News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Let this be a lesson for you...

Started by RD, June 26, 2010, 11:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

LIFE LESSON, DO NOT RECREATE THE WHEEL, JUST LEARN FROM MY EXPERIENCE:

I just got done pulling the 440/727 out of the 71 New Yorker.  I still had it on the engine hoist with a chain holding the engine/trans with two bolts screwed in diagonally on each head.  The engine/trans was about 3 feet off of the ground so that I could have access to the converter bolts.

Out of nowhere, and I mean that literally and figuratively, I hear a huge POP! and I instantly react (amazingly fast I may add) and pull myself back and away from the engine, and boom another POP! and BOOM was the sound of the engine trans hitting the concrete while the chain rattled on the engine hoist hook.

Both bolts sheared from the weight.  They were grade 5 bolts.  not hardened, not strong enough.  The only thing that allowed me to type this to you tonight is that the bolt opposite to where I was sheared first and allowed me enough time to pull away from the engine just as the other sheared in two.

My head was right next to and underneath the driver's side exhaust manifold and I barely missed having a huge contusion, concussion or most likely being dead as the old exhaust pipe (freshly cut so I can remove the engine) was pretty dang sharp.  If that opposite bolt didnt go first, I am pretty sure I would be dead right now.

SO ON THAT NOTE, MAKE SURE YOU ALL USE GRADE 8 BOLTS OR HIGHER WHEN FASTENING  YOUR LIFT CHAIN TO YOUR ENGINE HOIST.  YOUR LIFE WILL DEPEND ON IT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

on a side note, I thought I was doing a very good job on safety today using my jack stands at all times, using two floor jacks to ensure stability, taking my time when lifting, and using a two person lift method.  My stupidity of using these bolts ruined my day's safety record.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

adauto

Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Dans 68

If possible use more bolts...there cannot be a factor safety large enough when you are under a suspended load.  :rotz:  Glad to hear it missed you.  :o

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

MoparManJim

I'm just glad he is okay! but that just shows you that at times the smallest detail can at times grab you or really make you think.

moparguy01

Damn dude I'm glad your ok. I think that's why I like the load leveler the best. They attach at 4 points.

jaak

Glad your oK! I will be sure to use grade 8 from now on!

Jason

mikepmcs

All that P90X stuff..i'm pretty sure you would have just damaged the motor if it fell on you, but thanks from the rest of us immortals.  I know i'll be using grade 8 for sure and plenty of them.  Message received.  :2thumbs:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

RD

i was seriously shaken up by the whole ordeal.. my wife was outside and saw the whole thing.  i just sat there in my chair and shook for a bit.  really thought about the repercussions.  needless to say, i found some hardened bolts right away and jumped right back on the saddle and continued.  much to my wife's chagrin i may add.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

RD

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 27, 2010, 12:45:03 AM
All that P90X stuff..i'm pretty sure you would have just damaged the motor if it fell on you, but thanks from the rest of us immortals.  I know i'll be using grade 8 for sure and plenty of them.  Message received.  :2thumbs:

yes, that engine didnt know what in the hell was going to happen to it!!! lol i would say it would have got hurt, but i had a pocket full of kryptonite on me, so my super strength would have failed me :D

68X426

So glad that you are still amongst us to tell the tale. :2thumbs:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

MoparManJim

Quote from: RD on June 27, 2010, 12:51:10 AM
Quote from: mikepmcs on June 27, 2010, 12:45:03 AM
All that P90X stuff..i'm pretty sure you would have just damaged the motor if it fell on you, but thanks from the rest of us immortals.  I know i'll be using grade 8 for sure and plenty of them.  Message received.  :2thumbs:

yes, that engine didnt know what in the hell was going to happen to it!!! lol i would say it would have got hurt, but i had a pocket full of kryptonite on me, so my super strength would have failed me :D

:D  hey, if you had a pocket full of kryptonite, you should have been down already.. remember at the sightess of kryptonite superman goes down. Hey wait a minute ,what color kryptonite did your pocket full of?! :scratchchin:  

Serous though dude, I'm glad to hear that you didn't hurt, maybe your nerves did alittle but that is part of learning though.  

Todd Wilson

SO now you got a junk 440..................

Todd

bull

My brother tells me it's overkill to use what I use but I have about two feet of 5/16" high test grade 70 chain, grade 8 bolts and grade 8 flat washers and I'm still nervous. I just don't like seeing the big $4k boat anchor hanging by a chain two feet over a concrete floor. I also use grade 8 stuff on the engine stand.

tan top

:scared:  crikey RD you was lucky  !!!!! glad your ok

thanks for the tip , going to check the tool box now & check the 2 designated  bolts i use !!  pretty sure they are from an ARP bolt fastener kit  :scratchchin:

much damage to the motor , ??
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

b5blue

I'm glad your fast!  :cheers: (and your lucky you didn't fill your pants with craptonite)  :lol:

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Mike DC

Yeah, glad you're okay.  That sounds spooky.    :o

71ChallengeHer

Scary stuff , indeed. Glad your ok  :2thumbs:

RD

thank you all for your comments.  i have thought about my reaction time to be honest, and have declared it was not me.  someone, not of this world, watched over me last night and pulled me from harm.  that is the only way i can explain it.  i could never move that fast by myself.  it was so instantaneous and surreal.  right after it all happened, i just sat there thinking how in the heck did I just get out of that?  How did I move so fast?

the answers are not because of me and any super powers (as I jested earlier), but rather of THE superpower that protects all of us, all the time.  All you have to do is believe.

(thanks goes to Eric for reminding me to give thanks so everyone who was blind can now see)

Quote from: Todd Wilson on June 27, 2010, 01:36:39 AM
SO now you got a junk 440..................

Todd

pass side exhaust pipe got dented, oil pan dented, that is about it.  still a good 440!  you cant kill mopar! they make the energizer bunny look like freshly sauteed bunny and a timex stop tickin'.

tricky lugnuts

Good advice about the grade 8 bolts. Safety should be precaution number one when working on our Chargers.

Glad to hear you and the engine are OK coming out of this, aside from some dents to it and some HOLY SHIT feelings for you.

Sounds like you both had a near death experience!

NHCharger

Quote from: b5blue on June 27, 2010, 08:42:35 AM
(and your lucky you didn't fill your pants with craptonite)  :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Wow. Glad your OK.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

TUFCAT

As I get older...I'm even more worried about this exact same turn of events. Dude, I'm glad you're okay. :angel: