News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2 strange problems with carb. Any thoughts?

Started by dspaulding70, June 07, 2010, 10:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dspaulding70

I have a 750 Performer on my 440 which I have been experiencing two recurring problems and not sure what to think.  First one is that the car runs great but when I make a sudden stop and turn, like pulling into a driveway, the car stalls.  This only happens when I am slowing the car down and turning.  When I am turing and accelerating, I do not have a problem.

The second problem comes after driving the car for any period of time and then letting it sit for more than 45-60 minutes and trying to restart.  It is flooded and the only way to start it is to hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking and then getting overwhelming gas fumes. 

Any ideas?

Musicman

#1) If your stalling under hard braking conditions then I would say that your float levels are set just a tad high in your Performer series carburetor.

#2) Hard starting when hot.... You are boiling the fuel in the carburetor and flooding out the engine. You can block the heat crossover where the intake meets the heads and/or put a phenolic spacer under the carburetor to help isolate the carburetor (fuel bowl) from the heat. This should eliminate this issue.