News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

In America it's English, learn it.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, April 28, 2010, 08:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Kunkel

If politicians are "putting forth rhetoric" the topic is political, from my view even the right-wing politicians who favor "English Only" laws are reluctant to say so for fear of losing votes. And then there's the SCOTUS that might strike down any such laws as being unconstitutional.

Ya can't win.  :shruggy:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RD

SCOTUS = supreme court of the United States for those who may confuse it with the term, scroteum hehe :D :D

the politicians were talking about it john, but they were not talking about it in this thread hehe
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Nacho-RT74

you know why english is over the world like a basic "interphase" language ( aviation, bussiness, medical etc...) ? two reasons:

-British Empire got all over the world ( that's the reason why was told in the UK the sun never goes down... or something like that LOL ) so wherever you were in the world, you got a country around where english was the "mother" language

-Is the easier language to learn to ANYBODY.

USA got a piece of every part of the world by legal inmigration ( and some of the territory "stolen", sorry guys, is the historical truth )and everyone of these parts helped ( mostly ) to build USA on the way it is now, so I'm agree English must be the main language there, but dunno if on the way the guy on the initial video is saying or demanding. That's what I think it bothers me.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

PocketThunder

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 13, 2010, 11:33:40 PM
-Is the easier language to learn to ANYBODY.

Hi Nacho,

English is easier to learn than Spanish?  I thought it was the other way around?   :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Nacho-RT74

yes, DEFINITELLY... English is A LOT EASIER... is the easier language on the planet. You have for example 4 or 5 verbs tenses I think... We have around 10 or 12 tenses and every person has its own conjugation. For example TO BUILD verb, you say I, You, He, She, They etc... build ( with just the S on 3rd single person ) and done. We say YO CONSTRUYO, TU CONSTRUYES, EL/ELLA CONSTRUYE, NOSOTROS CONSTRUIMOS, etc... then multiply that for every tense on every person. Then we have male and female subjects and the pronoun when you only determine the subject gender by the pronoun.

etc... just some examples

My english can not be perfect, but I never have been on an English course, more than what I have learnt at school, and reading here and there and being my fav music mostly in english. ( of course I'm not an idiot, and I have the hability too )

I don't think you can make that with spanish ( at least not that easy ), specially with all the slangs and diff variations allong Latinamerica and even in Spain.

I think is a best idea offer to the inmigrants free english lessons for everybody to make a gently crossover to everyone, than kick their asses off by that political campaign.

Spain for example is on a similar situation, and even Spanish is the official language, the country is divided by 17 regions, where 3 of them has its own language. Municipailty offers ( specially to unemployes ) free courses of every local language ( Catalan, Vasco, Gallego ). That makes a better and happier convivency. Still the Spanish is the official language for everything, but forms are on each region in Spanish and in its own language.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

hemi68charger

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 14, 2010, 01:36:27 PM
yes, DEFINITELLY... English is A LOT EASIER... is the easier language on the planet

That's not my understand........... Well, different viewpoints from different parts of the word.. I know Spanish, for the most part, has hard rules of formation and pronunciation whereas as you can say to, two, too... too-too..........  :icon_smile_big:

I guess in my "learnin'" days in college with Spanish and French, I was in a structured environment......  I do appreciate and in awe of the countless foreign countries that can communicate in English....... Although I'm against tax-dollars duplicating practically everything in Spanish and English, I'm 100% for education of our youth with another language, much like Europe does...  :cheers:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Nacho-RT74

yeah Troy, trust me, English IT IS easier to learn that any other language. At least the basics. Of course then whe get deeper rules on every language, but from the basics, English is by far, the easier language to learn

Mike DC

Many people have remarked about USA kids not learning a second language, while many other countries have kids doing it.  I think it would be more likely to happen in the USA if there was another single language as useful throughout the world as English is.  American kids have started with the closest to a universal language, and any other second language would be useful in a much smaller portion of the world than English is.  

It's not an excuse to say that American kids don't need to learn any other languages.  But I think it helps explain why second languages have become so common in many other places and yet they remain so uncommon in the USA.  

Ponch ®

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 14, 2010, 05:29:27 PM

Many people have remarked about USA kids not learning a second language, while many other countries have kids doing it.  I think it would be more likely to happen in the USA if there was another single language as useful throughout the world as English is.  American kids have started with the closest to a universal language, and any other second language would be useful in a much smaller portion of the world than English is.  

It's not an excuse to say that American kids don't need to learn any other languages.  But I think it helps explain why second languages have become so common in many other places and yet they remain so uncommon in the USA.  

If I have kids, I'm sending them to Mandarin and Cantonese classes.....
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Nacho-RT74

yes Mike, is somekind logical. You definitelly got a good point there, but not good for the common benefit. Not even in your own country with all the variety of nationalities you got.

