News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PCV Valve

Started by TylerCharger69, August 08, 2010, 09:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TylerCharger69

I was looking at some pics on the forum here  and i noticed the most recent pic added was of an engine with no pcv valve but breather filters on both valve covers.....What are the pros and cons of this setup?  Im running a pcv  on one valve cover....and a breather on the other currently

TylerCharger69

TylerCharger69

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

b5blue

I run mine per stock (440 .060 overbore with a six pack) and have never had any issues.  :yesnod: (Even before the rebuild with the nasty 509 cam)

TylerCharger69

After reading the threads Mike posted.....is it safe to say that the entire PCV system is kind of the same premise as having to open up a big tin can of juice with and old "church key" on both sides so it can pour?   I don't have blow by issues, but currently, I have a PCV on one valve cover and just a sealed cap on the other.   Its clear I need to incorporate a breather on the opposing side.    NOW......what would happen if a PCV valve was run from BOTH valve covers?   I've seen this before too.   Or would that be one pulling against the other and defeat the purpose?   Very interesting thread!!!   Thanks for posting those thread links Mike!!

gtx6970

QuoteOr would that be one pulling against the other and defeat the purpose?
Yes

PCV system NEEDS incoming air to function properly. without a good crankcase evacuation system of some kind there is going to be seal leaks

If you run a PCV without an open vent on the opposite side, it is going to pull air from somewhere, probably past the rings. And regardless of how good of a ring seal one has, It will ALWAYS will have a small amout of blowby

Piston_Freddy

Can you see the problem here?

What will happen if I run the engine like this?Gasket leaks?

Max rim size:15"

mikepmcs

besides that  it needs a breather....
what's that rubber hose on the left side along the aircleaner?
is that a fuel line???  :o
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Piston_Freddy

Quote from: mikepmcs on October 11, 2010, 05:12:47 PM
besides that  it needs a breather....
what's that rubber hose on the left side along the aircleaner?
is that a fuel line???  :o
Yes that is a fuel line, whats wrong with it?

TylerCharger69

Well.....a rubber hose being that close to the engine itself is a disaster waiting to happen.   It may not be hot enough to burn through, but the heat is sure to weaken the integrity of the hose and cause it to become brittle and crack.  Ive also HEARD,  (note the emphasis on "heard") that a rubber hose in that location can cause vapor lock, but i haven't witnessed that myself.  I have a rubber hose, but it's routed on the fender firewall and then straight to the carb with an inline filter also mounted on the firewall.

mikepmcs

yup need to get rid of that rubber hose and get some metal in there. at the very least get it up and off the motor away from the heat(until you get some other line).  :2thumbs:

chargd72

To answer your question, I don't think you'll have gasket leaks since you don't have pcv vacuum to create negative pressure. Without a pcv or a breather your asking for some vapor build up which only leads to bad things. I'm not an expert, just relaying what I've read. But if I were you, I'd run the correct setup with breather on one side and pcv on the other.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Al

Quote from: chargd72 on October 11, 2010, 11:41:38 PM
To answer your question, I don't think you'll have gasket leaks since you don't have pcv vacuum to create negative pressure. Without a pcv or a breather your asking for some vapor build up which only leads to bad things. I'm not an expert, just relaying what I've read. But if I were you, I'd run the correct setup with breather on one side and pcv on the other.

What would be a good PCV valve to use? I got the standard replacement plastic one and it keeps falling out of the rubber grommet.
Al
1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

Piston_Freddy

Thanks for the input! I will deal with these problems! :2thumbs:

bull

Quote from: Al on October 12, 2010, 05:25:30 AM

What would be a good PCV valve to use? I got the standard replacement plastic one and it keeps falling out of the rubber grommet.
Al

Sounds like you need a new grommet.

Al

Quote from: bull on October 14, 2010, 03:11:52 PM
Quote from: Al on October 12, 2010, 05:25:30 AM

Al

Sunds like you need a new grommet.

I got the cast aluminum Mopar valve covers, the grommet is new.

Piston_Freddy

Do mopar performance valve covers have baffles inside, to prevent oil coming through PCV valve in to the intake?

bull

Quote from: Al on October 15, 2010, 02:12:59 AM

Al

[/quote]

[/quote]

Something's the wrong size then it seems. I got a new grommet and PCV valve from my Dodge dealer and it's tighter than my cheap brother.

Manifold

Quote from: Piston_Freddy on October 15, 2010, 03:17:05 PM
Do mopar performance valve covers have baffles inside, to prevent oil coming through PCV valve in to the intake?

I'm glad someone brought this up. If you add in a PCV valve and a breather, be sure you have baffles underneath each of them... unless you like an oily mess on the top of your valve cover. The aluminum MP valve covers have the provisions for baffles to be added. Didn't buy mine new, but the PO didn't bother to install a baffle under the breather (there was one under the PCV valve) and the top of the cover gets quite messy. Some self tapping screws and a piece of sheet aluminum made quick work of that issue.

myk

Quote from: mikepmcs on October 11, 2010, 08:13:49 PM
yup need to get rid of that rubber hose and get some metal in there. at the very least get it up and off the motor away from the heat(until you get some other line).  :2thumbs:

Wow, I've run a rubber line just like that since I've owned the car.  I guess I'd better look into steel lines ASAP...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Piston_Freddy

Quote from: Manifold on October 15, 2010, 09:19:30 PM
Quote from: Piston_Freddy on October 15, 2010, 03:17:05 PM

I'm glad someone brought this up. If you add in a PCV valve and a breather, be sure you have baffles underneath each of them... unless you like an oily mess on the top of your valve cover. The aluminum MP valve covers have the provisions for baffles to be added. Didn't buy mine new, but the PO didn't bother to install a baffle under the breather (there was one under the PCV valve) and the top of the cover gets quite messy. Some self tapping screws and a piece of sheet aluminum made quick work of that issue.
Thanks, probably my valve covers ain't got them.

Al

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Something's the wrong size then it seems. I got a new grommet and PCV valve from my Dodge dealer and it's tighter than my cheap brother.
[/quote]

Are these the right ones? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4529882/

TylerCharger69

Those valve covers come with the baffles  although you have to install them yourself.  They are in a separate bag when they are brand new....at least mine came with them