News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cam Help

Started by tricky lugnuts, August 25, 2010, 10:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tricky lugnuts

Looking for some assistance from the experts on choosing a camshaft for an engine build I hope to undertake this fall. I've read lots of good things on this site about Engle's K56 and K58 grinds, also the Comp XE 268, and am wondering if any of those camshafts would serve me well.

About my car: 1971 Dodge Charger SE, 1971 440 engine. Going for essentially a stock style rebuild (flat-top forged pistons, advertised 9.7-1), open chamber 906 heads, I believe. Stock 1971 intake manifold, HP exhaust manifolds, 2.25 inch exhaust, stock style torque converter in a 727 with 3.23 rear axle.

Right now I have a small 625 cfm Carter AFB on the engine - it's 10-plus years old and I plan to eventually upgrade to a 750 carb of some sort if that large of a carb is warranted.

About my goals: I want to maintain good all-around drivability on the street and economy (I'm currently getting 15-17 mpg on the highway) easy tuning, lots of vacuum for power brakes. I want good throttle response but I also want something that pulls like crazy - preferably something I can throw some drag slicks on and break into the high 13s if I ever take it to the track. In short, I want the best of both worlds - performance and economy.  :eek2: