News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

champion aluminum radiators

Started by moparstuart, May 24, 2010, 11:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

any opnions ?   I read a couple of threads on this , no definate answers ?   My water pump came a part over the weekend and  killed my stock looking radiator .  My 440 runs hot at high speed sometimes so i figured now is the time to go  aluminum .     Any help ? Fit ? cooling will my factory shroud fit ok ?    
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Hemidog

I bought my Champion 3 row rad from these guys:
http://myworld.ebay.com/classic_radiators?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1181

Great seller, great fit, and great cooling! :thumbs:

moparstuart

charge1

Just put a griffin downflow in great fit bolt in no problems. Only had to switch to a smaller fan clutch

moparstuart

I have now become a distibutor for these champion radiators

26in  2 core  all aluminun  145.00  plus shipping
   26 in 3 core  is 200  plus shipping   they have 22in also and small blocks with the reversed water outlets .

IF you need one call me or email me I can get them      stuartspeedway@hotmail.com  or speedway auto @816-230-4587

moparstuart

greenpigs

Somewhat related I got a fan shroud years ago at Carlise that fits 70 - 72 B bodies, sucks now as it isn't centered very well. But it should work well with the Champion, if the wife lets me get one. :icon_smile_big:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

charger2fast4u

does the 3 row champion radiator need a  smaller fan clutch installed to fit in 68-70 b body's and 70-74 e body's with 440's? looking into new aluminum radiators for my cars. also if i go 3 row on any brand radiator will i need to replace the fan clutch with a smaller one to fit?

Purple68

Although I can't say for sure on your cars, on my 68 I had to use the Jag clutch to get enough clearance. My rad is an Engineered Cooling Products sold on Ebay and appears to be Very similar to the Champion.

1970Moparmann

I have a Champion and it's been working out well so far.  I don't have many miles on my car with it yet, but so far my car is running cool at 170 most of the time while driving.   :2thumbs:  Word of caution though.... I tried the 3 core with the 2 12" electric fans, no dice......... I needed to put a mechanical fan on my car and now it's cooling great! :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

charger2fast4u

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on June 04, 2010, 12:02:24 AM
I have a Champion and it's been working out well so far.  I don't have many miles on my car with it yet, but so far my car is running cool at 170 most of the time while driving.   :2thumbs:  Word of caution though.... I tried the 3 core with the 2 12" electric fans, no dice......... I needed to put a mechanical fan on my car and now it's cooling great! :2thumbs:

what was the issue you had with running 2 12'' electric fans with the 3 row?

werner

I run there 4 core 26 " withbn a 528 hemi no shroud works great, Runs 190 all day long
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: charger2fast4u on June 04, 2010, 03:30:40 AM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on June 04, 2010, 12:02:24 AM

what was the issue you had with running 2 12'' electric fans with the 3 row?

Temp would spike quickly.  I just did the Hot Rod Power Tour and it cooled very well and stayed at 170 while driving.  At one point, we had to sit in traffic for a while at 92 degrees, and it went up to 205.  Since I have the fans, I'm going to put them back on, but as pushers. 

I could have tried putting a shroud on the electric fans, but since the company said it was good for a 600 hp engine, I kept it as/is.  I needed to get this issue over with before Saturday, so that is why I put the mechanical fan and shroud on it.

I did call Champion last week and they suggested the shroud, but like I said, I needed to get the car on the road.  I'm going to keep the mechanical on it, and just put the electric as pushers and be done with it. :2thumbs:

tufamc

Hi,

I just got my 26" Champion radiator, and a new mopar fan shroud from summit, the shroud will fit up perfect to the old radiator, but the champion one, I appears that the metal tabs on the end have been bent the wrong way! Anyone else run into this? The end rails where the shroud attaches to have been bent inward, instead of out, so it makes the  holes on the shroud about 1" to long.......I did just look @ there website, and the photo shows just what I'm talking about. I would assume that I have the correct shroud b/c it fits right up to the oem radiator, any suggestions?????

thanks
69' Charger 383 4bbl, TF727.....for now......

greenpigs

An inch to long as in a gap between the shroud and radiator?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

1970Moparmann

Quote from: tufamc on June 11, 2010, 11:48:54 AM
Hi,

I just got my 26" Champion radiator, and a new mopar fan shroud from summit, the shroud will fit up perfect to the old radiator, but the champion one, I appears that the metal tabs on the end have been bent the wrong way! Anyone else run into this? The end rails where the shroud attaches to have been bent inward, instead of out, so it makes the  holes on the shroud about 1" to long.......I did just look @ there website, and the photo shows just what I'm talking about. I would assume that I have the correct shroud b/c it fits right up to the oem radiator, any suggestions?????

thanks

I had to make some small brackets.  I'll take a picture and post it.  :2thumbs:

Belgium R/T -68

Mine fits and works great, at least on idle standing still. :lol:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

tufamc

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on June 14, 2010, 07:37:43 AM
Quote from: tufamc on June 11, 2010, 11:48:54 AM
Hi,

thanks

I had to make some small brackets.  I'll take a picture and post it.  :2thumbs:

thanks,

tufamc

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on June 14, 2010, 03:14:27 PM
Mine fits and works great, at least on idle standing still. :lol:

Per

Did your fan shroud bolt right up to it, or did you also make little brackets to attach the fan shroud to?

thanks

1970Moparmann

Pictures-

The notch is for the battery tray.

Hemidog

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on June 14, 2010, 08:54:12 PM
Pictures-

I see you screwed the brackets to the side of the radiator, but I don't see any holes on my rad?

The side is very close to the core, did you drill the holes yourself? You have to be very careful?  :scratchchin:

tufamc

Quote from: Hemidog on June 15, 2010, 04:44:13 AM
Pictures-

I see you screwed the brackets to the side of the radiator, but I don't see any holes on my rad?

The side is very close to the core, did you drill the holes yourself? You have to be very careful?  :scratchchin:

Ya what he said   :scratchchin:

on a side note, what pully's are you running?

thanks

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Hemidog on June 15, 2010, 04:44:13 AM
Pictures-

No "issues"  when I mounted the brackets,  The mounting bolts are short.  I was very careful when drilling and tapping the radiator.  Yes it is close to the core.  If I had more time I would of had them welded on. :2thumbs:

Hemidog

Thanks for the tips!  :2thumbs:
It was easy, but I had to remove the rad  :eek2:

Finn

The first champion 3 core I had fit great, unfortunately I accidentally poked a hole in it a couple months ago so I had to replace it.

At this point, Im on radiator number 4 from them because they've all been warped or built differently (causing the fan to hit). I changed to a super short fan clutch and yesterday tried to pop in the latest radiator they sent me (which was "custom built" to my given specs)...its warped and the bolts don't come close to lining up. I'm quite bummed. The first one I had was a great product. I read Stu's thread so I guess Ill try standing on both corners to twist it back. At this point I'm ready to throw the hat in the ring and go with another brand.

Just a word of caution to anyone just now stumbling upon this thread, they were great products...now, not so much.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L