News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What happened here?

Started by dkn1997, May 17, 2010, 07:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

I had this annoying battery draining issue. it's been going on for almost a year.  I don't drive the charger that much, so disconnecting the battery cable isn't the end of the world.  I did the test light on the neg cable with the probe end on the battery (cable disconnected of course)

I pulled out every damn fuse and it still glowed dimly.  I had played with it several times and for shits and giggles I started turning knobs and buttons.  I get to the radio (which hasn't worked since I got the car) and it was on.  turned it off and sure enough, problem solved. This has me asking a few questions:

1.  since it never worked, I don't know if the radios in our cars work "hot" or with the key on? 
2.  isn't the radio fuse protected?  why wouldn't my test light go out with all the fuses pulled?
3.  are there any "hot" wires running to our radios like on new ones (clock memory etc..)
4   does this radio possibly have a short in it?  still don't understand how this could happen unless voltage runs to the radio at all times...even unfused?

I suppose it's no big deal since the problem is now solved, and I'll be getting  hidden radio of some sort in the future. 
RECHRGED

MRCHARGER

I looked over my wiring diagram and the radio is on an accessory circuit. The radio only gets power when the key is on. If your ignition switch was bad the radio could get power but so would all the gauges and other accessory circuits (2). For the battery to drain from the radio or work with all the fuses pulled I'd say it's hooked up wrong. It would have to be tied into a circuit that is from the wrong side of the fuse box. The radio, the heater, and the rear defogger are all on the "accessory feed" side. The radio is most likely hooked into the "battery feed" red wire or "instrument feed" tan wire. Good luck.

I hacked up my wiring once chasing a blown fuse. I kept blowing the dome light fuse when the door was opened. Turned out to be the wrong kind of bulb in the console light socket. Man did I wrack my brains on that one. Who thinks to check the bulb when the fuse pops? Well, I do now.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: MRCHARGER on May 17, 2010, 09:25:33 PM
I hacked up my wiring once chasing a blown fuse. I kept blowing the dome light fuse when the door was opened. Turned out to be the wrong kind of bulb in the console light socket. Man did I wrack my brains on that one. Who thinks to check the bulb when the fuse pops? Well, I do now.

:lol:  Lesson in not overlooking the obvious.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

OneofNoneRT

Here is a possibility..  :scratchchin:
1968 R/T 440/4 Spd (Prototype Factory Sunroof)
2008 R/T 5.7l HEMI (Road & Track)

Tilar

Take your wires off of your alternator and check between the battery and the cable.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

dkn1997

Quote from: Tilar on May 18, 2010, 06:39:33 PM
Take your wires off of your alternator and check between the battery and the cable.

even though the problem is gone now? 
RECHRGED

Tilar

:lol: I guess I missed that part saying you got it fixed.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.