News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Weird holes in Firewall?

Started by bakerhillpins, July 31, 2010, 08:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

So in my search for the perfect Charger I have looked at lots of pics recently but I don't recall ever seeing a firewall with these holes in it. They are up by the hood hinges on the top side of the arch in the firewall?

Anyone have any info on them? Is this someone's idea of a mod and for what purpose?  I have looked at lots of cars and none have those holes.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

mauve66

homemade for air cleaner hoses to take air from vented area behind hood
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

tan top

:yesnod: yeah like that idea , keep the hood looking stock  :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

oestermarken

Quote from: mauve66 on July 31, 2010, 08:56:42 AM
:iagree: cowl induction with room for the wiper motor :2thumbs:

Race car cowl induction:

/Brian
69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

b5blue

bakerhillpins

Quote from: oestermarken on July 31, 2010, 09:16:22 AM
Quote from: mauve66 on July 31, 2010, 08:56:42 AM
:iagree: cowl induction with room for the wiper motor :2thumbs:

Race car cowl induction:
/Brian

Really? I would think that it would be harder to grab air from the cowl area of the vehicle because at speed its a low pressure zone. IIRC.  :shruggy:

So that car may have been raced in the past then?  :scratchchin:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

moparstuart

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:  get some dryer vent   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

89MOPAR

No,there's high pressure area in front of the windsheild - think about it, air is getting packed into the windshield / cowl area as the car moves foward, air escaping around the sides of car / over roof    is at a lower pressure because it can slip by quicker.
   Thats why Chevy used cowl induction hoods on their hi perforamnce chevelles and el caminos.  Also AMC used one on their 71-73 Javelins with the Go-pak option.
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

oestermarken

Just try to open the fresh air vents under the dash at highway speed, and note how much air entering the car.. The engine will LOVE it :D

/Brian
69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

moparstuart

Quote from: oestermarken on August 03, 2010, 04:07:56 PM
Just try to open the fresh air vents under the dash at highway speed, and note how much air entering the car.. The engine will LOVE it :D

/Brian
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:    hey thats my poor mans air cond  .   

hemigeno

Quote from: moparstuart on August 03, 2010, 04:45:44 PM
Quote from: oestermarken on August 03, 2010, 04:07:56 PM

/Brian
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:    hey thats my poor mans air cond  .   

Yeah, I use R-255 in my Charger also... 2 windows down at 55mph...

rt green

maybe the guy loved his charger a little too much
third string oil changer

C5X DAYTONA

Don't they all have that option. ;D ;D
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

hemi-hampton

Same reason the California guys in the 60's turned there scoops around like on the reverse Teardrops, ect.  LEON.

bakerhillpins

Ok, so after a bunch of googling I couldn't find anything that seemed to come from an authority about the Hi pressure at the base of the windshield. Not that I require it I just couldn't come up with the right set of search terms. I don't think the high dollar race teams are ignoring the data either and I see your point. I had always figured on the more vertical windshields of old that a small circular moving air body (kinda like a carpet rolled up and laid across the cowl) would exist smoothing out the transition up and over the windshield. This 'roll' of air would push the hi pressure mass up over the top. But that doesn't make sense since its also going to slip off the sides of the hood. I was looking at it like the circular air mass that exists in the back of a pickup at speed with the tailgate up. (if you wonder about this search Mythbusters and tailgate on youtube).

On a side note. The cars that use the induction like the charger above, that comes in across the cowl to the fenders and back to the air intake. Ok i see that some air would flow due to the high pressure. But, because of the irregular shape of the cowl, the bends it makes and the crappy dryer vent duct you probably loose half or more of your velocity do to turbulent air flow?

I did find this little excerpt with a 71 charger in it.  :icon_smile_big:
http://www.a2wt.com/Wind%20Tunnel%20Testing.htm

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

C5X DAYTONA

bakerhillpins

Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on August 09, 2010, 02:11:33 AM
It is common knowledge that the air at the base of the windshield is a very high pressure area.  :slap:   Kinda of like is water wet..  :pity:  Google is how you learn your facts?      Well it works better than leaving it stock.    The (dryer duct) came from Spectrum Motor Sports.  One of the leader in cold air induction..

That's marvelous. Common knowledge to whom? I take it you were apparently born with all this wisdom.  :blahblah:

No, I use google to find information. That which I consume to form opinions and typically it leads to knowledge. I suppose you don't understand because you apparently already know everything.

There are plenty of examples where leaders are behind the times.

