News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Android Market

Started by TexasStroker, June 25, 2010, 10:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

Does anyone use this?  I have a question on the set-up.

I have read online that if you set it up with an e-mail address, that you can not change the address...Is this true?

I would like to be able to use the google calendar feature to update club events in down time and have it display online...which is easy enough while using the club e-mail address...However I do not really want my personal apps etc purchased under anything other than a personal e-mail address...

Does that make sense?  And yes I do know the market and calendar/mail etc are separate features, I am just concerned about the marketplace set-up and everything potentially falling under one e-mail address which would either keep me from the market place, or knock me out of having the other features sync up. 

I usually just experiment with this stuff and figure it out on my own in a few minutes, but with the market place allegedly being "permanent" I don't have the ability to do and re-do as I am accustomed.

If you have any experience or insight on this I'd like to know...

There is a certain app I'd really like to pick up...I think it could be a lot of fun to play with and might be of interest to folks on here...I will gladly share the awesomeness of the idea once I get set-up and dl the app  :icon_smile_big:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

0X01B8

Not a perfect solution but it should work.  Try 2 browsers. Use your regular browser (for example Chrome) to access your personal stuff.  Then use something else (Firefox for example) to do you club stuff with the club email account.  This should keep the accounts segregated, as the Google empire can't track you across browsers.  Unless I misunderstood what you're after...

Troy

I only use the market on my phone and I don't remember putting in an email address. Either way, in my experience, each application that you install doesn't seem to know anything about you until you complete the set up screens. I haven't installed anything that requires payment but I assume you can modify each one individually. I just checked the calendar app and I can set up different calendars within it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TexasStroker

Thanks for the info...

It is good to know you can modify the calendar outside of the confines of one conglomerate account.
I was afraid if I set everything up to my liking it would all be overtaken by the account I used for android marketplace.

The app I want is cheap, but does have a price...which to my understanding requires "Google Checkout" which is thru the e-mail you use for the market place, which unfortunately (to my understanding) can not be changed or have multiple accounts etc.

Like I said, with the "fixed" nature of the google checkout and android market account I didn't want to screw it up since trial-and-error experimentation is taken out of the equation.  The tech-forums I browsed all made it clear android marketplace's account was set-up based on the e-mail you enter at the first visit and can not be changed (I assume you can wipe the memory clean and accomplish that, but you also loose the app and other info etc).

Pretty much everyone around here is still on at&t and has iPhones (I just broke away!), or if they are on a different carrier they don't really care for much more than making calls etc.

If all goes well I will try and get this all set-up for these next two weekends and see if I can't give everyone something to play with  :2thumbs:
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

chargergirl

I got everyone on Verizon when they were dropping calls with their fancy phone and I had one that looked like a toy and was getting no problem with reception. Also you can update your towers where you go without dumping everything you have. One guy I work with is a techie and has the newest Droid. I'll ask him if he knows how to do this and get back to ya. I want one...but with what I am doing can't write off the internet stuff.
Trust your Woobie!

TexasStroker

Well I set this up awhile back now...finally just gave in and made a gmail address...it does kind of take precedence, but does not seem to override any of the imap or pop3 accounts...and I think I can access the calendars in isolation.

The real kicker is I got to the market and couldn't find the app?!  I searched for everything and no luck (app name, developer, their other apps etc).

I emailed them last Saturday before a cruise and came home to find a response (we are talking a Saturday night e-mail from the developer!).

Long story short they explained that I must in some freakish way have gotten a 'new' phone with 1.5...and that they would not come up till I upgraded to 1.6 or newer...which I have yet to get to do.  If all goes well I will try tonight to get the update done, although I have read a lot where people upgrade and have issues...

Either way I will keep everyone posted...If I get this sorted out it should be a lot of fun and might even generate a sticky thread  :icon_smile_big:
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!