News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's Your Feelings on these Wiretapps?...

Started by Brock Samson, December 20, 2005, 08:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimShine

I am not going to get all worried about it, butif it were my choice I would rather have more freedom and less security.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 21, 2005, 02:10:37 PM
Your neighbor could decide one day that he's sick of you blowing leaves into his yard and get revenge on you by...I don't know...claiming that you seem to be hanging out with middle-easterners a lot.

It would never happen. They all know that with one slip of the lip, their houses could all "accidentally" burn to the ground. :angel:

I won't say you're completely wrong, because I won't claim to know exactly how far they could go with their wire taps, searches & covert operations. I'm just saying that if an individual has nothing to hide, there should be no problem. I believe that the NSA would use a bit of common sense in who they monitor & that an individual who has nothng to hide, would be shrugged off as such.

So far, I agree with what they're doing & that whoever leaked this info should be hung by the nads in Times Square for a week.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

hemi68charger

Quote from: JimShine on December 21, 2005, 02:35:04 PM
I am not going to get all worried about it, butif it were my choice I would rather have more freedom and less security.

Wouldn't we all Jim....... But, it ain't that way..... Unless people don't care for the occassional explosion..........  Hard cold truth........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Brock Samson

"So far, I agree with what they're doing & that whoever leaked this info should be hung by the nads in Times Square for a week."

...which info is that now?..

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Stratocharger on December 21, 2005, 02:41:03 PM
"So far, I agree with what they're doing & that whoever leaked this info should be hung by the nads in Times Square for a week."

...which info is that now?..
The whole "the government's spying on us with wiretaps" info...that was 'leaked' the NY Times. :scope:
Which wiretap thing are you talking about? :ahum:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Old Moparz

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 21, 2005, 02:35:57 PM

I believe that the NSA would use a bit of common sense in who they monitor & that an individual who has nothng to hide, would be shrugged off as such.

Common sense in a government agency?     :smilielol:

Fortunately for us all, the FBI has been on the job:

The best-known, most notorious version of the song "Louis, Louis" was a hit in 1963 for the Kingsmen; the FBI spent two years investigating the lyrics before declaring they not only were not obscene but also were "unintelligible at any speed."
Two years? The FBI spent two years investigating the lyrics of a song? We can only hope President Bush awards the agents a Medal of Freedom.

http://www.seeingtheforest.com/archives/2005/05/louie_louie_ban.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie,_Louie

http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/louie.htm
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Orange_Crush

Before you give me the whole "the Patriot Act prevents terrorism" song and dance, remember one thing.

Before 9/11, the FBI was aware that there would be a terrorist attack and they knew HOW it was gonna happen.

This was before the patriot act occured.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Shakey

Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 21, 2005, 03:14:15 PM
Before you give me the whole "the Patriot Act prevents terrorism" song and dance, remember one thing.

Before 9/11, the FBI was aware that there would be a terrorist attack and they knew HOW it was gonna happen.

From what Bob tell us, the FBI was swamped!

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 21, 2005, 03:09:55 PM
Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on December 21, 2005, 02:35:57 PM

I believe that the NSA would use a bit of common sense in who they monitor & that an individual who has nothng to hide, would be shrugged off as such.

Common sense in a government agency?     :smilielol:
Hmmm...I quess I did say an oxymoron there, huh? :crazy: :lol:

Before 9/11, their hands were tied more tightly. With the Patriot Act, they had/have more freedom to act if they get reliable info on an impending attack.

I believe they did know something was gonna happen...they just didn't know WHEN. I don't think it's realistically possible to stop something from happening if you don't know when it's gonna happen.

If something similar was going to happen today, I'm sure we would have a lot more warning than we did on 9/11, wouldn't you agree?

JimShine

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 21, 2005, 02:39:12 PM

Wouldn't we all Jim....... But, it ain't that way..... Unless people don't care for the occassional explosion..........   Hard cold truth........

Troy

I know I am a minority on this, but if I could choose I would tather die in a bombing on our own land and free than monitored until I am an old man. I just like privacy and would rather die than lose any of it.

hemi68charger

And just how do you think they knew? a future-teller 8-ball?  No, a matrix of surveillance and intelligence collecting methods, of which, our President is trying to utllize and bring into the "lawful" realm..  And to think that the Democrats are questioning such practices when it was THEIR administration that was collecting it........  Bush was handed this, Clinton knew about this.........  I'm not trying to pick on ya OC, I've just heard this argument way too many times from academic liberals who wish to live in a warm-n-fuzzy world......... Well, so do I, but I also know the risks involved and the failure to do something.. Checks and Balances don't work against people set on destroying others and not caring if they are as well.........

Troy

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Orange_Crush

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 21, 2005, 03:44:27 PM

And just how do you think they knew? a future-teller 8-ball?   No, a matrix of surveillance and intelligence collecting methods,

Correct.  a PRE-9/11, PRE PATRIOT ACT matrix of surveillance and intelligence collecting methods.  As well as ordinary citizens reporting suspicious activity (reports which were largely ignored, BTW).

Do you honestly think that would-be terrorists are gonna make it so easy that they can be caught by the provisions enacted by the patriot act?  c'mon now.

I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

hemi68charger

Quote from: JimShine on December 21, 2005, 03:44:19 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on December 21, 2005, 02:39:12 PM

Wouldn't we all Jim....... But, it ain't that way..... Unless people don't care for the occassional explosion..........  Hard cold truth........

Troy

I know I am a minority on this, but if I could choose I would tather die in a bombing on our own land and free than monitored until I am an old man. I just like privacy and would rather die than lose any of it.

That's cool.. But, I bet you there isn't one thing that you couldn't do from mowing your yard to walking up to the White House and protesting.....  This land of ours is very free.... Those bastards will never take that away, but at the same time, I don't want my children at risk if I set them on a plane or go cruising on a public train/subway........  I would much rather die keeping my land safe.... But, like you, I may be in the minority...........   See........... We are expressing ourselves( very cool ) and I bet the FBI doesn't care one hoot about a Charger board... But, then again, it could be the perfect place for "terrorists" to be PM'ing each other... The heck with yahoo, lets PM back and forth via a car discussion board..............

Troy
Troy

hemi68charger

Quote from: Orange_Crush on December 21, 2005, 03:48:54 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on December 21, 2005, 03:44:27 PM

And just how do you think they knew? a future-teller 8-ball?  No, a matrix of surveillance and intelligence collecting methods,

Correct.  a PRE-9/11, PRE PATRIOT ACT matrix of surveillance and intelligence collecting methods.  As well as ordinary citizens reporting suspicious activity (reports which were largely ignored, BTW).

Do you honestly think that would-be terrorists are gonna make it so easy that they can be caught by the provisions enacted by the patriot act?  c'mon now.

Nope, I don't. They are smart individuals......... And the administration knows it..... But, I'm also not going to stick my head in the ground or at the other extreme, be all that concerned if government is "looking/listening" my way.....  This is one Administration's attempt to DO SOMETHING....... I don't see anyone in Congress doing anything but bitching........  Screw the politics and lets DO something..... That's why I volunteered to be activated post-9/11 and went to Iraq.... Doing nothing will never work. It takes EVERYONE to fight this war.. And to the people out there who don't think it's a war, you're so naive......

I'm not saying Bush is perfect, but at least he has his priorities straight. I've looked into his eyes and have spoken to him when he signed my Bill into Law and the man is sincere.

Troy
Troy

Charger_Fan

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 21, 2005, 03:58:45 PM

Nope, I don't. They are smart individuals......... And the administration knows it..... But, I'm also not going to stick my head in the ground or at the other extreme, be all that concerned if government is "looking/listening" my way.....   This is one Administration's attempt to DO SOMETHING....... I don't see anyone in Congress doing anything but bitching........   Screw the politics and lets DO something..... That's why I volunteered to be activated post-9/11 and went to Iraq.... Doing nothing will never work. It takes EVERYONE to fight this war.. And to the people out there who don't think it's a war, you're so naive......

