News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PCV Valve

Started by TylerCharger69, August 08, 2010, 09:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikepmcs

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on October 16, 2010, 04:36:57 PM
Those valve covers come with the baffles  although you have to install them yourself.  They are in a separate bag when they are brand new....at least mine came with them

concur.  i have the same ones.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Piston_Freddy

Here's what happens if you don't install PCV valve or breather!
Max rim size:15"

elacruze

One point that always gets confused in these discussions is the difference between 'Ventilation' and 'Vacuum'. PCV valves run to the air cleaner, not to manifold vacuum-there is very little pressure drop in the air cleaner so it will not produce any crankcase vacuum. Think of it more like a fan than a pump.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

b5blue

My stock Six Pack connects the PCV to the base of the center carb. not the air cleaner. (FYI)

flyinlow

The PCV valve and the evaporative control canister are both benign emission controls. No draw backs , except the weight of the device and some occasional maintenance.

The positive crankcase ventalation valve draws a metered amount of air/vapor from the valve cover. This air/vapor is drawn from the crankcase and consists of air,oil vapor, and piston ring blow by (unburnt fuel and partially burnt fuel). In a healthy engine, at idle and part throttle there is not excesive blow by so some of the air/ vapor required by the PCV valve is drawn thru the opposite valve cover breather. The air/vapor is then run thru the engine and burned ,reducing emmisions.

The system helps keep gasoline and water vapor out of the crankcase and oil, extending the life of your oil and inderectly your engine. Carbs on a PCV valve equipt engines are calibrated for the air/vapor that gets drawn thru the system. Just plugging the port on the carb does change the A/F slightly. The system is operational at idle,part throttle and cruise when there is vacuum in the intake. It does not do much at WOT and does not reduce power output.

If you have a race car and don,t want to mess with it, fine. I would not remove it on a street car.  :Twocents:

elacruze

Quote from: b5blue on November 03, 2010, 04:15:07 PM
My stock Six Pack connects the PCV to the base of the center carb. not the air cleaner. (FYI)

Does the PCV valve see manifold vacuum on that setup? I think I remember some others going to the carb too, but I thought they were above the throttle plates.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Brass

A short-term fix for the fuel line: cut another, larger hose lengthwise so you can slip it over the existing line like a sleeve.  The extra insulation near the engine should be a little safer.

b5blue

Quote from: elacruze on November 03, 2010, 09:15:39 PM
Quote from: b5blue on November 03, 2010, 04:15:07 PM

Does the PCV valve see manifold vacuum on that setup? I think I remember some others going to the carb too, but I thought they were above the throttle plates.

Yup...there is a slot in the base below the plates (runs to both barrel bores) that feeds the tube fitting for PCV. Sucks like a shop vac!  :yesnod: (I can post a pic later)

Manifold

Quote from: elacruze on November 03, 2010, 08:25:37 AM
One point that always gets confused in these discussions is the difference between 'Ventilation' and 'Vacuum'. PCV valves run to the air cleaner, not to manifold vacuum-there is very little pressure drop in the air cleaner so it will not produce any crankcase vacuum. Think of it more like a fan than a pump.
Incorrect. The PCV valve gets connected to the PCV port on the carb. The breather on the opposite valve cover is connected to the air cleaner and either has its own filter or draws air from inside the air filter to get its filtered air (if so equipped; an aftermarket breather cap has the filtering media inside the cap). The idea is the clean, filtered air is drawn into the engine and exits through the PCV valve on the opposite bank.

elacruze

:iagree: :shortbus:

I wish I knew what happened to my memory sometimes. :shruggy:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

lighting74

ford makes a oil cap breather to fit those valve covers i run the same ones went back to a older ford 302, 351 like a 80 model they have the ears on the bottom to fit in the valve covers and a open gromment in the top you put your pvc on the drivers side and on the passenger side a have a 90 degree plasctic elbow that is a rubber hose that goes and runs up and mounts to the bottom of the air cleaner it is a crankcase breather just like the factory came out with

Piston_Freddy

I bought a set of these grommets 

What kind of PCV and breather I have to buy now?

Piston_Freddy

Quote from: Piston_Freddy on November 27, 2010, 04:57:36 PM
I bought a set of these grommets 

What kind of PCV and breather I have to buy now?

Someone has to now? :popcrn:

terrible one

Hard to know without sizes, etc. Here's what I did when I got my old M/T covers. Someone had cut their own pcv/ breather holes and they were different sizes.

Measure the diameter of the hole in the valve cover.
Figure out the diameter of the PCV valve or breather neck you want to use.
Then, go to the parts store and get grommets with an OD the same as the hole in the valve cover and an ID the size of your PCV or breather neck.

If those grommets you got fit the hole in the valve cover, just get a breather or PCV that is the correct diameter to fit inside the grommet.

Piston_Freddy

I used Part Number :P5007921 grommets, they are .75 in. Inside Diameter.Parts store guys want to now PCV and breather part numbers....

terrible one

Quote from: Piston_Freddy on December 06, 2010, 11:16:30 AM
I used Part Number :P5007921 grommets, they are .75 in. Inside Diameter.Parts store guys want to now PCV and breather part numbers....

I still say just find a .75" diameter breather and/ or pcv valve that you like and use those. There should be some chrome rinky dink breathers in the chrome bullshit section of the auto store, can probably find a PCV in the HELP! section. Just find one you like the look of with a .75" diameter neck and there you go!