News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ron Firefighter3931 could be very busy....Earthquake in Ottawa Canada!!

Started by TUFCAT, June 23, 2010, 01:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUFCAT

Hi Everyone,

I just heard that a 5.0 earthquake just happened in Ottawa, Ontario at 1:45 today where Ron is a firefighter! :eek:

The early details coming out from Canada now is: "it shook some buildings".  :scared:  The quake was felt as far south as Windsor, Ont., along the Canada-U.S. border.  I'm sure Ron is busy helping civilians now, and he'll post up as soon as he can.

Read more at:  

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2010/06/23/tor-earthquake.html#ixzz0rhhyUzCW

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE BUDDY! :angel:   WE'RE PULLING FOR YA!  :2thumbs:

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

resq302

About 2 pm, we had an earthquake here in Morris County, NJ in Morristown.  Dont knwo what the scale of it was but just heard it on the police radio from a surrounding town.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Khyron

5.0?

ya bunch of Sally's :nana:

anymore from California care to laugh at this? ;)

seriouly, hope he's o.k... I hear Igloos aren't earthquake proof ;)

o.k.... i'll stop.... hope he and his are safe.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

TUFCAT

Quote from: Khyron on June 23, 2010, 02:15:19 PM
5.0?

ya bunch of Sally's :nana:

anymore from California care to laugh at this? ;)

seriouly, hope he's o.k... I hear Igloos aren't earthquake proof ;)

o.k.... i'll stop.... hope he and his are safe.

Actually the latest report is 5.5.

Dude, I know it sounds funny that Canada could even get an earthquake!!....but we're all praying for Ron's safety as a firefighter.

Most homes and buildings in Canada just aren't designed for this stuff. :shruggy:  Even during a small quake, utility damage could occur.

I'm sure the fire departments are working their asses off.

Khyron

I hear ya, thats why at the end I hope for the best for him..... but I gotta be me... wanna hear my latest BP jokes? ;)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

twodko

Don't even think about it. The 89 Loma Prieta was a bigtime wake-up call. Local and state EMS were inundated. The ONLY thing that saved SF's ChinaTown was the epicenter location. Nothing but unreinforced brick or old stick frame buildings in CT, when there's another shaker CT will be a huge heap of bodies and debris.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

MoparManJim

Man, what the heck is going on, and before anyone says something in my sofa thread about this. That happen Sunday, this stuff happen just happen. I hope everyone upstate is okay and I hope Ron is okay also. But you have to remember that earthquakes can happen anywhere though and not just in the western part of the states like in CA but anywhere on earth. Even if your not in a earthquake zone, the best would be to prepare yourself just in case one so that way you would be ready just in case  :icon_smile_wink: . It's always better to be prepaired then not prepaired. 

runningman

A bunch of people felt it around the Detroit area although I didn't feel anything at work today....

BBKNARF

I felt it to, I thought it was the construction guys down my street  :smash: until I heard the news I'm only 4-5 hour drive from Ottawa.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Brock Samson

:ahum:
How your structure is orientated to the shock or rolling waves can make a tremendous difference - at a right angle if not securely braced to adjoining walls the building can go over like a house of cards,.. structures fare much better when struck at an angle - the adjoining walls act like a ships prow sharing the forces. More scary still is when the earths' crust actually raises or falls or both. Apartments built on top of garages are very likely to "Pancake" crushing anycars parked therein.
  Often misunderstood is that the land itself doesn't just shake from side to side a bit but can actually lift and lower at different speeds - multiple times along with a side to side or even circular motion.
Todays' quake has been downgraded to a 5.0 BTW:
  write me when you actually get one at near 6 or above...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ7Ff96tHQM

Just 6T9 CHGR

Supposedly felt here in NY as well.....Im in the city & didnt feel anything

I hope Ron & others up there are OK
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

TUFCAT

Some people say they felt it in Detroit...

I just watched the first five minutes of our Detroit TV News coverage.  People said they felt tremors all over metro Detroit!!

They even had coverage of professors in Ann Arbor (University of Michigan) that said they felt tremors. In fact, many people all over the metro are saying they felt something.

Tufcat's official statement is: "I live in the metro Detroit area.....(close to Ann Arbor) and I didn't feel anything".

