News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

75 440 RV ENGINE BUILD

Started by DENNYSCARS, August 05, 2010, 09:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DENNYSCARS

I was hoping to get some of the great input from everyone for my 68 Charger. I originally purchased a date coded 383 that was built by a Craig Moiser (Ohio) on Ebay and have not had very good luck with it.  That is why I am going to build the Apr 75 440 RV motor I found.  Picked it up with a tranny / complete engine.  Supposed to have had only 35K miles.  Pulled the valve covers, real clean, possibly correct mileage. 

The charger was a stock 383 2bbl w/ air, ps, cruise control (added), 727 (rebuilt w/deep trans pan and shift kit), factory converter(rebuilt), 2.79 gear (looking for 3.23/3.55 posi).

Want to build 440 for cruising (nice rumble cam) and a little tire smokin' (maybe more) :lol:.  What can I do to it that will not cost an arm and a leg as I already gave both mine up in the resto? I need sugesstions on using the factory heads or eddy alums, what intake and carb (have a new 600 eddy), can I use the HP exhaust (have new TTI 2.5" "x" pipe exhaust system.  i dont mind investing $$$ but not if i dont "need " to to acheive my objective. :shruggy:

Brass

You will need to raise compression.  (Compression ratios dropped drastically after 71.)  I have been told by Ron (Firefighter) that 2355 forged Speedpro 6-pack replacement pistons are good ones to go with.  I also recommend topping it off with a Holley double pumper.  That 600 will get you down the road but it is really small. 

Otherwise, others on here might have some suggestions for how to make an RV engine perform.  You might want to read through the child board "Proven Engine Combos" in the "Engine, Transmission, Rearend, & Exhaust" section too.

Cooter

Yep, without tearing down and rebuilding (Rebalancing at least when going with new pistons), that '75 440 is junk unless totally rebuilt..It'll do a LITTLE tire fryin' but not much....Dumptruck motor...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

DENNYSCARS

Thanks for the reply Brass.  I have been looking at the performance and combos sites and my head is spinning.  So many recommendations. I thought I had a good engine with the 383,  but ...... I plan on taking the engine apart to check out what I have and what needs to be done. Will take the block to United Speed World here in Tampa, and get the block cleaned up.  Then will see what type heads are on the engine and whether to work them or put eddys or?  The intake will probably have to be swapped with ???.  I purchased an Eddy 600 CFM performer (recommended by the eng builder) but I dont particularly like its performance on the 383.

I know the RV engine is a dog but I believe it can be built to be a good 440. Does a 383 steel crank fit a 440?  what about the HP exhaust, intake, etc,

Cooter

No go on the 383 crank in a 440..Mains are different size, plus you'd have one helluva destroked 440..Not a good idea..Also, the 440 Intake and 383 intake are different...One's low deck, ones Raised deck...(Wider)..

As for the heads, exhaust manifolds, Valve covers, timing cover, oil pan, motor mounts, water pump, and crank pulleys they will all interchange..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Challenger340

The 75 440 Core can definately be built into an excellent engine.
The Block is as good as it gets, and depending upon "how much" power you want, there is certainly nothing wrong with the Cast Crank either at 500hp.

As mentioned, the biggest dump on the 440's in those years, was the total lack of any useable Compression ratio for performance, so the logical first step in the rebuild endeavor, should be to address that problem with better Pistons, the L2355 "Six Pack" slugs being a tried and true upgrade.

If you can swing a set of eddy Aluminum heads at that point, and the addition of a decent Camshaft, you WILL be very SHOCKED at the output.

NO, the 383 Crank does not fit the 440 Block because it has smaller main journal diameters being a "low deck" BB. Neither does the Intake Manifold.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

DENNYSCARS

Great info.  I appreciate all the input and replies. I will not be exceeding the 500 hp I guess the cast crank will do.  B5Blue is going to save me from the CHEVY people at United Speed World.  I knew they were tilted to CHEVY but the engine shop was in really clean and organized shape.  Unlike several shops around the Bay area.  Knee deep in shavings, grease and crud.  I did ask the question about the 383 crank fitting a 440 and he didnt know the answer.  That was certianly a clue to how many mopars he had reworked. It appears that the L2355 "Six Pack" slugs will be my choice.  Can you use the factory rockers with the Eddy heads?  Would roller be the best and what brand?  What is the difference in the 3 bolt and single bolt cams?  What about size for the cam?  Best manifold?  I alresdy have TTI exhaust system to fit the HP manifolds.  Will I still be ok with using them?  Also I just tried the E3 spark plugs in the 383 but because of other issues dont really have results.  Any from you guys?   

b5blue

You'll need to nail down head choice before buying pistons, I do think you will be fine with factory heads and HP exhaust manifolds, the deck height is a little higher on a RB than B so the exhaust system will need some massaging to sit higher and farther apart (not much). Get with Chuck and he can set you straight. I am wondering why not build the 383, it's a darn good engine?

DENNYSCARS

Thats a great question?  I was initially goint to drive around with the 383 I bought and build the 440 like I wanted, however, the 383 after a first run out had popped a head gasket (really think it was due to not being torqued cause when I went to remove the heads the center bolts were the only ones that were tight an popped when loosened). anyway I had exhaust in the water jacket blew the water out of the rad and water vapor was coming out the breather hose on the carb. The car stopped on the Howard Franklin bridge.  I think a rod or piston might have got overheated or.....  cause after removing the heads and replacing the gaskets it has a knock on 4 or 6. Anyway since I cant drive it I guess it would make more sense to just re-build the 383.  I will call Chuck on Monday and arrange something.  I can still use the info everyone has given for the 383?

DENNYSCARS

:yesnod:guess everything is done, may as well just build the 383.....duh!

b5blue

Have ya got a Mopar B RB performance book? If your 383 is a real #### match engine it's worth saving.  :scratchchin:

b5blue

OK I reread your first post, "date coded" not numbers match, ether way the 383 set up correctly is no dog, you need the right intake, carb., ignition set up, and axle ratio to wake it up is all.  :2thumbs:

DENNYSCARS

dont have the performance book.  what and where can i get?  :shruggy:

DENNYSCARS