News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help me figure my charger out!

Started by tufamc, May 17, 2010, 11:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tufamc

Picked up my dream car a couple weeks ago, though I'm fighting a loosing battle with getting it running right, I'm in heaven! I've been searching the forum/internet on what my car is made up of. The person I bought it from "thought" the inner fenders have been replaced, and was not sure if the fender tag matched the car, and it is very rusty, couldn't get all the info off it. So here are all my stats that I could find:

at a glance = 1969 Charger 383 2bbl WITH a/c Auto trans

Vin =XP29G9B286663

Engine color = orange

Intake manifold is BLUE

Block casting = 2468130-9

Block date = 12-9-68

Oil pan stamping = 402

Oil pan rail stamping = 9B286663

Distributor area =    E  383 
                          2   4   2
                              R

Transmission is painted blue = PK2801543L   2516   9635

Radiator = (from passenger side) 2949 059,   18398  ( In/outlet both on drivers side)

now the Fender tag =

top line may be gone

2nd : 31  H21  M  2 R11

3rd :  1  47  R(B)51  C16  G55

4th:   F  C(6)RX  X9  206  1

5th:  61  2  P29  69B  2

Thank you all for the Help

JR
69' Charger 383 4bbl, TF727.....for now......

Ghoste

Check that 5th line more closely and see if the letters don't actually match what you have on your dash VIN.

tufamc

ya, I hear ya about checking that 5th line, I went over with a fine tooth comb, but that's all i can get off it, Thanks

ChgrSteve67

I put my fender tag in a scanner and scanned the back of it then used a photo editor to reverse the image so I could read my fender tag clearly.

The top of it was way to rusty to read corectly.

Brock Lee

Yeah, and sometimes even if the back is obscured you can enhance the scan and read it.

bakerhillpins

Scanner? Photo editing tool? Guys what's up?  :shruggy:  :slap:

Go old school with a piece of plain old paper, a crayon and make a rubbing!  :cheers:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

tufamc

well..... I tried both ways to get more info off the fender tag, but got nothing :icon_smile_angry:  The fender tag looks sorta like a old coffee can, that's been sprayed with bird shot!! Maybe if I had a CSI Miami lab I could project a holographic image if it, but I don't.

So those numbers I posted is all the usefull info I can get off the car.....are there any usefull websites or books I can get to look up what I have. For sure its a 383, but searching on this website, I find different answers as to what it is, weather originally a 2bbl or a 4bbl. Have read all 2bbl were blue, then have read all 383 a/c auto were 4bbl, then that the 402 oil pan stamping is a baffled pan used on 4bbls, and it goes on and on.......

Thanks, JR

ChgrSteve67

Have you tried the VIN decoder?

http://www.stockmopar.com/mopar-vin-decoder.php

Also have you looked in your car for a broadcast sheet?

69charger2002

your fender tag probably is original. it's definitely a 383 69 charger fender tag. from what you wrote, it appears the 5th line is E61(383) D32(727 auto), XP29G9B2 the last you have cut off is probably the rest of your VIN
as for the top 2 lines.. R11 is your Am radio, before the 31 is most likely a M, all cars had M21 M31, H21 is most likely H51(does your car have A/C vents in it?? )
3rd line with the 1 is probably A01, then 47 leads me to believe A47(SE package), then B51 is power brakes, C16 C55 is buckets and console.
4th line F?? could be anything.. 4, 6, 8 but F and a number is green. 206 is simply when the car was built.. Feb 6th, 1969.

hope this helps some
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

tufamc

Thanks,

I do not know if the a/c vents are different from the heater vents, but it does have all the a/c equipment under the hood, pulley's, condenser, dryer, hoses connected at the fire wall, compressor etc.... It does have bucket seats in it with a center console, there are power breaks and power steering, as far as the green goes, there is not one spec of green paint on it, but it is 41yrs old

also where is the broadcast sheet located??

Thanks, JR

ChgrSteve67

broadcast sheet can be located in a number of places.

most common is in the seats between the padding and the springs.
Others have found then above the headliner, behind the glove box, under the carpet and a few other places.