News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

steering/alignment issues

Started by 70charginglizard, July 17, 2010, 08:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

Hey guys,
I recently put in a completely new Steering box and front suspension system. After doing so I brought it in for an alignment but I'm noticing an issue at freeway speeds (not to bad below 45-50mph though) it seems to really want to wave all over and the steering seems very sensitive. I'm constently correcting it. Do you think they perhaps just screwed up when they did my alignment of do you think an adjustment to the new steering box may be in order. The steering wheel seems really loose and sloppy to me?
Just thought I'd ask around before I dug into it.

Thanks
70charginglizard

maxwellwedge

Everything new? Everything (including box to frame) tight? Does the idler arm and other components have any slop in it? Tire pressure proper and equal all around?

gtx6970

sounds like pump pressure is to high, could be the pump or the control valve in the box itself

elacruze

Wide radials and non-stock offset wheels affect steering, and with stock suspension arms you are limited to about 1.5* of caster so that's likely your problem. These old cars were designed with narrow bias ply tires in mind.

I had mine aligned once, and it felt about as you describe. I went back and asked for the specs, they showed me 1/8" of TOE OUT-and showed me the misprint in the spec book they had, too.  :shruggy:
They set it to best caster and +1/8" toe and it worked ok. I bought tubular upper control arms for this go around.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

HPP

Need more info on the overall combo and associated changes to drill down to the issue. For example, what do you consider the "front suspension system" that you had replaced? To some people this is ball joints and tie rod ends. To others and is replacing everything you can unbolt. I take it things did not behave this way before the rebuild? You say the steering seems very sensitive, but then in the next sentance that it is sloppy and loose, which is it? What is your tire and wheel combo? What are your alignment specs?

70charginglizard

when I mensioned sensitive I really meant kinda sloppy. Constantly correcting it.

Although I think it may have just been underinflated tires. I checked that and found that they were all the way down to below 25 psi. Inflated them back up and it seems a lot better now. Think I'm good.  :2thumbs:
70charginglizard