News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Took the Charger for its longest drive ever today

Started by bordin34, July 27, 2010, 11:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

So this morning I randomly decided to take my Charger for the 100 mile drive to the lake. The furthest I had ever driven it before this was about 15 miles. I packed it up, filled the tank and was on my way. The first half hour I was worried that it wouldn't make it. About forty-five minutes in three Datsun Z's, I think a 240,a 260,and a 280 came onto the highway and I cruised with them the rest of the way, they were headed to Nashville, I was in Northeast PA. I also played with an Audi RS4 which is a very fast car, over 400hp stock, he passed me like I wasn't moving and he wasn't even in it all the way. Anyway the car didn't skip a beat. I was able to average 15mpg cruising at around 75mph the whole way.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

71ChallengeHer

See, you could have made it to the car show.  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Aint nuttin better than seeing a classic Charger on the road. :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

b5blue

bordin34

Yup, it was lots of fun I'm hoping I can get 17mpg if I go about 65. Jackie, I actually didn't tell my mom until I got here.

Mahwah,NJ

71ChallengeHer

tricky lugnuts

:cheers:

Way to go!

See, you got to have faith in the old Charger - that it'll make it and that you can fix it if it doesn't!

I remember reading in my 1971 service manual that "most" malfunctions appear within 10 minutes of running or driving. If you can make it that long you can usually make it a lot longer!

I was scared as hell when I first started driving my Charger from Ohio down to Georgia and Florida and then out to California, but it held up great and made it in flying colors with a few minor delays.

But congratulations!!!

NYCMille

Dude, if you made it 100 miles you'll make it 1000 miles. The joy of these cars are driving them as much as you can so don't be afraid to do so. Also the more you drive it the more confidence you'll have it in the old boy and the farther you'll go. Next time plan a 500 mile round trip run... you'll be glad you did.

bordin34

The next long trip will either be College Park,MD or Carlisle. The car sounded great the whole time especially going up hills even though I have alot of exhaust leaks. Next time I'm gonna put the radio on I just scored and installed an Alpine head unit for $20.

Mahwah,NJ

vancamp

Road trips are fun  :2thumbs: right now a heat index hovering around 110 the triple black 69 without air doesnt make it to far out of the shop. :eek2:

1970Moparmann

That's what it's all about.  I just drove 1,600 miles (Hot Rod Power Tour) on my 68 with finishing up the mechanics the night before at 12:30.  It was a blast!  My friends thought I was crazy, I said hell it'll make it and it did! :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

NHCharger

Nice. When I tell people I drive my Charger to Carlisle (round trip about 1,200 miles) they look at me as if I lost my mind
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

ChgrSteve67

Yeah its really a lot of fun taking road trips.

First 100 then 500 then 1000 then 5000

A few parts will break here and there but that is also part of the fun.

I have a 6,000 mile trip planned for next year.
After that who knows.

I would love to do the Hot Rod Power tour, Carslie and the Woodward dream cruise some day.

I do know one thing I'll never be the road warrior NYCMille is unless I hit the lottery some day.

One thing for sure is keep that AAA card current.
Steve

Highbanked Hauler

Last year my son and I took his 74 Challenger from Raleigh NC. to Washington state and back in about 2 weeks and all that broke was the ignition coil,fuel filter and fuel pump which I would have changed before we left but he didn't give me time so it got done on the side of the road.
  I have driven the 500 from Mass. to Carlisle 3 times and to Roanoke Va. once and Englishtown NJ. twice, plus a total of 18K miles since I put it back together. I have burned an ignition box once and wrecked once coming home from Carlisle. Other than that I haven't had a problem with the car. With routine maintenance  and a new radiator I wouldn't have a problem going cross country.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

TexasStroker

Yep, just getting a little confidence built up will result in longer trips.  These cars were meant to be driven and I believe give the greatest enjoyment when that is what you do with them  :2thumbs:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

KWS

Quote from: NYCMille on July 28, 2010, 01:44:15 PM
Dude, if you made it 100 miles you'll make it 1000 miles. The joy of these cars are driving them as much as you can so don't be afraid to do so. Also the more you drive it the more confidence you'll have it in the old boy and the farther you'll go. Next time plan a 500 mile round trip run... you'll be glad you did.

Amen to that brother. I just did 6,000 miles in the Duster. The Xtreme Lee is almost done with it's minor make over and its gonna be my daily driver the whole month of August.

Drive that thing man, and enjoy every minute of it... Even if you have an issue, it's all part of the experience, and it'll gve you a good story to tell for the rest of your life!

TeeWJay426

Quote from: NHCharger on July 29, 2010, 09:08:09 PM
Nice. When I tell people I drive my Charger to Carlisle (round trip about 1,200 miles) they look at me as if I lost my mind

Um, Brian, that has NOTHING to do with you driving your Charger.....  ;)
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

moparstuart

Quote from: KWS on July 30, 2010, 02:13:30 PM
Quote from: NYCMille on July 28, 2010, 01:44:15 PM

Amen to that brother. I just did 6,000 miles in the Duster. The Xtreme Lee is almost done with it's minor make over and its gonna be my daily driver the whole month of August.

Drive that thing man, and enjoy every minute of it... Even if you have an issue, it's all part of the experience, and it'll gve you a good story to tell for the rest of your life!
I have enough stories already ,  too many in fact    :smilielol:,  But amen you have to drive them  :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

resq302

Hell, when I drove the charger out to Carlisle this year, I brought a spare brake caliper, starter, and alternator.  The one thing I didn't bring, which was my master cyl, crapped out on me.  Luckily, some guy was nice enough at the hotel to give me his pint of brake fluild so I could drive it home the 3 1/2 hrs.  The car drove like a dream and even had a PA state trooper come flying up along side of me and pace me for a while.  Both of them inside gave me the thumbs up and took off.

Dan, I was like you driving my car that long trip.  Usually any real long distance, I used to trail the car but of course, I had the bias ply tires on then.  Driving out to Carlilse this year, I had the radials so I felt better that the car would handle better.  Now after the trip, I have a lot more confidence in my car! :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

70charginglizard

Cool, reminds me of the trip I took out to the ocean last year for a really cool car show out there. That is what it's all about. Congrads on you adventure. :2thumbs:
70charginglizard

Wicked72

hmm I can push mine for awhile I mean its a bit lighter atm since shes gutted! :2thumbs: I did an entire drivetrain swap on my jeep in a little over a day and about 45 min after I finished firing it up for the first time I jumped in and drove it 8 hours the NC! I gots the faith!!! :rofl: Ive been thinking once I get my charger done Ill drive her all the way to Playboy Mansion from the other side of the US! I live in MD so that will be a ride of faith for sure!! :drool5:
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

mopar73

Bob T

Quote from: mopar73 on July 31, 2010, 02:23:36 PM
Drive, drive, drive, and drive some more!!

Exactly. Get the Fun Miles in. There's plenty on here with projects in the garage that are keen to be doing what you are. I did a 450 mile trip a little while back, man , the old girl ran like a train  :2thumbs:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

bordin34

Yup, it was alot of fun after I got past the worrying part. I will be at Carlisle next year with it. Before the trip I already replaced everything rubber on the car, hoses, belts, power steering lines, soft brake lines, rebuilt the front end, new alt, flushed the rad, new ingition, new dizzy, new front brakes and master, all new fluids, new front tires, and some other things so anything that would probably break I replaced. I also have a spare engine and parts at home.

Mahwah,NJ