News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spark plug boots and wires

Started by frederick, July 18, 2010, 04:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frederick

Burned and melted the spark plug caps and the wires while running in the engine.
That's within one hour :flame:

They where NGK caps "protected" by Summit spark Plug Boot Protectors.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-350119/

They weren't touching the headers but are very close to it.

The Accel 9000 wires look like they would make it.
http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/sparkplugs/EX9000_Performance_Wire_Set.pdf

And a good test result.
http://www.4x4review.com/Reviews/ProductReviews/Electrical/Accel9000SparkPlugWires/tabid/271/Default.aspx

Got an electronic distributor from Performance Distributors, no DUI.

What would you guys recommend?

Frederick

firefighter3931

Quote from: frederick on July 18, 2010, 04:06:51 AM

What would you guys recommend?

A set of Firecores of course !  :icon_smile_big:

What headers are you running Frederick ? Can you post up a few pics of each side of the motor ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

frederick

Hi Ron,

I've got the cheapest headers I could find, cause there aren't any headers for my car.
They are the summit SUM-G9041, 1-3/4" primary tubes, full length headers.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9041/

They needed major surgery to make them fit, but all below the spark plug area.

Here are some pics of the engine bay.

Right side:

Left side:

And one of the burned caps.

Frederick

firefighter3931

Those have the same design as the more expensive Headman headers. A set of 8.5mm Firecores with 135* plug boots would work fine.  :2thumbs:

I'm surprised that they failed so quickly, especially with the kevlar socks. If the boots are plastic then it makes sense. Firecore wires use a silicone boot and the boot itself is compact to allow for greater clearance. Lots of guys use them with the same header style and stock cylinder heads with success.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

frederick

Thanks Ron,

QuoteI'm surprised that they failed so quickly, especially with the kevlar socks.
That makes two of us.
But looking at the NGK boots again, it looks as though they have failed from the inside out and they smell like an electrical burn too.

Hmm, there is a small resistor in those boots.
So maybe the resistor burned out, and the spark had to jump that gap, melting the boot. :scratchchin:

Just checked; all 7 NGK boots are burned.
Since I broke one I installed one normal rubber boot and that's fine.

Need to do some measuring and then I'll order the FirceCores

Thanks Ron,

Frederick

bordin34

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you could get Firecores with a fancy metal boot thing? I have Firecores with the standard boots and a Fiberglass sock thing and the sock touches the header and so far no problems with the boot melting.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

firefighter3931

Quote from: frederick on July 19, 2010, 04:34:45 AM

Need to do some measuring and then I'll order the FirceCores

Thanks Ron,

Frederick

Sure thing....lemme know the lengths you want and we'll get right on it  :2thumbs:

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: bordin34 on July 19, 2010, 10:16:28 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you could get Firecores with a fancy metal boot thing? I have Firecores with the standard boots and a Fiberglass sock thing and the sock touches the header and so far no problems with the boot melting.

Yes, there are metal shields available but Frederick won't need them.  ;)

The Kevlar sock with 135* boots will work perfect  :2thumbs:

Ron