Although I think I was flushing the toilet at the time. :D

resq302

Damn, now thats kinda scary.  Imagine that fault line opening up big time.   Think of the huge mess that would cause.  Goodbye east coast!  And they thought California would fall off into the ocean!
Brian

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

PocketThunder

Quote from: Brock Samson on June 23, 2010, 04:02:37 PM
                           http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ7Ff96tHQM

That video is great!  Those little whipper snapper kids hanging on the backs of cars as they drive down the street...    :RantExplode:    :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Brock Samson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0WuSCaTYI0&feature=related

Here's a good vid for ya' of the '01 Seattle 6.8 tremor I was in Vancouver at the time and felt the thing while watching TV - which bounced just once... beware of brick buildings and plate glass windows in particular above your head...

And if indoors be prepared for folks racing madly for doorways and to get under desks and such,.. such was my experience in the 1989 Loma Preata quake here in SF. Manners and graciousness are instantly nonexistent when the ground shakes beneath you.  :-\

The Loma Prieta earthquake, also known as the Quake of '89 and the World Series Earthquake,[4] was a major earthquake that struck the San Francisco Bay Area of California on October 17, 1989, at 5:04 p.m. local time. Caused by a slip along the San Andreas Fault, the temblor lasted 10–15 seconds[1] and measured 6.9 on the moment magnitude scale[5] (surface-wave magnitude 7.1) or 6.9 on the open ended Richter Scale.[1] The quake killed 63[2] people throughout northern California, injured 3,757[3] and left some 3,000-12,000[1][6][7][8] people homeless.

Occurring just as folks were leaving work many here in SF were killed by falling bricks from older un-renforced buildings.
 I didn't get home from work till 5:00 AM the next day.
What I learned was you want a transistor radio, a flashlight, food and water for a min. of three days (though here I'd say five days) and shoes.
 There was also rioting which is never talked about in any recap of the event, but I heard several accounts of folks trapped in traffic jams being attacked in their cars and one of my best friends lost an eye after being struck by a bottle tossed by a rioter. There was one person killed by gunshot while directing traffic and numerous incidents never reported or logged by official reports of the press.
 to balance that I should add that ordinary folks scaled the pancaked Cypress freeway in Oakland to give aid to the few that could be reached quite a while prior to the arrival to emergency crews who were simply overwhelmed, After the quake in retrospect everyone commented on how lucky and amazing it was the Freeway was practically deserted especially at that hour when "normally" it would have been bumper to bumper traffic, the Baseball game between the SF Giants and Oakland As at Candlestick park held the entire regions attention and was inadvertently responsible for saving probably hundreds of lives.

maxwellwedge

I am near Toronto and felt it....they are back to calling it a 5.0. It was a few seconds of a slow rolling feeling. Had one about the same about 15-20 years ago. No injuries - just a few broken plates reported from what I have been hearing.

BBKNARF

javascript:changeVideo('','470_quake_evac_to_100623','00:00:00.00','00:00:00.00','317652','5')
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

chargergirl

Small quakes can cause big damage...just the folks freaking out from the quake will keep the public services cranking. Hope all are ok especially those we know run in while others come running out.
Trust your Woobie!

Dodge Don

I work in a bank tower in Toronto and my office is on a corner.....scared the bajeepers out of me. The building swayed a good 2 feet, felt like the floor was moving under me. Very creepy. We immediately evacuated our staff since we didn't know if it was related to the G20 Summit or not. We just don't get quakes here. I know it wasn't what California or Japan is used to in scale but for us it was a new one. I was on a call with Ottawa at the time and they said we just had a earthquake......I was like what the F^&%....we just had one....Ottawa is 6 hours from Toronto. Wild.

Maybe Quebec will finally separate from Canada....just not as a result of political issues. :scratchchin:

BIRD67

People all throughout this area of New Hampshire felt it too! Vermont Yankee, the local powerplant felt it and I felt it!  http://sentinelsource.com/articles/2010/06/23/news/local/free/doc4c224f5f45a96174320831.txt
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign. -Number 6, The Prisoner

R.I.P. Matthew Fraser 4/30/10

firefighter3931

Thanks for the concern guys but I was off duty and they never called us in....so it wasn't that serious. Just a lot of rattled nurves. No Major damage that i heard of in the city which is good.  :2thumbs:

As mentioned by the West Coast crew....a 5.0 quake isn't all that serious.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs