News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'71 Charger R/T

Started by furray, August 01, 2010, 09:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

furray

I have no picture so I know it would be hard to put a price on this car but I just need a general guideline to go by. I've been trying to get the owner to sell but as usual there is sentiment and the gon'a fix her up some day but after 2 long years of stoping and kindly asking I was finally aloud to take a quick look at it. Being aloud only to remove the tarp far enough to see the vin I saw the U code. The windshild was missing, black interior, buckets, console, only disapointment was no factory tach. The carpet was missing and I only saw 2 small holes in the floor pans. The front clip is off and in pieces,as well as the front suspension, so it isn't even a roller at this point. He says there is a air grabber hood but some pieces are stored off this property so I didn't see it. (this car could have been wrecked, I wasn't going to ask any pointed questions at this time ) The engine was in a shed and it looked clean, valve covers and intake were off. The 18 spline trans, bell housing and pistol grip shifter were laying close by also. It has the Dana 60 rear axle as well. It's Hemi orange, has the R/T doors,tail lights and a rear spoiler. Questions, I'd be suprised if it wasn't a real R/T but how do I tell for sure if I can get a better look ? He claims it's all # matching. How much could it really be worth not knowing anything about it and it being so torn apart ?

hemi-hampton

If you got close enough to see the U in the VIN then you should of got close enough to see the S for 2nd digit. This S will tell you real R/T. Should be WS23U1. Rare car with only 332 made. How much does he want? LEON.

furray

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 01, 2010, 11:47:29 AM
If you got close enough to see the U in the VIN then you should of got close enough to see the S for 2nd digit. This S will tell you real R/T. Should be WS23U1. Rare car with only 332 made. How much does he want? LEON.

I'm not sure about the 2nd # but I have no valid reason to doubt it, they are the 2nd owners. Thanks for the heads up on the S code, thats the kind of stuff thats good to know. It's taken more than 2 years of rejection to get this close. I wouldn't dare try to talk money now cause the money doesn't matter to them. I am wondering if it ever gets that far just roughly what to offer. Looks like a $1500-$1800 car to me but I could be way wrong.

RD

ramcharger hood is worth the amount you just stated... take that into consideration.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

hemi-hampton

And just a Dana will cost you that much last I knew. LEON.

brant

You'll be in the five figures if it's numbers are correct.

furray

Quote from: brant on August 01, 2010, 09:17:18 PM

#'s are all correct, he says. Even in it's depleted condition 5 figures ? Wish I could get a picture to post. I will work on that in the future. I just have to think up a reason to show back up there so soon after the last visit. I don't want to pester them and blow the whole thing. I can't imagine with the current prices of nice '71's that the car would be worth more than 25k put back together with nice paint & it's going to cost all of that if not more to get it back into nice condition. After all it's just a 440 car, nothing to special there, although it does have a low production figure it's no six pack or Hemi.

ACUDANUT

"Just a 440 Car" Are you on drugs ? That is the second best engine to have.  :slap:

RD

Quote from: furray on August 02, 2010, 09:13:36 AM
Quote from: brant on August 01, 2010, 09:17:18 PM

#'s are all correct, he says. Even in it's depleted condition 5 figures ? Wish I could get a picture to post. I will work on that in the future. I just have to think up a reason to show back up there so soon after the last visit. I don't want to pester them and blow the whole thing. I can't imagine with the current prices of nice '71's that the car would be worth more than 25k put back together with nice paint & it's going to cost all of that if not more to get it back into nice condition. After all it's just a 440 car, nothing to special there, although it does have a low production figure it's no six pack or Hemi.

its a 71 Charger R/T with the track pack option.  rare, desireable, and yes.. fully restored can pull 25K easy.  there were only 332 made with the engine/trans combo... so... rare is the key point plus the fact that its the last year of the R/T's and now you have desireable... a ramcharger hood and a dana rearend and you got really desireable.  4-5K for the car as it sits is not unheard of, especially with all the parts that he has available.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

rich4406bbl

Without any pics it's tough to determine a value but just start breaking down the numbers it is not a common car. 1 of 332 with a 4-speed, how many with the ramcharger hood? How many with the spoiler option (if original), is it Track-pak or Super Track-pak car. If it has the fendertag and broadcast sheet now your talking original documentation. Throw in the fact that it has the numbers matching drivetrain and that ads value. Based on these factors i'm sure that you are looking at a 10-12k initial investment just to get the car. Remember that 4-speed cars are about 1/10th the production figure of ALL 71 RT's made. $1500-$1800 might have bought you that car about 30 years ago!

rich4406bbl

I saw these items at the 2010 Chryslers at Carlisle show. Of course, asking and selling prices are (2) different things but if you need the parts you may not have any choice. These were not NOS parts. Gives you an idea about costs and why this car my be up in 5 figures to get.
71 Dana Rear w/driveshaft 3.54:1 (different than the earlier versions) $3000
RT doors $800-1200 pr
18 spline trans $750-$1100.00
4367s carter AVS (4-speed version) $375.00
70-71 exhaust manifolds (clean, no pitting) $500.00
71 Ramcharger hood, complete including switch, solenoid and hoses $2800
71-72 tailight assemblies $400

ACUDANUT

If this guy has a computer, he will know it's worth 10K...Even if it is a non running car. :Twocents:

472 R/T SE

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 03, 2010, 09:22:58 AM
If this guy has a computer, he will know it's worth 10K...Even if it is a non running car. :Twocents:

Yeah or if he gets the SPEED channel than he's watched BJ.  Hard tellin' then.  ;)

ACUDANUT

People who use BJ auction to set a price on their cars are seriously mental ill.
However, if you get his car for under 10k, your damn lucky. :Twocents:

AKcharger

Quote from: rich4406bbl on August 02, 2010, 10:26:54 AM
I saw these items at the 2010 Chryslers at Carlisle show.
71 Ramcharger hood, complete including switch, solenoid and hoses $2800

Rich

I looked all over that swap meet for one and only came up with 70 and 71-72 RR hoods! Do you recall who owned it? I've been searching for years

hemi-hampton

With the entire front clip & front suspension off/removed I'd think $10k is steep. More like $5k+ maybe :scratchchin:  LEON.

Chargerguy74

If it were me, and this thing was complete, matching, fender tag, vin, etc. the next time I went to visit him I'd have 10K cash in my hand (I think 5K would be an insult). It's one thing to throw out a number, it's another to show it in your hand. Depends on how bad you want the car. You'd find out right away how serious he is about keeping the car. That's just how I'd do things.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

rich4406bbl

To AKcharger: I don't recall who had it but it was a really clean setup and sold quickly. I got there on Thursday (set-up day) around noon and it was sold later that afternoon.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Chargerguy74 on August 04, 2010, 03:56:20 AM
If it were me, and this thing was complete, matching, fender tag, vin, etc. the next time I went to visit him I'd have 10K cash in my hand (I think 5K would be an insult). It's one thing to throw out a number, it's another to show it in your hand. Depends on how bad you want the car. You'd find out right away how serious he is about keeping the car. That's just how I'd do things.

Any buyer that thinks it looks like a $1,500 car to him is highly unlikely to now throw $10,000 at it because we said so :shruggy: :Twocents:  LEON.

RTDaddy

AK,
I saw that ramcharger set-up also, it went out in a truck Thursday afternoon.  Stuff like that sells quick. Remember" "Git thar fustus with the mostus, ($$$)."   ;D

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

Chargerguy74

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 04, 2010, 05:22:27 PM
Quote from: Chargerguy74 on August 04, 2010, 03:56:20 AM

Any buyer that thinks it looks like a $1,500 car to him is highly unlikely to now throw $10,000 at it because we said so :shruggy: :Twocents:  LEON.

I agree.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

71383bee

I think 10k is a bit steep.

There is a 71 R/T project N96 auto for sale now on moparts and its 4,800 firm.  I would start at high 6's low 7's maybe and go from there. 
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

hemi-hampton

tricky lugnuts

Agreed - maybe $10K for a decent survivor style car that is mostly intact and runs and drives and doesn't need major metal replacement - but anything less than that caliber of car, $10K sounds a bit steep.

I'd check out the R/T on Moparts. $4,800 isn't bad. He says it's kind of rusty, but he's in Nevada so who knows what that means . . .

furray

Ok everyone please excuse me for my ignorance. I'm not a Dodge person but I want to be one. But I did find out some more about it from a 3rd party,( if he can be trusted). It was wrecked, bad. Thats why the frint clip windshield, and all is gone, totaled, nothing salvagable not even the hood. He thinks it was all thrown away years ago. The front suspension on the pass side is gone, missing, unibody is supposed to be damaged somewhat but fixable. I'm going back down to make a offer this weekend (if they will listen) and that will be that. Thanks for all your input. I sure learned a lot from all you heapful people here.