News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wild pig problems in the southeast

Started by Highbanked Hauler, June 07, 2010, 11:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

WOW I happened to see a documentary  on wild pigs and the problems they cause and its getting worse. The worst of it is in the southeast US but it is spreading outward toward the rest of the country. The (pig bomb) as they called it went off towards 10 years ago and the population has doubled in that time and they are an environmental disaster. They have somehow bred with European wild pigs and they have longer legs, larger bodies and are vicious with about 4" tusks. I never knew there was such a problem till I saw this. Has anybody had to deal with them?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

bull

Sounds like a job for dad's 30-06 to me. :shruggy: Bacon, pork chops and ham hocks for all.

John_Kunkel

I saw that show and it's not isolated to one part of the country.

Here in NorCal farmers used to invite hunters onto their land to shoot the pigs and now it's turned into a cottage industry with both land owners and hunting guides making a buck off of the pig kills.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BigBlackDodge

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 07, 2010, 04:26:39 PM

I saw that show and it's not isolated to one part of the country.

Here in NorCal farmers used to invite hunters onto their land to shoot the pigs and now it's turned into a cottage industry with both land owners and hunting guides making a buck off of the pig kills.
Was this the Hogzilla show?  Yep.

I heard them say it had spread across  the country but I wasn't sure how far.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: bull on June 07, 2010, 04:10:51 PM
Sounds like a job for dad's 30-06 to me. :shruggy: Bacon, pork chops and ham hocks for all.
I figured a snipers rifle and infrared gear,its easier to get them at night.  I would think they would be tough eating though. :shruggy:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

chargergirl

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on June 07, 2010, 09:18:55 PM
Quote from: bull on June 07, 2010, 04:10:51 PM
I figured a snipers rifle and infrared gear,its easier to get them at night.  I would think they would be tough eating though. :shruggy:
Nope quite good...but the boars especially have to be "bled" right then and there or the meat gets...destroyed.
Trust your Woobie!

hemi-hampton

There was a Documentary I seen on wild Pigs or Boars running wild in Florida & spreading north. The Hogzilla was a freak of Nature from Georgia. LEON.

Highbanked Hauler

Yea, that was the one and there has been a few of them that large.  A while back there was a 10-12 year old kid that shot a hogzilla that they figured was 1000-1200 lb. and that was the first I heard of the problem.

chargergirl, I have never dressed off an animal so  the whole thing would be a learning experience. One thing I know is never underestimate  what you are dealing with :Twocents:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

tricky lugnuts

"One thing I know is never underestimate  what you are dealing with"

Good advice! Now let's go see who can get one first, on the ground with a traditional recurve, a la Fred Bear. You guys first!  :cheers:

chargergirl

30-06 or a no go for me! Have friends in Hudson, FL that go hog hunting. Two big dogs and big guns...I used to just wait. Back home I would show up when they pulled the pig from the ground, Imu, and shred hundreds of pounds with friends. Some ono! (Very delicious)!
Trust your Woobie!

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: chargergirl on June 08, 2010, 06:17:03 PM
30-06 or a no go for me! Have friends in Hudson, FL that go hog hunting. Two big dogs and big guns...I used to just wait. Back home I would show up when they pulled the pig from the ground, Imu, and shred hundreds of pounds with friends. Some ono! (Very delicious)!
How did they get the pig out of the woods? Even one 3-400 lb. would be hard to drag out without some equipment.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

elacruze

I used to ride my motorcycle to work between Stuart and Okeechobee, Florida on a mostly deserted two-lane. We have plenty of pigs roaming around out there, and I had to dodge two or three. Scary stuff. Strangely, I never saw a flat one so I may have been moving faster than the truck traffic they were used to... :D

I met some Hawaiians on the side of the road in Maui who had a couple 3-400 pound pigs in their pickup truck. I asked what they hunted with. They looked at me like I had two heads, laughed, and said 'well, the knife haole!'. We had a pretty good laugh over that...but still they just wait for one to come around, fall on it with a big knife and apparently win more often than the pig.

I don't think even those guys want something 800 pounds, though.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

hemi-hampton

Here's a Pic of Hogzilla2.  LEON.

1969chargerrtse

Great thread. I saw that show also.  Very very scary. Freaked me out. I'm hoping they come up with a grain that kills the mail pig sperm. The idea of catching a group in a feed pen was great.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

ih8gmandford

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 08, 2010, 11:14:20 PM

I think the pic of Hogzilla 2 is fake. Probably a large pig, but the perspective is wrong (kid's way behind the pig, not leaning on it). I'll show the wife the pic, though. Gives me a reason to have the 45/70 guide gun... the pork shreds itself! -Jason
Ford blue? Still blows!

vancamp

we have them pretty bad here in south arkansas nothing the size of hogzilla but they tear up quite a bit of property around here

Mike DC

This whole concept sounds like a bad movie on the Sci-Fi channel. 

mikesbbody

A lot of pig hunting over here in New Zealand This Dog belongs to
A friend of mine the injuries were from a "small" Hog they are not
To be taken lightly! the Dog was ok.

chargergirl

Got called on a newby pig dog to stitch up from a pig "slinging" on him. I got that call at 1am and was finished at 2am. My boys drove me home....I was a mess...having to stitch Moses was not something I EVER wanted to do. Moses still loves me to this day and he is a 130 lb American Pit...He's learned since then how to hold and keep himself safe.
Trust your Woobie!

mikesbbody

That's true Chargergirl, once the Dog learns to be a "Hard Holder" the risk is reduced for everyone. I have another pic of this Dog all stiched up sitting on the back seat just one of those things that happens sometimes.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 08, 2010, 11:14:20 PM
I wonder about that picture also. If its real its as big as the top  2/3 of an elephant  not including its head. To support that size it would need a few hundred pounds of food and water per day.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

tricky lugnuts

tricky lugnuts

Also this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7264865/

Not quite as big as it was made out to be, but still probably nothing to F&$^% with!  :o

chargergirl

So there ya go...one more reason why I camp at the Hyatt!
Trust your Woobie!