News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone put non-charger doors on?

Started by motorcitydak, June 14, 2010, 01:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorcitydak

I am not completely sure that I want the Charger doors on my car, I have been thinking that the more smooth non-charger doors mite look really slick on my '68. Has anyone ever done something like that? I know that all the special Charger body lines are on the door itself so a non-charger door would fit up to the rest of the car just fine. I would really like to see some pics of this if it has been done before. I have a good pair of Charger doors so that is not my problem, I just think it could be something cool and different. Also, I know that I will have everyone telling me about how I have the wrong doors on my car, but its my car and these are simple bolt on mods anyways...
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

AKcharger

Rolling_Thunder

Charger doors are a different shape than other B-bodies...   The rear 1/4 panels are totally different ----  so...    they would bolt up but won't work.      You could however use a b-bosy skin on a Charger door - messaging it to fit the Charger door shell...   thus getting rid of the scallops...     would be interesting on the top of the door though where the scallop lines and the fender lines cross...    also remember the body line down the side of the car....      all in all not worth the work in my book.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

doctor4766

I can see where you're coming from about being different, but the door scollops and other body lines are what define a Charger from other B bodies.
Even if they bolted straight up I'd give it a miss myself man.
Guess you could always bondo up a pair of 2nd rate doors if you really gotta do it.
Gotta love a '69

69DodgeCharger

That will not look good. What happens with the sharp body lines at the bottom of the quarter panels and fenders that will then just disappear at the doors. Not to mention that you will now have a horizontal line that runs the length of both doors near the bottom that doesn't match anything else on the car....Just saying.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

bakerhillpins

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Ghoste

If you're going to do that why not just sell it and buy a Coronet or a Road Runner?  The Plymouth is pretty well smoothed out compared to the Dodges of the time.

69charger2002

go buy a coronet and put a charger grill and tail panel on.. would probably look better than what you're talking about doing.. the doors are a huge part of what makes the charger different to begin with..
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Back N Black

Make it a 4 door!   :shruggy: That's different.......  :scratchchin:

ACUDANUT

Troy

Take a good look at how the body lines all converge on the door. There's no way you'll get anything else to fit right.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Cooter

The doors are what makes the Charger side look good....This is one of those times when different just might creap over into "Different, but why?" syndrome....I say no....You wanna see a Charger without the door scallops, look at a 3rd gen car....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

And even they tried to echo it for a short time.  The scallops are a part of the Charger style.

bull

This site is probably a bad place to ask about something like this. By default we all pretty much like the design of the Charger as-is or we wouldn't be here. I'm usually looking for ways to make other cars look more like a Charger.

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Skyview69

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Patronus

You could take the doors off add 4 wheel drive and jack it up like a jeep!!! Then you could roll around town with your feet sticking out!
:eek2:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

motorcitydak

Woah there dudes, it was just a thought. Like I said, I have a good pair of Charger doors. I just wanted to see if it had been done before and what it came out like. Id never get rid of the car, I love it for the looks of the grill, tail panel, quarters and sail panels. The doors were never something I really cared too much about and thought maybe a smoother side would look cool and stream-lined
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

CB

Quote from: motorcitydak on June 15, 2010, 12:55:34 AM
Woah there dudes, it was just a thought. Like I said, I have a good pair of Charger doors. I just wanted to see if it had been done before and what it came out like. Id never get rid of the car, I love it for the looks of the grill, tail panel, quarters and sail panels. The doors were never something I really cared too much about and thought maybe a smoother side would look cool and stream-lined

You can shave the door handles and locks.  :shruggy:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Mike DC

This idea would be a good time to photochop it first and see how it ends up looking.  I don't ever expect to prefer a smooth door but IMHO it might not look too bad.  

IMHO it would probably be easier to erase the scoops & lines from a Charger door than to substitute a different model's door shell.  

Khyron

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 15, 2010, 03:32:51 AM

IMHO it would probably be easier to erase the scoops & lines from a Charger door than to substitute a different model's door shell. 

maybe the easiest would be to remove the skin from the door and use a different outside ... probably less work then replacing the whole door.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Khyron

ohh, there is a 70 Pro Street Charger that runs around here with shaved door handles and locks... I think it makes the door look way too long.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

jaak

I think it would be easier to take another set of charger doors and do the bodywork to remove the scallops, that way you still have all the other bodylines and everything else matches up.

Jason