News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Title Question

Started by maximoutlaw, July 27, 2010, 09:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maximoutlaw

The 1970 Charger I recently bought came from Georgia and has ony a bill of sale with it. Aparently in Georgia you only needed a bill of sale to register a vehicle so the old owner never had a title. Due to different regulations here in Kentucky, I need a title to transfer this vehicle or an old registration from the old owner. I can't get a hold of the old owner now so I'd like to know if there is a way to get a title in my name? The bill of sale is signed by both of us and notarized by a notary.
1970 Dodge Charger "General Lee"

Troy

Did the BMV tell you the car had to have a title? If Georgia doesn't require titles in their state (several states don't) then how are you supposed to get one? Call the main BMV offices and talk to someone who knows the regulations. I went through something similar here in Ohio and the local offices were no help at all - until I called Columbus and talked to someone who actually knew.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

lisiecki1

If nothing else check out www.its-titles.com.  They can get a title for most anything.  Probably cost about $150...
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

charger_fan_4ever

I went threw the same thing, but on the other side of the border.

Bought my 70 out of NH and anything older than 93 does not require a title. Had a notarized bill of sale and off i went to canada. Sailed threw customs and all no problem. Showed up with the border papers and notarized bill of sale at the licence bureau up here and that was a no go. To show the guy i bought it from actually had possesion of it in the first place I required to have somethiong from the NH DMV showing the car was in his name. I called all around same story. They understood the no title thing yet i had to have a registration card.

After a few months the seller was nice enough to mail me a registarion card.

Now anytime I buy something US side that is in a non title state before the deal is closed I ask for a registration card.

My last resort was going to be one of those title places broadway tiles or something like that.

maximoutlaw

After many failed attempts, I think I might have actually succeeded. My girlfriend goes to church with a guy who owns a lot of classic cars. Apparently his granddaughter works at the DMV office here in town. He told me to go see her on Monday so I went and she was busy so I had to see another assistant. Once again I got denied and returned home discouraged. I called the grandfather of the girl and told him that she was busy and the other lady wouldn't let me get it. He told me to try again today since they are usually busy at the end of the month. I went in today and his granddaughter was open. Sure enough she fixed me right up with the process to get a rebuilt title and I just now put all the paperwork in the mail. So hopefully within two to three weeks I'll finally have a title.

The only drawback is that I'm either going to get Historic tags and not pay taxes on it or get regular plates and spend 1000 bucks in taxes.

ChgrSteve67

Whats the problem with Historic tags?

maximoutlaw

There are suppose to be certain limitations to how far you can drive your car and to where. "They say" you are only able to drive them to car shows, parades and events like that.

ChgrSteve67

They say the same thing in CA but I have yet to hear anyone get a ticket or even stopped for it.

There is always a car show or parade to go to somewhere.

I don't think the state requires you to report your yearly mileage so there is no way for them to know.

Question:
If you got Historic plates could you change them over to regular plates later? If yes would you have to pay the taxes then?

green69rt

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on September 01, 2010, 04:12:23 PM
Whats the problem with Historic tags?

In texas the DMV told me that "Antique" plates mean that you can only drive on streets and local hiways (what she meant by "local" I didn't ask because I want to drive my car where I need to.)

ChgrSteve67

Texas is a big state.

Do they list the city or county the car is registered in on the plate?

I guess it would be best to talk to a Highway patrol or local police officer about it since they would be the one to decided weather or not to write you a ticket.  The DMV people are not exactly experts in vehicle code law.

Don't we have a few police officers on this fourm?

maximoutlaw

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on September 01, 2010, 08:04:26 PM

Question:
If you got Historic plates could you change them over to regular plates later? If yes would you have to pay the taxes then?

Yeah you would, or that's what I was told.

CornDogsCharger

I'm a little late on this post but I was going to say, couldn't you get a bonded title in Kentucky?  I would much rather have a "Bonded Title" than a "Rebuilt Title".  Rebuilt titles are usually what you would get after the vehicle has been totaled and rebuilt into something that is functional once again.  "Bonded Title" is where the vehicle never had a title, it was lost and the vehicle changed ownership, or something along those lines.  I guess it doesn't really matter now though.  Looks like you've got it going your way.  As mentioned before, I really don't think they can limit you to how much you drive your car.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Brock Lee

If the car is coming from a state that does not require titles on older cars, they will sort it out, but it may take some patience. I lived in a no title state, bought a car in a title state. Owned it for years and when I moved to a title state, I brought the many year old previous owners title to speed up my title process. The girl told me "If I accept this, the state will view this like you just bought it and you will have to pay state tax. If I pretend you didn't show this to me, and you had an officer run the VIN, I can get you a title as your car is an exception." That is what I did. It took like a month to get the title in, but I saved paying tax again and saved the previous owners title.