News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Grill fastner questions

Started by roger440, June 24, 2010, 01:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger440

Ive stripped my grill, bought as many bolts as seem to be available, but now have a pile of derusted bolts nuts etc.

Problem is, im not sure of the finish they should have.

Can anyone identify what finish they should, ie, black (phospahte) or silver (zinc) etc?

There may be some missing, and i think a couple that shouldn't be there!

In the 1st pic, the second row appear to have paint on. I dont understand why though. As im not sure where they all go now.

And what are the 2 stainless brackets for?

1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner - SOLD
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1970 Triumph 2000 Estate, fitted Rover V8
1961 Standard Atlas
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester

twodko

Hey Roger,

I have no idea what the SS brackets are for. I bought my car from the original owner and recently finished my resto of its grille. This is what I did. I bought a grille spacer/bolt kit from R/T Specialties, these are the ones for the top latch panel and the bottom grille-to-frame. The 2 butterfly clips that connect the vac pod to the headlight door arm I painted an SEM titanium finish as well as the arm too. The small rectangular spring plates that help hold the grille trim on are phosphate and mine cleaned up well. R/T also sells this entire kit to attach the trim to the grille........no guess work and new! The bolts/washers that hold the sections of grille together were phosphate originally. I tumble cleaned them and lightly sprayed them satin black using SEM paint......love SEM! Finally the bolts and clips that are on the mounting flanges of the grille assembly, after cleaning, I shot with SEM semi-gloss black. The clips are available at Lowes/HomeyD etc and are phosphate if you want the OEM finish. I had my latch panel and its 4 mounting bolts powder coated semi-gloss black. i'll look at your pix again in case I missed something. Good luck and post up when you're done.

Tom

I also coated the top Bolt/spacer bolts with sation SEM clear.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

twodko

I'm long winded Roger so bear with me here. The 3 small rings next to the 2 small screws are the "press on" retainers that you push on over the headlight door pivet posts...you'll need 4. Those small screws are the ones you'll attach the "R/T & Charger" emblems to the head light door with.

Tom

roger440

Quote from: twodko on June 24, 2010, 05:28:35 PM
Hey Roger,

I have no idea what the SS brackets are for. I bought my car from the original owner and recently finished my resto of its grille. This is what I did. I bought a grille spacer/bolt kit from R/T Specialties, these are the ones for the top latch panel and the bottom grille-to-frame. The 2 butterfly clips that connect the vac pod to the headlight door arm I painted an SEM titanium finish as well as the arm too. The small rectangular spring plates that help hold the grille trim on are phosphate and mine cleaned up well. R/T also sells this entire kit to attach the trim to the grille........no guess work and new! The bolts/washers that hold the sections of grille together were phosphate originally. I tumble cleaned them and lightly sprayed them satin black using SEM paint......love SEM! Finally the bolts and clips that are on the mounting flanges of the grille assembly, after cleaning, I shot with SEM semi-gloss black. The clips are available at Lowes/HomeyD etc and are phosphate if you want the OEM finish. I had my latch panel and its 4 mounting bolts powder coated semi-gloss black. i'll look at your pix again in case I missed something. Good luck and post up when you're done.

Tom

I also coated the top Bolt/spacer bolts with sation SEM clear.

Thanks Tom  :2thumbs:

I have the Kit for securing the trim and for bolting i together
just wasn't sure about all of it. I'll get plating this weekend!
1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1961 Standard Atlas
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester

bill440rt

The thick headed phillips screws (2nd row up from the bottom) are for the headlight rings. They should be silver/zinc.
I've seen the grille bolts (uppers & sides) both silver/zinc or black, so I guess either should be correct?  :shruggy:  Can someone confirm that?

Also, those stainless brackets are for your headlight rings. Check your rings, looks like they broke off. There should be 3 tabs on each.
I have several headlights buckets with rings if you need some.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

twodko

Right on the money Bill! That's what those brackets are.........you da man. I've only seen the top latch panel bolts in zinc.

Tom

roger440

Yes, your right - they are off the headlamp rings. I'll have to tack them back on.

Thanks  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1961 Standard Atlas
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester