News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mini Starter = great investment

Started by 1BAD68, June 16, 2010, 08:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueSS454

I have a mini starter on mine as well.  It was already on the car when I bought it in 2001.  I just cleaned it up and reinstalled it :2thumbs: and I can take it off with a ratchet/extension without touching the headers.
I also have a mini starter on my 86 Cutlass from DB Electrical that has been trouble free.
Now on the other hand, I have blown up 4 mini starters from DB Electrical on the 454 in my 70 SS Chevelle.  Each time it blew apart the plastic planetary gear inside the starter housing.  No one has been able to tell me why.  I know for a fact clearance with the flexplate teeth was not an issue on it.  It was nice with the headers that are on that car though, BUT, it sucked big time having to change it 4 times in hotel parking lots and race track pits in June and July.  Needless to say a stock Delco starter went back in it.
Tom Rightler

BLUE68RT4ME

Quote from: 1BAD68 on June 18, 2010, 08:58:36 AM
Here's one being beaten to within an inch of its life but still cranking like a S.O.B to give you an idea of how they sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kO0FRc5YVg&feature=related

Wow that was painful to watch!   :-\
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

Martian R/T

I switched to one years ago after fighting to extract a header cooked stock unit, and it was the best investment. It always spins quick, the old one always had a hard time especially if it was cold. It was a late model stock Mopar unit. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
                            1970 Charger R/T 440 Auto 3:55 Martian Green???

mikesbbody

I don't mind the sound of it at all I will add it to my list of things to buy (never ending list  :lol:) the fact it's smaller and lighter, is a Plus too.

oldcarnut

Quote from: Finn on June 18, 2010, 05:45:12 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on June 16, 2010, 08:45:29 PM
Any 440 guys using them?  Do they crank over fast and have that old mopar starter wine?

http://www.youtube.com/finnforthewin#p/u/0/5ZetXofs4SY

This is the one from 440source on a 440. Love it. With hooker super comps headers in place its a lil tricky to put in but it does fit.
I don't know about the starter whine but I like that old Mopar sound coming that out the exhaust  Your Charger sounds great :2thumbs:

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

1969chargerrtse

Just read an article on these starters in a Road and Track magazine. I know I'm a late Bloomer. Bought a DB starter on eBay for 75.00 with shipping included. Nice. Shave 10 pounds of steel.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Brightyellow69rtse

i got it on a 440 with headers. i had the headers off at the time. i had to jack up the motor and slide the header and starter together. its not cake but after you do it its not the end of the world.

1969chargerrtse

No headers for me. I hope it just slaps in.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

7chargers

I know exactly how this goes with the old hevy starter, just replaced the bad one with one of the old heavy starters. I also have headers on my 383, and it wasnt too bad as my headers were just laying in the engine compartment un bolted. I did have to manuver it around in aukward positions to get it into place but it went, then bolted the headers back and and away i went. Laying on your back while the car was on jack stands was the worse part. If you had a lift the install would go much better to say the least.

Rolling_Thunder

Have one on my 6.1L Hemi with TTI headers    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

BigBlockSam

goes in and out of my roadrunner without moving the header .  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

404NOTFOUND

Not for me thanks. I love the famous Chrysler starter whine. My stock one fits with my headers no problem. I have an awesome battery and a top notch ignition so there is rarely a need for excessive cranking.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

1969chargerrtse

Well I put it in tonight.  Wow, that things cranks over fast!  Click, vroom.  I did have to take the black plastic cable thingy off and bolt the cables straight to the starter, and yes the wires are real close to the block.  Also I have the expensive repro batt cable ( 125.00? ) and the small connector wouldn't fit over the small stud.  I had to open it up a bit.  Other wise all went well, no regrets.  Almost one regret when I came back out to the garage and found my Scott's weed spreader fell off my wall!!!  Can't believe it didn't hit the car??  No marks.  :notworthy:

myk

I'd do it just for the weight savings-totally worthy 'mod...

I have a stock one and it sounds like starting a truck.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 440 on May 04, 2012, 09:34:11 PM
I have a stock one and it sounds like starting a truck.

I love that sound.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

68 CHARGER R/T

had my mini for 4 years now on my 440.  cranks like a little 4 banger .lol

Fred

With my TTI 2 1/4 headers, a mini starter is a must.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

TK73

440 w/ Hooker Comps.

Bought a mid 90's SB Dakota starter.  Works GREAT. No heat shield, no overheating issues.
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

BLUE68RT4ME

I bought the DBElectrical starter two weeks ago off of Ebay.  By the time I got to the body shop Friday it was already on the car.  I'm impressed by their quickness to deliver.  They don't mess around.  I'll be turning it over for the first time this weekend.  If it's as great as their delivery I'm going to be very pleased!   :2thumbs:
Mark Schultz
"BLUE68RT4ME"

1969chargerrtse

Did you guys know you can unscrew two screws and turn the body around to move the wires away from the block?  Guess I should of read the directions.

1974dodgecharger

chargd72

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on April 30, 2013, 11:36:58 AM
this will be my new upgrade....

You revived a year old thread to tell us that?  :slap:

j/k.  Have at it, man.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

odcics2

Reading the entire thread, I have to add that the headers chosen can be a source of various fit issues.
I have never had issues with Hooker Headers. Fit like a glove, install easy, clear everything, last a super long time...
For me a stock starter works. Something nostalgic about the sound.  :2thumbs: 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?