News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help! Mech fuel pump

Started by cougs, June 28, 2010, 09:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cougs

gang, I need some advice!  I just replaced a stock mechanicl fuel pump for a Carter M4589 high vol mechanical for my 68 Charger 383 but the new one is not pumping any fuel.  I fill the fuel bowl and it runs fine for about 30 seconds until the bowl runs dry.  I have a transparent fuel filter and it is dry and the line from the tank from the alternator is still dry.  Could this be the wrong pump? 

The car was running fine before replacing the pump.  Any ideas?

1968 Charger 383/727  Restored to Stock!

A383Wing

Bet the fuel pump rod fell down and the pump lever is sitting on top of it

I would check that first

cougs

Yeah, I'll need to check.  I thought the rod stayed up there when I was installing it but I guess it could have fallen out.

By the way,  I meant the fuel line under the alternator, not from, oh man!

62 Max

Quote from: A383Wing on June 28, 2010, 09:12:05 PM

I would check that first

If the rod fell down,I doubt you could get the pump on. :scratchchin:

cougs

That's what I was thinking.  It can't fall all the way out as long as the plug is in, can it?

A383Wing

Quote from: 62 Max on June 28, 2010, 09:52:21 PM

I would check that first

You wanna take that bet? pump will bolt on...lever will be on top of rod...use heavy grease to hold rod up to cam

<don't ask how I know this>

wrench

Chances are the pushrod is worn out. remove the pump, insert your finger in the pump cavity, pushing up on the rod and have someone turn the engine over by hand. if the rod moves at least 1/4 inch, your cam eccentric should be ok. then remove your pushrod and measure it. there is a thread on here that gives the measurement for the pushrod

A383Wing

Possible....but in first post he said car was running fine before he changed pumps....how could rod be worn out when it was working before?

charger2fast4u

Quote from: A383Wing on June 28, 2010, 10:08:51 PM
Quote from: 62 Max on June 28, 2010, 09:52:21 PM

I would check that first

You wanna take that bet? pump will bolt on...lever will be on top of rod...use heavy grease to hold rod up to cam

<don't ask how I know this>

i replaced my fuel pump pushrod and put on a new edelbrock mech pump that's interesting to know i'll start bein more careful to make sure that don't happen to me. i couldn't get it to bolt up when the pushrod was down it wouldn't line up it rod kept falling down. i would measure the 2 fuel pump levers that the rod pushs the new pump might be shorter and isnt contacting the rod.

tufamc

Just a thought,

I have a carter fuel pump on my amc 401, and when I installed it, I hooked up the fuel lines backwards. So it was tryint to pump from the carb to the tank!  :eek2: Just something to check out, especially sense it was running before

JR

btw... I had all rubber fuel lines at the pump location, i just mixed em' up....1 beer...2 beers...3 beers.........
69' Charger 383 4bbl, TF727.....for now......

John_Kunkel

You wanna take that bet? pump will bolt on...lever will be on top of rod

I'll take that bet because it's a physical impossibility, the distance from the pushrod hole in the block to the back of the pipe plug is only about 1 1/2"...the pushrod is over 3" long.

Even if the pushrod could drop far enough to allow the lever to sit on top of it the pushrod would fall into the pan.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

62 Max

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 29, 2010, 06:07:14 PM
You wanna take that bet? pump will bolt on...lever will be on top of rod

I'll take that bet because it's a physical impossibility, the distance from the pushrod hole in the block to the back of the pipe plug is only about 1 1/2"...the pushrod is over 3" long.

Even if the pushrod could drop far enough to allow the lever to sit on top of it the pushrod would fall into the pan.

Thanks John!  ;D

A383Wing

I'll take that bet because it's a physical impossibility,

Well, you believe what ya want....I have done it....

firefighter3931

Quote from: A383Wing on June 29, 2010, 08:05:29 PM

I'll take that bet because it's a physical impossibility,

Well, you believe what ya want....I have done it....

I've seen something similar....the fuel pump arm was sitting on the side of the rod. Found this out when it wouldn't prime ; we removed the fuel pump and the arm was bent off to one side.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

A383Wing

yea..mine was on top of the rod...fuel pump arm was bent up from bolting pump on

John_Kunkel

Quote from: A383Wing on June 29, 2010, 08:05:29 PM
Well, you believe what ya want....I have done it...

Good, why not prove it by posting dimensions that differ with mine, if there is only a 1 1/2" opening how do you expose the top of a 3.2" pushrod?

Having the lever jammed along side the pushrod like Ron said is a whole lot different than being on top of the rod as you claim.

A383Wing

I didn't say the lever was on the tip of the rod...I said it was on top of the rod....lever was bent beyond repair....

Wrong time of the month for ya John??  :D

62 Max

Quote from: A383Wing on June 30, 2010, 07:45:31 PM
I didn't say the lever was on the tip of the rod...I said it was on top of the rod....lever was bent beyond repair....

Wrong time of the month for ya John??  :D

I didn't see the word "Tip" anywhere in any of John's posts. :shruggy:

FLG

Simple miss communication, grab some beers  :cheers:

62 Max

Quote from: A383Wing on June 29, 2010, 11:36:22 PM
yea..mine was on top of the rod...fuel pump arm was bent up from bolting pump on

You couldn't tell something was wrong while you were doing it? Wouldn't want you putting my pump on! ::)

A383Wing

Not really....it was back in the 70's when I did it....was not real good at mechanics back then.....but I'm gooder now

62 Max

Quote from: A383Wing on June 30, 2010, 08:08:38 PM
Not really....it was back in the 70's when I did it....was not real good at mechanics back then.....but I'm gooder now

Gooder is better! :2thumbs:

cougs

I found the problem.  The fuel pump rod is missing about 3/8" off the cam end.  Looks like it's been wearing away for quite some time and is the likely culprit of my fuel delivery issues.

Where should I get a new one?  Can I install a new pump rod without replacing the eccentric circle?

Brock

A383Wing

If your car is a big block....there is no "eccentric" circle....the rod rides on the camshaft

You can probably get a new pump rod at most auto part stores...they may not have it in stock, but it should be available ......your call whether or not to put a new pump rod on an old cam....it might just wear the new one out faster

John_Kunkel

Quote from: A383Wing on June 30, 2010, 07:45:31 PM

Wrong time of the month for ya John?? 

Perhaps it's your language skills, look at Ron's description....."Fuel pump arm was sitting on the side of the rod" is more descriptive than your "lever will be on top of rod". Do you unscrew a bottle cap from "the top" or "the side".

BTW, thanks for the insulting PM and blocking any reply.