News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DASH SPEAKERS THAT FIT 69 70 CHARGER ?

Started by Nassau1969, August 14, 2010, 08:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nassau1969

Who sells dash speakers that are the correct size. I had to buy small China made ones that fit but its not correct, anyone reproducing them.

69RT3X9

My 69 Charger R/T has the original AM/FM mono radio installed with a single dash speaker.  The original speaker cone was deteriorated so I bought the replacement Slimline Oval 4x10" dash speaker from Greg at www.turnswitch.com.  This speaker fit perfectly in the stock location and I had no problems with the install. 

Greg was great to work with and very knowledgeable regarding my Mopar radio configuration!  If you have any questions, I would not hesitate to give him a call.

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

69RT3X9

One more thing to think about for you 69-70 Charger:   What speaker impedance do you need?

4 ohm speakers can damage old transistor radios (such as my original AM/FM thumbwheel).  Old transistor radios were designed for 8 to 10 ohm speaker impedance.  If you are using a modern electronic radio, than 4 ohm speakers from places like Crutchfield might work great, if they fit?

The www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm website has a more detailed explanation regarding the importance of speaker impedance.  Check it out if you are interested!

Good luck with your project!  Let us know how it works out! 

Chatt69chgr

I bought a 4X10 8 ohm spkr from turnswitch.  But several folks have made a plate and put two smaller speakers on it.  Wire two of the 4 ohm spkrs in series and you have the correct 8 ohms impedence that our old radios need.  I saw a thread on this forum about this plate and I am thinking there was a picture of it.  It bolted up to the existing attachment points.  Was a pretty good idea and allows you to get speakers locally.  I do want to say that I had very good service from turnswitch and have no problem recommending him.  Talked to him on the phone too.  Very nice person.  His price is very reasonable.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Chatt69chgr

I didn't check but the first of these 4X10 speakers had a voice coil impedence of 4 Ohms.  Can't use that.  Draws twice the current through the output transistor that the 8 ohm one does.  The old speakers that these old thumbwheel radios were designed to work with had a voice coil impedence (the resistance at 1000 Hz) of 8 Ohms. 

ODZKing

Are you sure of that. Most factory car radios require a 4 ohm speaker.   :shruggy:

Chatt69chgr

Most, if not all, modern cars use 4 Ohm speakers.  69's don't.  Back in the stone age, most everything used 8 Ohms.

bull

If it were me, and it will be soon enough, I'd go with the Shakey dash speaker setup:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,28517.0.html

Brock Lee

You should be able to run the two speaker setup like shown in that dash setup with 2-4 ohm speakers in series. That would give you an 8 ohm load.

1968 Charger B5

I took the original bracket and bolted 2    3 1/2"  speakers to it, was waay cheaper and they sound great. Fade the radio 2/3 to the rear so you dont pop them thats all..
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1970 Dodge Charger
1974 Plymouth Roadrunner
1998 Jeep Cherokee SRT

Nassau1969

What about the little speakers that go in the front corners not the single center one.