocents:

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Chris G.

Quote from: moparstuart on October 28, 2010, 09:51:54 AM
Just cutting the numbers out of the core support and trunk lip and grafting them in to the new sheet metal .  This is pure and simple a rebody  not saving the old car .  :Twocents: :Twocents:

I felt the same way. Cutting number supports and grafting them onto another car is IMO a rebody. It was cool seeing a complete car being created, but just because the VIN tag stayed on the dash core, does not make it original.  :Twocents:

moparstuart

Quote from: Chris G. on October 28, 2010, 10:01:30 AM
Just cutting the numbers out of the core support and trunk lip and grafting them in to the new sheet metal .  This is pure and simple a rebody  not saving the old car .  :Twocents: :Twocents:

I felt the same way. Cutting number supports and grafting them onto another car is IMO a rebody. It was cool seeing a complete car being created, but just because the VIN tag stayed on the dash core, does not make it original.  :Twocents:
If you had an old junk charger and are going  to make a modern pro- touring car out of it , this would have been a great build but this car was historic .    Now you might as well put everything modern in it , its just a re-body .

Charger440RDN

Didn't they they have to use the existing inner roof structure and the original cowl because the inner structure is not reproduced by AMD or anyone else  :shruggy: So the inner skeletal structure is still original.

moparstuart

Quote from: Charger440RDN on October 28, 2010, 10:43:03 AM
Didn't they they have to use the existing inner roof structure and the original cowl because the inner structure is not reproduced by AMD or anyone else  :shruggy: So the inner skeletal structure is still original.
Yes but they used as little as possible , its lucky if even 15 % of the original car is there .

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

ccr-host

Quote from: Chris G. on October 28, 2010, 10:01:30 AM

I agree!

The line between "all original" and "rebuilt" is often blurry. As another poster here stated, should we have saved the rust on the floor and put it into a bag? That may be an extreme example but, it does highlight the question of, where is the line in the sand? Could we have saved the one original door? Yes. We could have hammered and dollied it, patched the rust and reused it. But, in our situation saving time was far more important. We also have a sponsor whose products we've promised to showcase. Saving that door does nothing to show the quality of AMD's products. The portions we saved are what is legally required to continue the registration. The "legal" line in the sand was our primary concern. A complete" re-body" would require a new VIN and registering it as a specialty car, which also means meeting 2010 emissions standards. I know we are in the fortunate situation of having unlimited access to AMD parts and that can seem unfair to those who must work within a budget. But, if one scenario creates more work and another showcases a sponsor, what is the logical route?

nvrbdn

im all for this car getting done and enjoying what iv'e seen so far. love it all. the main argument most will have here is if this is the most rare charger on the planet 1 of 1. then the masses will say save all you can to be as true as possible.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

moparstuart

Quote from: nvrbdn on October 28, 2010, 11:37:14 AM
im all for this car getting done and enjoying what iv'e seen so far. love it all. the main argument most will have here is if this is the most rare charger on the planet 1 of 1. then the masses will say save all you can to be as true as possible.
yes that is what i'm saying if you really wanted to  feature a car for AMD there are a ton of rust bucket ( not so rare cars out there to cut away at and even feature more of the aftermarket goodies .  This car was just so special it needed to have more of it's original parts restored and saved . Time and a sponser should not have been a factor , on this car.  Just my  :Twocents:   again its shafi's car and he has a right to do with it as he sees fit , but I just feel this is a shame to do it to this car .

ccr-host

Quote from: moparstuart on October 28, 2010, 11:55:27 AM
Quote from: nvrbdn on October 28, 2010, 11:37:14 AM
yes that is what i'm saying if you really wanted to  feature a car for AMD there are a ton of rust bucket ( not so rare cars out there to cut away at and even feature more of the aftermarket goodies .  This car was just so special it needed to have more of it's original parts restored and saved . Time and a sponser should not have been a factor , on this car.  Just my  :Twocents:   again its shafi's car and he has a right to do with it as he sees fit , but I just feel this is a shame to do it to this car .

