News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

E-brake mechanism question

Started by bull, July 20, 2010, 04:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

What angle is this bar supposed to be? Seems to me there's no reason for it to be anything but straight between point A and point B but I just don't know. I drew a straight line between the two points I'm referring to below.

b5blue

Looks like the rods been bent!  :yesnod:

oestermarken

69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

bull

Yup. Thanks. :2thumbs:

Wow, I just realized how low he kept the line for the black paint. It's quite a bit lower than the factory did it on mine.

doctor4766

Looks like someone bent it to stop the rod coming out too far when the brake's released.

I just had mine out the other day for that reason. (to investigate the problem)
Seems the little black grommet that stops the spring from coming through the hole had perished.
My solution was to open up a small split washer (with the hole diameter slightly larger than the rod) and fit it between the spring and the hole, thus stopping the spring from coming through the hole and making the operation of the park brake release all nice again.
Was gonna post a thread on this but seems this one will do.

Paul
Gotta love a '69

Iceyone

I think the rod probably gets bent after the pedals and cables get rusty and start binding up. The assembly on my Bee was bound up and the release rod was bent too. A trip to the bead blast cabinet solved the rust and binding issue. Straightened the rod and painted the whole thing black.
68 Charger
70 Super Bee
11 SRT8 Challenger
30 Chevy Universal

bull

Quote from: doctor4766 on July 20, 2010, 07:18:45 PM
Looks like someone bent it to stop the rod coming out too far when the brake's released.

I just had mine out the other day for that reason. (to investigate the problem)
Seems the little black grommet where that stops the spring from coming through the hole had perished.
My solution was to open up a small split washer (with the hole diameter slightly larger than the rod) and fit it between the spring and the hole, thus stopping the spring from coming through the hole and making the operation of the park brake release all nice again.
Was gonna post a thread on this but seems this one will do.

Paul

A roll pin would work too after drilling a small hole through the shaft.

doctor4766

A roll pin would work too after drilling a small hole through the shaft.
[/quote]

Nah don't think so cos you still need to pull the rod through the hole to release the brake.
The split washer (or the original grommet) will allow this but hold the spring in place in order that it compresses and resets the position of the handle after release. My spring was coming through the hole due to the lack of the grommet.
And I might point out too that the fitting of the split washer could be done with the assembly left in the car but would be a lil awkward without plenty of light and nimble fingers. I'd try it next time though.

Gotta love a '69

bull

Oh yea. :slap: :P

Anyway, I think they sell new plastic bushings too. :shruggy: