News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

For Veterans

Started by Bob, May 27, 2010, 06:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

hemi68charger

Thanks Bob...........   :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

b5blue

AND! A HUGE THANK YOU TO ALL OUR VETERANS!!!! :patriot:

Highbanked Hauler

I'll give it a shot, the form I have to print and send is like 16 pages,sucks
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

b5blue

I work for the V.H.A. and am a veteran, if I can help somehow let me know!  :2thumbs:

mikepmcs

I work for the VBA(the benefits side) and will echo b5blue.  Between us 2 we can get you the information you need.
Any question you have, I will have/find you the answer no problem.
Voc Rehab and Employment questions???.... We have the best counselor in the country right here at Togus, Maine.  She is unbelievable!

Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Bob

Thanks for stepping up guys. It can be a nightmare getting 214's, medical records and awards.
And a thank you to all the veterans and active soldiers.
We don't want to forget the spouses and children also. Mine suffered allong with me for over 20 years.

Bob
CW3, Retired

Highbanked Hauler

We don't want to forget the spouses and children also. Mine suffered allong with me for over 20 years.

Ain't it the case, I thought what I was seeing in my head was normal and after 35 years I found out that it wasn't. Also the memory was shot. Never occurred to me that it could be army related. O WELL.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

twodko

Thank you b5blue and mikepmcs!

You guys are 4.0 in my book. I was lucky to get my 214 and copies the day I dede'd out. Thank gawd we have each other.

Highbanked Hauler,

Like the rest of us, you already know this. When you step outside the wire you're gonna see the shit. That shit IS not normal and it sticks in your head like an ice pick. Please remember you've got people.

Tom

Bob were you aviation and if so, a rotohead or fixed wing?
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Bob

Quote from: twodko on June 07, 2010, 11:17:49 AM
Thank you b5blue and mikepmcs!

You guys are 4.0 in my book. I was lucky to get my 214 and copies the day I dede'd out. Thank gawd we have each other.

Highbanked Hauler,

Like the rest of us, you already know this. When you step outside the wire you're gonna see the shit. That shit IS not normal and it sticks in your head like an ice pick. Please remember you've got people.

Tom

Bob were you aviation and if so, a rotohead or fixed wing?

Hi Tom,
I was a Armor Warrant. M48A5, M60 and M1. Not quite as exicing as an aviator Warrant but we made more noise. :smilielol:
Bob

ITSA426

I was a Armor Warrant. M48A5, M60 and M1. Not quite as exicing as an aviator Warrant but we made more noise. smilielol

Spend much time in a Chinook?

Long as were here, I'm a gray area NG retiree after active duty.  Anybody know how soon before hitting 60 should I apply for retirement pay?  I was told the form and application were automatic but that doesn't seem the case.  Know anything about TriCare?  When I left the guard it was like leaving RVN.  You just don't have to show up anymore.  No out processing, not even a kiss goodbye.

twodko

ITSA426 ,

You know how it is, the REMF's are lazy so you've got to be pro-active and make your own progress with the machine. I would hope it'll be easier for you to get squared away with the NG paperwork than the charlie foxtrot crap the other branches put retirees through.

I spent my 4 active safety wiring anything and everything on scooters (A4-E's), F-4's and Hueys. Man, I just dated myself.

CLEAR!

Tom

mikepmcs

Quote from: ITSA426 on June 11, 2010, 08:56:25 AM
Long as were here, I'm a gray area NG retiree after active duty.  Anybody know how soon before hitting 60 should I apply for retirement pay?  I was told the form and application were automatic but that doesn't seem the case.  Know anything about TriCare?  

I got this.

I'll talk to some peeps at Camp Keyes(local NG units) to find out the forms /criteria required.
What are your specific questions about tricare??  
In the interim, this link below will get you in the right direction. Start a profile specific to your situation.
http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

ITSA426

RE TriCare - eligibility, options, spouse options, sign up requirements etc.  I don't even know where to start.  I've heard more about it from my financial planner than from the military.  Thanks for looking.

I recently suggested to the widow of a guard buddy that she look into it and it turns out she is eligible as a retiree's survivor.  Her husband was eligible and never knew there was any coverage available.  He was being treated by the VA because he had no other insurance and was unemployed.  They treated him as an indigent with no other coverage choices.  He died just short of his 62nd birthday.  She had no health care until I suggested TriCare but her choices are limited because of her location.

I am told, so far, that because I live in a larger metro area there are several options for myself and my spouse.   I am within 60 days of turning 60.  Wow - talk about dating yourself.  That looks like someone else's statement.

Twodko I cut my aviation teeth as a CE in UH-1-D, H, C and M models.  I can still make a tight, correct, safety without the pliers.  Sometimes need a bandaid now though to stop the bleeding.  Small price to pay.

bobs66440

It's pathetic how they make you guys jump through hoops after all you have done. Please know that we appreciate your service!!!!!   :2thumbs:

mikepmcs

I can put a couple things up right now though. Some you might already know.
You must apply for retired pay by submitting an application to the branch of service you were assigned to at time of your discharge or transfer to the Retired Reserve. For those serving in the Army National Guard or Army Reserve the address is Commander, AR-PERSCOM, ATTN; ARPC-ALQ, 9700 Page Ave, St Louis, MO 63132-5200.

Did you receive this? IRT 20 years of qualifying service.
A letter with the subject "Notification of Eligibility For Retired Pay at Age 60," commonly referred to as the 20-year letter. You should receive this letter within one year of completing 20 qualifying years of service for retired pay purposes.
The biggest thing is...do you have 20 years of qualifying service.
As a Reserve/National Guard member, you must have 20 "qualifying" years of service to be eligible for retired pay at age 60. A "qualifying year" is one in which you earn a minimum of 50 retirement points.  You should have been receiving updates from the Guard as to your "qualifying year" status.  If not contact your unit and they can run a wrap sheet for you.

Here's a pretty good link to catch up a little.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/reserveretirmentpay/a/reserveretire.htm

mikepmcs

You could take a gander at this one as well.  Eligibility and the "what retirement do you fall under category"
http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/retired-pay/military-reserve-component-retirement-overview

Also, if you want contact info, it's on the bottom of this link.
http://www.armytimes.com/benefits/getting_out/hbgr08_retirementbasicplans_091508/

ITSA426

Thanks Mike.  I've been looking at some of the info on links you posted.  This could turn out to be all right.  Health benefits are the only thing keeping my wife working so maybe we can get her an early retirement.  I still haven't determined when to apply for retired pay but it looks like yesterday might be soon enough.

I absolutely got the 20-year letter.  That was the one thing stressed, even then, is not to leave without it.  I don't remember anything about the "qualifying year status updates" but a lot has happened since I left.   I think I still get commissary privilege cards and stuff like that.  I gotta start paying attention to the official looking mail.

mikepmcs

haha.  cool.
if you have the qualifying letter than you don't need to pay attention to the yearly status update thing.  the letter is your update saying you are good to go.

The last link has the contact to get with to get info on how to apply.
If it doesn't work for you then I will get concrete instructions on monday from the Guard themselves.

twodko

As a former squid I know didly about the NG other than its samesame. However, I'm sure its run as smooth and organised as the U.S.Wavy............just another inch of the green, blue or grey dildo!

A huge THANK YOU to mikepmcs!!!! bobs66440, every swinging d**k (or otherwise) of us truely appreciates what you just said. My time has passed as has my anger (mostly), what we have now is an opportunity and obligation to do right by all those who have gone down range after us.

Damn, I preach way too much. Pardon me.

ITSA426, copy all and it IS a small price to pay indeed. H models for me but mostly scooters and 4's. Mine were tight & right  only with pliers..........you gotta be in longer like yourself to be able to scare that stainless into compliance! You got skills man.

Tom

ITSA426

After I got back from RVN I went to school and got my A&P then an IA and for about seven years was a DME.  While doing that I finished off my GI bill educational benefits on a Commercial with instrument and multi ratings.  I enjoyed aviation as a career field partially because it isn't terribly forgiving if you screw up.  Keeps you on edge.

Actually one of the very first things I did when I got home was buy a red '66 383 four speed Charger (used), like the day after I got home.  The car first came out when I was in high school and I wanted one even more than the second gen cars on the road when I came home.  I still remember the first one I saw, and that full width tail light.

I finished out my tour with the guard when we understood NG to mean "not going" but it sure isn't like that now.  I admire the guys who can tough out multiple deployments and the mind games that go with that.  I just worry about the future costs involved in that even if everyone got home in one piece physically.  The things that come up later and the coping skills future vets will need.  I have a 40 year old nephew in the IA NG with a wife and three kids.  He's on his third deployment and headed to Afghanistan.  It seems like the job doesn't get easier despite the technology.

b5blue

Tell him we DO CARE!  :yesnod: I work in a VERY large V.A. hospital and it makes my day to help any Vet. find his way to where he/she needs to go!

twodko

When you get back to the "world" its hard to remember how to be normal or even what normal is. This is my deepest fear for all those who are down range right now.

After active I headed over to SFO's United Airlines shop ready to start wrenching. What a rude awakening! The navy teaches you what you need to know to work on NAVY aircraft.........period.
I think the Air Force actually trains its people to take the A & P.......AF types speak up please if I'm wrong. Anyway without an A & P, disappointed and having my balloon burst I went to college under the old GI bill. Majored in broadcast engineering. One of the best decisions I've ever made. When lots of folks are out of work they're home watching..........TV! Turned out to be a very secure career. hahaha

Tom

I hear you about aviation being unforgiving. Its like the passenger asking if theres enough fuel and the pilot says, "Yeah, we got enough to get us to the crash site."

Highbanked Hauler

When you get back to the "world" its hard to remember how to be normal or even what normal is. This is my deepest fear for all those who are down range right now.

Damn strait,  the only thing thats different is public opinion/support is a lot better now. Their finally beginning  to realize that shock waves do cause brain damage. :flame:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

ITSA426

I just gotta say thanks to all the guys/gals that posted on this thread.  It got me off my butt and got my paperwork started for retirement pay.  I did that through my old unit, with live, helpful people.  They made time for me when I walked in.  No lines.  I found out there is a TriCare office within a few miles so hopefully I should get all those questions answered by the end of the week. 

I left with a retiree benefit information package but I couldn't get a gray area retirees ID card because you need two forms of government issued ID; and I never carry anything with my SSN anymore.  At least I know how easy it is for later this week.  That is more than I got when I retired from the unit almost twenty years ago.

Hardest part for me was that everyone I met thanked me for my service.  Even a one star general, I met coming from an elevator, greeted me, thanked me, gave directions, and answers for my questions.  If you're an RVN vet you'll appreciate how weird that is.  I've been out longer than most of the people I met today have been in.  Not a lot of thanks in between '71 and this morning.

So again, thanks to all. 

and Tom... I always learned that the other engine will take us directly to the crash site.