News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Charger 400 Headers

Started by FLG, August 23, 2010, 07:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

Ive looked through post after post about the best header choices for a 400 in a 73 charger and still have no idea  :rofl:

Basically, whats the best of the inexpensive headers i can get for my 400?

Is there any choice of header that might not hang too low? (besides TTI)

It has power steering and is an auto on the floor.

Thanks!

71charger_fan

Before I finally invested in Schumachers, the Hedman Huslers I had fit very well and weren't too bad to install. I don't know if they still make them though.

FLG

They still sell em, but summit lists them for more than the price of TTI headers  :'(

bordin34

I have cheap no name headers that were on the car before I bought them and they suck. If I had the choice between them and manifolds I would keep the manifolds. It makes simple things a pain and you need a slant 6 starter, a full size or mini will not fit.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

GunMetal

I'm in the same boat. I've got the Hooker Supercomps, but they too are designed for the RB/B big blocks.
A large crack has developed in the #7 tube as a result of them hanging so low and the speed bumps so high! :RantExplode:  All my research......TTI's are the only way to go bar none! Now to get a job so I can afford them .:shruggy:   
Non illegitimis carborundum

71_U-Code_Charger

Quote from: FLG on August 23, 2010, 07:37:44 PM
Ive looked through post after post about the best header choices for a 400 in a 73 charger and still have no idea  :rofl:

Basically, whats the best of the inexpensive headers i can get for my 400?

Is there any choice of header that might not hang too low? (besides TTI)

It has power steering and is an auto on the floor.

Thanks!

It all depends on what you think is best.  What exactly are you looking for?  Performance, fitment or better yet ground clearance. 

I have had the Schumaker headers on my duster a while back and like that I didn't have to worry about them hanging too low. 

I am also looking for a set of headers for my 71 440 charger and I am kicking myself for selling the schulmakers.  :flame:

Since you have a 400 clearance could be an issue as the headers will hang a little lower than a 440.

The only thing that I didn't like about the Schumaker was that after some time the nickel coating started to change color.  They didn't have ceramic coating as an option 10 years ago.

Of course my Charger is a little low in the front and will probably go with the shumakers, again. But, $800 for a set of headers is a little much to swallow in these economic times....

If you are looking at performance some swear by Dougs and others Hocker.  I've heard some bad things about headman.

You'll want a header that has a thick flange so they wont warp.  Most of the high $$$ ones have these so keep in mind when looking to buy....

I thought of buying a set of these Flowtech ceramic coated headers because they were inexpensive at $269.  Hard to beat at that price.  Of course I don't know of anyone using these headers...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-33130FLT/

Good luck!

71charger_fan

Holy crap! I just looked at the price of the Hedmans. Now I'm starting to wonder if that's what I had. I bought Mopar Performance headers from Mancini in the mid-90s and they came in a Hedman Husler box. I always assumed they were rebranded Huslers, but now, given the price, I wonder.

I think I paid around $780 with a military discount for the ceramic-coated Schumachers I now have.