News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

5.7 Hemi alternator in a '69 Charger question--not charging

Started by pettybird, July 01, 2010, 12:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

so this is in a '69 Daytona, and I carbed it, so no ecu to control voltage.  I was told (and the MP swap instructions say so) that the old school 70-up regulator will run the new (2004 truck) alternator.  Since I couldn't find any wiring diagram for the alternator, I hooked up the 12v switched and green output from regulator, 50/50, flip-a-coin style.  no dice.  Switched wires and nothing still.  Am I doing something wrong, or did I guess wrong and fry something?  the regulator previously worked with the old 440, and the alternator is a junkyard pull unknown. 

If I have to I can take the alt to autozone and have them check it.  I thought I might just be missing something stupid first. 

Thanks
Doug

NMike

the center wire on the regulator get power from the ignition. same wire also powers one side of the alternator field wires. the OTHER alternator field wire goes the the regulator in the outer pin (usually green)

the regulator must also be grounded.

pettybird

and that's how the regulator is hooked up.  I need to know how it connects to the modern alternator, though. 

John_Kunkel

The modern (Denso?) alternator should hook up the same as the '70 and later with a regulator, one field (either one) to the green regulator wire and the other field to the blue regulator wire and the threaded lug directly to the battery.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

pettybird

OK i'll take it off and cart it over to autozone...I'll update when I know more.