News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

roller lifters general ????

Started by Highbanked Hauler, June 03, 2010, 08:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

When upgrading a cam is it worth getting roller lifters or is it not worth it unless you do the whole valve train or not worth it at all :shruggy: No particular motor.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

elacruze

I've asked this question myself a couple different ways, and there's no clear consensus. The best I've been able to suss out is that roller cams will always make more power at a given lift because of the faster opening and closing speeds and additional significant duration.
The problem seems to come when considering durability. Obviously nearly or all new engines come  from the factory with roller cams. However, the level of performance is relatively low. That is to say that on new engines with efficient ports, intakes, exhausts etc. a much smaller cam makes as much power as our old stuff. Once you get enough camshaft in an older engine to take advantage of the rollers, the durability goes south in relation to power so at the extremes you'd say that a flat-tappet cam is most economical, a roller cam makes way more power. In the middle, a flat tappet cam will make more power over the lifetime of the valvetrain. :)

Discussion?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Highbanked Hauler

Not being an engine person I try to work using others experience as mine is nonexistent.  If Durability is going to be a question also the extra power isn't worth the extra maintenance  for me as I won't be racing.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser