News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

426 wedge question

Started by troy.70R/T, August 07, 2010, 03:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

I have an opportunity to get a 426 wedge. My questions are.
     1. what is the part number on the block so will know it is a true 426 wedge? I think it is a 63 casting date.
     2. What is a motor like this worth? it is complete.
     3. are 426 wedge motors a sought after motor? Thanks guys I need to move quick on this as they are in a junk yard and I do not believe the guy knows about their possible true value.

jar1292

Restoring a charger is like a saying I heard along time ago "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it".... Jesus I wish I could remember who said that...

bricklayer

might be a 413 sorry i can't help more but if it is cheap enough why wait if it's a bigblock from early 60's there wasn't much choice 383,413,426 sounds like i would just buy it and ask question's later  tom

troy.70R/T

I just want to make sure on the part #. I found a site that gave me 2 diffrent casting numbers. but not sure if one is a max wedge and one is just a wedge?   here are the numbers  2658836   and    2532230

ACUDANUT

I bet rings might be hard to find on a 426 Wedge.  Go to www.maxwedge.com and let us know if it's a wedge or a max wedge.

troy.70R/T

Thanks for the link ACUDANUT   I have not been back to look at the motor with my list of info yet but I think it is probably just a 426 street wedge. The reason is that it has just the single 4 barrel intake on it. I am also more certain that it is a 63  because it did not have a rocker arm shaft on the heads. They were individual rocker arms. I am going back to check on stuff just as soon as I figure out how much to offer him for it. I am also trying to figure out how much to offer him for a couple of 340's that he has.

ACUDANUT

My 63 Wedge is stamped "63" if that helps.

troy.70R/T

Are just plain 426 wedge motors sought after? I really only want to buy this motor so I can trade it for some charger parts or a 68 440  from what I read a person can just bore out a 413, there is plenty of cylinder wall thickness.

John_Kunkel

Never assume that any block will take a major overbore without first sonic testing it.

What are the numbers stamped in the data pad in front of the intake?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TylerCharger69

New rings shouldn't be an issue.....Just get oversized  and file fit them in there  as long as the thickness has the same tolerances that is.....

troy.70R/T

I do not know those numbers yet, but I will get them. If this is just a street wedge and not a max wedge do you it is worth $500.00?

ACUDANUT

I would ask that Question on www.maxwedge.com.....Let me know, as I am curious also.

troy.70R/T

I asked the question I will let you know?

Cooter

No Big Block Chrysler other Than the HEMI had "Individual Rockers"...

Those Rocker Shafts have the "Stands" under them if it is indeed a '63 engine...The ONLY difference in those heads and say a set of "516" heads are the rocker stands on the shafts...They are still Shaft mounted..The standard 426 "Street" wedge isn't all that popular as dsome of the industrial uses had this engine all the way up into the mid 70's....

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

troy.70R/T

Well then I must be wrong it was a quick look and I was not real sure what I should have been looking for at the time. I am going to go try and look at them tomorrow if the guy is going to be around. I will take some pics if I decide not to buy it. He also has some 340's. I did some research on them too. just thought if theses motors are worth it I would save them from the scrap yard.