:cheers:

Brock Samson

Just for the record since I brought it up...

in April or May prior to 9/11 On T.V. I saw a terrorism expert fully predict the Sept. attack in detail, and it disturbed me so much at the time, because I thought, "He's probably right". and it disturbed me so much at that time I  changed the chanel...   :-\ I was reallyt Concerned...
...And hoped the Govt. would be "responsive" to such an obvious threat.

:'(

Orange_Crush

Quote from: Stratocharger on December 21, 2005, 04:39:56 PM
Just for the record since I brought it up...

in April or May prior to 9/11 On T.V. I saw a terrorism expert fully predict the Sept. attack in detail, and it disturbed me so much at the time, because I thought, "He's probably right". and it disturbed me so much at that time I   changed the chanel...     :-\ I was reallyt Concerned...
...And hoped the Govt. would be "responsive" to such an obvious threat.

:'(

Almost a year before 9/11, my father and I were talking about terrorism and he predicted a 9/11-type scenario.   It disturbed the hell out of me as well.

hemi68charger

To think there wasn't an effort to try and stop something like that is wrong. If you think the "media" were the ones with the inside scoop, think again....... What were the details? A bomb?, planes flying into buildings, the Pentagon or just generic guesses........  It's a no-win situation any way you go about it... The Administration hadn't been there all that long..  Maybe there should have been better "hand-off" notes from the previous one to the next one... As with Iraq, you just don't know where you're going to get nailed, all you know is that it's going to happen....... If we try to be 100% safe, then people call that Marshall Law.. If we disclose what we're going to do, well, the "bad guys" will turn left when they know we're going to turn right........  We as a country have to trust the officials that are in office on topics such as this, whether or not you voted for them or not.. I don't think any President is trying to pull a "fast one" on us.......... When was the last time, other than airports, where you were directly affected by anything of higher security measures...  My freedoms haven't been lessened one bit......... 

Troy
Troy

Steve P.

How do you think they found out about Clintons squiglys on Monicas dress??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Big Lebowski

Yep OC, Ruby Ridge and Waco proved one thing. If they want you dead, your dead, that's it. So when a Nuke goes off in LA or NY, maybe you'll agree, we should track down these camel sodomizers now while we still can.
  In the civil war, the Pres. imprisoned some press & a candadite for Gov. for being traitors, in WW ll  they rounded up Sulu from Star Trek and all the other Japanese and they were "moved". That was war, and this is war...unfortunately a nuclear weapon is going to have to go off in an American city, to prove to some people that we are at war.

A. Iran is building a Thermo Nuclear Weapon right now at 21 nuclear facilities.
                       B. Iranian Pres. said last week..."We will wipe Isreal off of the map"
                       C. Iranian Pres. said this week..."The Holocaust never happened"
                       D. It's a good thing that I'm not in charge, Iran would not be building a nuke tomorrow.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Big Lebowski on December 21, 2005, 08:20:39 PM

D. It's a good thing that I'm not in charge, Iran would not be building a nuke tomorrow.
Me too, because it would be a parking lot today. :D

my73charger

ITs a good thing I'm not in charge.  The entire Middle East would look like one great big kitty litter box by now. :patriot:

ChargerBill

Actually, enough nukes and all that sand would turn to glass...it woulde be a pretty and sparkly parking lot.

Seriously though, all this anti-war and anti-Bush obfuscation is fine and dandy, but it isn't going to get the job done now is it? War isn't pretty, isn't simple and isn't a bed of roses. We ARE at war with terrorists and we need these capabilities (and IMO more) to keep track of them and hinder any future attacks. The liberal media is a bunch of pansy turncoats, and anyone who buys into their BS is just sticking their head in the sand and fooling ONLY themselves.
Life is a highway...

Steve P.

Quote from: my73charger on December 21, 2005, 10:07:52 PM
ITs a good thing I'm not in charge.   The entire Middle East would look like one great big kitty litter box by now. :patriot:

What, it doesn't??  :devil:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

hemi68charger

Looks like the Patriot Act has some breath left........

Troy
Troy