News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Big block dipstick tube location - 1969

Started by hemi68charger, June 08, 2010, 08:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
OK, all the gurus, please answer me this........ What is the proper position of the dip stick tube on a '69 440? I hearing that in '69 and earlier, the tube was routed to the outside of the exhaust manifold and starting in '70, it was routed between the valve cover and manifold. Also, wasn't the tube natural with the circular handle portion of the stick painted orange?

Cheers,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

maxwellwedge

Yes - '69 - Outside of manifold, not painted, Black handle.

70 - Unpainted tube between manifold and head, orange handle (not same orange as engine color).

hemi68charger

Well Hell....... I have to fix my Daytona now !!!!!!   :brickwall:

Well, better right than not.............  Thanks Jim !!!!!!

This makes the Daytona one step closer to being correct. Now, if I could eventually find a warranty block with the appropriate casting date, I'd be set. Since the original motor's long gone with a hole, it'll be sort of correct...
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

maxwellwedge

I think Frank B. is selling the correct 69 tube now.

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 08, 2010, 09:12:31 AM
I think Frank B. is selling the correct 69 tube now.

Correct tube? I believe the tube that's in the car is original. How does one tell if it's an origina period correct tube? Or, are the bends of the outside tube versus the inside tube that uch different? And, to think, the tube that was on the C500 I just got was on the outside of the  manifold and when I changed out the exhaust manifold gaskets in preparation of starting the motor, I moved it to the inside !!!!  double  :brickwall:

Live and Learn.................. Now I know........  :hah: ::) << me
Troy

maxwellwedge

It will have a sticker on it that says, Hello - I am the right tube for a 69".  :lol:

gtx6970

untouched 5600 mile 1969 Bee

hemi68charger

Quote from: gtx6970 on June 08, 2010, 10:06:43 AM
untouched 5600 mile 1969 Bee

Thanks again Bill and Jim...........

Jim, you have any of those correct '69' and earlier tubes?
Troy

Just 6T9 CHGR

I'm pretty sure the tubes & sticks are still avail at the dealer....got mine there a few years ago.

I unfortunately made the faux pa of painting my handle ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

gtx6970

tubes were natural - but I'm not sure I completely agree with the black dipstick handle thing though.
the A12 board concluded the A12 cars were black , so  maybe that's a lynch road plant thing  as all my B-body cars have been St louis build cars

maxwellwedge

Bill - All I have and have seen that weren't worn off, touched etc. have been black regardless of plant. I saw an unpainted handle on a low mile car once that upon further investigation revealed the handle was a parts replacement as the original was lost during checking the oil early in the cars life.

62 Max

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 08, 2010, 02:52:56 PM
I'm pretty sure the tubes & sticks are still avail at the dealer....got mine there a few years ago.

I unfortunately made the faux pa of painting my handle ;)

As of about two months ago,still a dealer item.

maxwellwedge

62 Max - This is true of the 70-up style tube. I have heard of some people bending and twisting it to the 69 style but it doesn't look right after.

dstryr

Digging up an old topic, my local dealer says his Star Parts locator only goes back to 1984.  Who do you guys talk to that tell you 70 and up are available? 
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

Chatt69chgr

He can't look up the part by application but should be able to look it up by original mopar part number.  Now, if someone will post that then you will be in business.