Stuart, I understand the angst. I really do. But, this car was a rust bucket. It wasn't stored properly. It's roof, floors, trunk, doors, fenders, and a great deal of the substructure were gone. The Hemi was long gone and there wasn't even an original seat in it. It had also been in a collision at some point, which is why there was no fender tag. There was only one original door and it was borderline to save it. Nothing but major surgery was going to keep this patient alive. To do what you are suggesting would not have been possible on ANY television series. It's like a wounded soldier in the field. The care he gets at a MASH unit will never be what could be performed at Johns Hopkins Medical. To produce any television series, time and sponsor needs are key factors in the descision making. If what you are suggesting is, this car should not have been restored on TV, then that is a much different perspective and I would dissagree with it. This is a high-profile car. It's restoration should have high profile attention brought to it. But, keep in mind, Galen did not give us a definitive answer to: "Is this really the brochure car?". That is still a question not yet answered beyond a reasonable doubt. So, in fact we may be just restoring any old rust bucket. But... the possibilities make for some great discussions!

moparstuart

I will keep watching , and have watched your show since day 1 with the super van project .  Yes i am maybe saying this car should not have been restored on TV .  Or maybe on grave yard cars where they take the time to save as much of the original car as possible .   

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Charger440RDN on October 28, 2010, 10:43:03 AM
Didn't they they have to use the existing inner roof structure and the original cowl because the inner structure is not reproduced by AMD or anyone else  :shruggy: So the inner skeletal structure is still original.

As far as I know from sources,   there are no plans to do the inner roof structure for a Charger...     that is the sticking point to a "new" body.   Along with the cowl.   

Now I've seen a repro 57 Chevy conv. body that came into Speedo's...   it was all new except for the cowl with the original vin.  see here:  http://www.1957chevybody.com/body_options.html  I don't believe the dynacorn bodies are made like that,  but those being Mustangs and Camaros means I really don't care if anybody rebodies these things or not,   swapped VIN or not.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

DC_1

Did Shafi ever have the car up for sale? I see in reply #29 of this thread that KWS said he was approached about having the car built for him. Is there more to the back story that you can share Dan (CCR)? I understand you have to put the show together and make it interesting for viewers who are beyond the Mopar community, but for us here, we like to know the chain of events that got you to do this car in this way. You are a member here now so you are obligated to share all the details you have for fear of being banned to the Ricer Forums! :2guns:..........Seriously though, any additional info you could share would be greatly appreciated.

nvrbdn

by the first show about the charger a friend called and said he had a hemi charger that was an xp car.wanted to sell it. so he went there to authenticate it and seemed to believe that is what it was. so he got ccr to come check the car as a possible rebuild on the show. they contacted galen and he said if this is a xp hemi it is the only one he is aware has ever existed. thats the way they set it up on the show.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

NGC414

Quote from: ccr-host on October 28, 2010, 11:27:22 AM
I agree!

The line between "all original" and "rebuilt" is often blurry. As another poster here stated, should we have saved the rust on the floor and put it into a bag? That may be an extreme example but, it does highlight the question of, where is the line in the sand? Could we have saved the one original door? Yes. We could have hammered and dollied it, patched the rust and reused it. But, in our situation saving time was far more important. We also have a sponsor whose products we've promised to showcase. Saving that door does nothing to show the quality of AMD's products. The portions we saved are what is legally required to continue the registration. The "legal" line in the sand was our primary concern. A complete" re-body" would require a new VIN and registering it as a specialty car, which also means meeting 2010 emissions standards. I know we are in the fortunate situation of having unlimited access to AMD parts and that can seem unfair to those who must work within a budget. But, if one scenario creates more work and another showcases a sponsor, what is the logical route?

I agree with you Dan,
The car was pretty far gone. They could have pushed to save a door, but if the car is that far gone and you need to replace the majority of sheetmetal anyway, then why not replace everything boarderline at that point? You could say "hey this this and this is AMD, but we managed to spend 100 hours in salvaging this door" who cares at that point? It had zero chance of ever being restored with the majority of factor sheetmetal, after that point its fair game. Im glad they are saving it at least. If it had been an Arizona car with a couple holes that would be a different story. Restore it, and let someone enjoy it again.
If it was my car and I wanted to get it restored to enjoy for many more years (after seeing the condition it was in), I would go the same route to restore it. I would want as much sheet metal as possible replaced and restore it back to as close to the original look as possible. But keeping it original is no longer an option. 45% of that car has become one with the Earth. You would not need a restoration shop, rather a time machine and a preacher to restore it without AMD

ccr-host

I think the perspective that must be kept about how this car is restored is, why save everything that can be saved? What does having the original door do? Does it increase the value? Consider how using a patch panel instead of replacing an entire piece effects the cost of the restoration. At some point, the wallet must rule over the head and heart. The case here is we are watching a hotdog being made... Sometimes its best to not know what's in them. But, I believe the audience wants to see what's behind the process - the good and the bad. I think that is far better content than watching mechanics yell at each other or telling us who they don't like in the shop... It's about the car! Not the personalities putting it together.  :Twocents: