News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cfm on Edelbrock Heads

Started by BBKNARF, July 31, 2010, 09:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBKNARF

Has anyone else flow bench performer rpm heads, 84cc, part #60191 ?
Edelbrock says these heads flow 291 cfm on the intake side @ .600" lift, before the work was started on mine the shop flowed them first and got 274 cfm @ .600" lift, can this be right  :shruggy:
After the work was done, opened the bowls up, deep porting, gasket match, good valve job and new valve springs they only flowed 296 cfm @ .600" lift, I was hoping for 310-320 cfm, even the guy at the shop was surprised, it should of been more he said, he could not cut any more material off because it was getting thin.
I reported this to edelbrock by email and never got a respond.
Now I wish I went with the Indy ez head.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

oldschool

Quote from: BBKNARF on July 31, 2010, 09:24:36 PM
Has anyone else flow bench performer rpm heads, 84cc, part #60191 ?
Edelbrock says these heads flow 291 cfm on the intake side @ .600" lift, before the work was started on mine the shop flowed them first and got 274 cfm @ .600" lift, can this be right  :shruggy:
After the work was done, opened the bowls up, deep porting, gasket match, good valve job and new valve springs they only flowed 296 cfm @ .600" lift I was hoping for 310-320 cfm, even the guy at the shop was surprised, it should of been more he said, he could not cut any more material off because it was getting thin.
I reported this to edelbrock by email and never got a respond.
Now I wish I went with the Indy ez head.
dont feel bad,nobodys heads that i've seen flow what they say they will. i have 3 indy sr heads and a indy 572-13,and none of them flowed as claimed. the sr,s were close thou.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

Challenger340

Welcome to the world of Cylinder Head marketing.

Thats about "right" from what I've seen, your Shops Bench is probably closer to real world. Getting the Eddy's much above 300 is quite an undertaking.

Different Benchs, different results.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

Mine flowed about the same as yours with a stage 1 portjob from PRH (see attached sheet). Dwayne says that these were some of the best out of the box e-heads he's seen to date and they typically flow in the 270cfm range as delivered.  :yesnod:

Bigger flow means bigger port volume which will reduce throttle response and low end power so going to a better flowing head (bigger ports) might actually hurt performance on a smaller displacement build. For a street type build i prefer a broad flat torque curve as opposed to big top end numbers and soft bottom end power.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BBKNARF

68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

elacruze

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 02, 2010, 09:37:50 AM
Mine flowed about the same as yours with a stage 1 portjob from PRH (see attached sheet). Dwayne says that these were some of the best out of the box e-heads he's seen to date and they typically flow in the 270cfm range as delivered.  :yesnod:

Ron

Ron, do you have the flow sheet from the as-delivered ports?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

ChargerST

What are the flow numbers for Chapman heads and the new Mopar Performance heads (with the Chapman design) for comparison?

Challenger340

Quote from: ChargerST on August 05, 2010, 03:12:37 AM
What are the flow numbers for Chapman heads and the new Mopar Performance heads (with the Chapman design) for comparison?

I haven't flowed the MP Heads or the Chapman design for comparison to the Eddy's on my bench.
That said,
THAT,
is where the confusion between comparisons of Different Heads, on Different Benchs, becomes apparent ?

Different Benchs can give Different numbers?
No Matter,
the eddys are "cost effective" for 550-600 hp with a little work on pump gas.

Only wimps wear Bowties !