News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Correct 727 Transmssion numbers for 68 Dodge Charger RT , HELP???

Started by Chargermoneypit, August 21, 2010, 01:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargermoneypit

Can someone confirm which transmssion is the correct one for my 68 Charger RT. The car was built in May of  1968. From what I understand part number 2801541 was used in 67 and early 68. I have read the cutoff for this part number was March 68 and also May 5 1968 and don't know what is correct. I need a transmssion and found a guy in Indiana who specializes in vintage 727's only and can get a rebuilt 2801541 for $900.00. I know the diffrence is 1 wire or 3 wires for the safety neutral switch which I believe can be remedied if you one or another. The other transmssion number I THINK may be correct is 2892093. Can anyone clear up which one I really need???

John_Kunkel

According to the Parts manual the changeover date to the 3-prong NSS was "approx" May 15, 1968.

The NSS wiring harness currently in the car would determine if the 3-prong NSS is correct, if there is no wiring harness a quick look at the steering column or floor shifter will determine which is needed, if the BU light switch is part of the shifter or column the 541 is correct but if there is no switch in the car the 093 would be correct.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chargermoneypit

Thanks. I will look at my wiring harness to see what is right and what is not. I did find my transmssion from 727specialties.com He deals with 727's and nothing else. SCORE!!!!