Thanks for being constructive.  :loser:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

71ChallengeHer

moparstuart

Quote from: bakerhillpins on August 09, 2010, 07:33:24 AM
Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on August 09, 2010, 02:11:33 AM
It is common knowledge that the air at the base of the windshield is a very high pressure area.  :slap:   Kinda of like is water wet..  :pity:  Google is how you learn your facts?      Well it works better than leaving it stock.    The (dryer duct) came from Spectrum Motor Sports.  One of the leader in cold air induction..

That's marvelous. Common knowledge to whom? I take it you were apparently born with all this wisdom.  :blahblah:

No, I use google to find information. That which I consume to form opinions and typically it leads to knowledge. I suppose you don't understand because you apparently already know everything.

There are plenty of examples where leaders are behind the times.

Thanks for being constructive.  :loser:
as stated earlier just go out and ride in a 60's b body and open the vents under the dash they are fed from the cowl vents and you will feel it and know it .  

bakerhillpins

Quote from: moparstuart on August 09, 2010, 09:32:57 AM
as stated earlier just go out and ride in a 60's b body and open the vents under the dash they are fed from the cowl vents and you will feel it and know it . 

I was just responding to his less than constructive post about me having the hi/low pressure situation backwards. I wasn't implying that previous statements were incorrect.  :cheers:

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

TylerCharger69

I agree i think the original question could have been answered without such sarcasm.....Some people don't know.....I think the "common knowledge" post was out of line in my honest opinion.   This is supposed to be a site for asking questions and getting help......actually......there are no such things as stupid questions.....but there ARE such things as stupid mistakes.....so the original post from bakerphillips is a legitimate question......There are lots of people here who are just brand new to the hobby....and we are glad to help out in any way we can!!!  Hats off to bakerphillips for asking the question....I'm sure many others didn't know the purpose for those holes either.   It IS however common knowledge that ANYBODY can act like an assclown!!  Thank You....and have a nice day.

C5X DAYTONA

Yes,  I was being a turd.   I'm sorry.   I should of been more politically correct with people I don't know.  This is not YouTube and this is a very cool site as is most everyone on it.   That was not cool on my part.  I deleted the stupid comment.   But how many times do people have to tell him why this is done and then he picked my car apart with his  (Crappy Dryer Hose) comment.   I posted fact with insult.  Just like you all do..  And then look how you all fire back.  Like ass clowns too.    :scratchchin: 

bakerhillpins

Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on August 11, 2010, 01:54:27 AM
Yes,  I was being a turd.   I'm sorry.   I should of been more politically correct with people I don't know.  This is not YouTube and this is a very cool site as is most everyone on it.   That was not cool on my part.  I deleted the stupid comment.   But how many times do people have to tell him why this is done and then he picked my car apart with his  (Crappy Dryer Hose) comment.   I posted fact with insult.  Just like you all do..  And then look how you all fire back.  Like ass clowns too.    :scratchchin:  

Thanks for manning up and saying sorry. Not sure I understand how you could have been more politically correct. Polite maybe?

Don't make this about me asking 1, 2, or 20 times. If I don't get it right away and need further explanation then be helpful or don't bother. It's that easy. This isn't a discussion about global warming or smart cars in the off topic section.

The comment that included Crappy dryer vent was referencing that posted by moparstuart 5 posts above yours. I did a poor job of making that distinction in my response and I am sorry that it came across as bashing your Charger as that wasn't my intent. In hindsight I should have directly referenced that post in mine. Again, I'm Sorry. I would have been receptive and apologetic before had you simply mentioned that in your post to me rather than retaliating.

I think the Fact with insult posting that you reference occurs between members of this board that have long standing relationships with each other. So its nothing more than playful banter between friends. From my point of view anyhow.

:cheers:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

bakerhillpins

Back to my original question:

In these cold air induction systems wouldn't you loose a large percentage of your perceived gains due to turbulence losses as a result of the irregular shape of the cowl and firewall holes as well as through the use of accordion type duct work? It would seem to me that the most efficient version of these systems is this one that vented directly from the cowl grille into a large smooth duct over the carb?

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Domino

:cheers: So on that note, anyone take advantage of the high pressure zone in front of the front tire(s)  old front engine porsche does, but if you hit a big puddle your rods can get...well, bent out of shape.

I think I saw a B-Body with "dryer vent" running through the inner fender where the battery is.  

Almost unrelated: on hot rod TV, they made 2 of the 4 rectangular headlights on some ugly chebby functional scoops with ductwork.