RD

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 14, 2010, 05:37:10 PM
yes Mike, is somekind logical. You definitelly got a good point there, but not good for the common benefit. Not even in your own country with all the variety of nationalities you got.

its only because we find it to politically correct to "accommodate" those who are non-english speakers.  the common benefit for the United States (IMO) is that we all speak english IN the United States.  That is our national language, any other languages that are spoken should be done when NOT conducting business, education, or other public matters.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Nacho-RT74

I'm agree Jamey, but I think you need to learn another language at school, and be able to at least basically speak it, as we do in the rest of the world

RD

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 14, 2010, 10:22:38 PM
I'm agree Jamey, but I think you need to learn another language at school, and be able to at least basically speak it, as we do in the rest of the world

cultural diversity can only begin with a basic respect for other human beings.  I hate to say it, but the majority of the United States citizenry will never leave this country.  And, due to what you already stated either in this thread or the other, the english language is a standard for business across the globe.  Except for a specific few, learning another language is not a necessity for the U.S. citizens.

I can understand why other countries do so, but to make such a request mandatory would (1) never happen and (2) only happen if we have been invaded by another country and lost the war (which according to many is currently happening with the illegal immigration that is ongoing).

I know I may sound like an arrogant U.S. American, but learning another language in the United States is not necessary.  But really, I am speaking the truth.  It is not that I think we are better than other people, it is just not needed from a realistic point of view.

Ghoste

RD you make an interesting point that I have tried to explain to other people over the years and seldom to any result.  Growing up in a border city with the US I never really gave any thought about the cultural relationship (lack of, more accurately) between Canada and the US.  When I began to travel to further points in Canada I would frequently encounter people who would complain that the US doesn't know anything about us and we are right next door and a larger nation besides.  I came then to try and make them understand "why should they?", Canada may be larger but it is a far less powerful country with far fewer citizens.  It isn't that they don't want to care, there isn't any burning need for them to care.  The elephant doesn't think about what color the ants are.  As much as Canadians seem to know about the geography and history of the superpower next door, they likely know a comparative less about somewhere like Madagascar for instance.
My point being that the United States has never sensed a great need to learn a lot about many of the nations they come in contact with.  It doesn't make it right or wrong it just simply is something that is true.  I think that is where a lot of that "ignorant American" myth comes from.  Other nations have learned a great deal about the US without ever understanding why that learning wasn't reciprocal.
I'll resist the urge to further point out that the US is viewed around the world as a federal entity when it existence was founded and for the most part still exists as a group of sovereign states with a common federal power to regulate commerce and defence (which further reduces any perceived need to know other cultures).

Mike DC

I agree that realistically most Americans don't need to learn another language.  

Learning another language would help broaden our minds from a cultural point of view and I generally support that idea.  But as a practical matter, it's not necessary for most of us to speak a second language.  Most of us hardly ever leave the USA.  

And to be even more realistic .  .  .  our dysfunctional education system has serious trouble just producing kids who can speak & write english well, even when that is the child's FIRST language.  

Nacho-RT74

yes I'm agree with you guys thats a realistic point ( by the moments ), just that I think is something to not to be proud about your education

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 14, 2010, 11:05:40 PM
Most of us hardly ever leave the USA. 

mostly of you not even LEAVE THE COUNTY where you live!

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 14, 2010, 11:05:40 PM
And to be even more realistic .  .  .  our dysfunctional education system has serious trouble just producing kids who can speak & write english well, even when that is the child's FIRST language. 

Oh well... you tell me... I never could understand to a guy ( suposelly a mechanic ) in Raysville Lousiana trying to "fix" the motorhome I was riding on my USA trip back in 2008 ( where by the way I made to know at least superficially 19 States of the Union )

EDITING AND ADDING A NOTE:

Don't worry, I think the local education is not something to be proud either ( far away from that ), but I think at least we are more into the world

Todd Wilson

elacruze

Ok, I dipped out of this thread a while back, but you guys picked a scab.

U.S. Citizens 'don't need to learn other languages'? Seriously?

Yes, that certainly is a dose of Arrogance. But arrogance isn't the problem, ignorance of the bigger picture is the problem.

What you fail to see, is that if you know only English you can't do business effectively elsewhere. Hold that thought, I know you're thinking, "English is the international language of business".

What you do by refusing to learn the language of the country you do business in is create an environment where you are doing business on their terms, unless you have a strong position.
If you never leave the U.S. to do business, then you only do business with those who come to the U.S. Necessarily, that means they are proactive and you are reactive-not the best way to do business, always on somebody else's terms. If you think that travelling to China and doing business in English is adequate, then you don't know Business nor the Chinese.

The World will not come to US forever.  :Twocents:

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: elacruze on May 15, 2010, 12:52:19 AM

Yes, that certainly is a dose of Arrogance. But arrogance isn't the problem, ignorance of the bigger picture is the problem.

The World will not come to US forever.  :Twocents:

thats why I say:

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 15, 2010, 12:13:20 AM
yes I'm agree with you guys thats a realistic point ( by the moments ), just that I think is something to not to be proud about your education

and although the education is a big problem in all the world, you have the money to save that and it looks nothing is being made to do it, like you don't care ( so you don't really care the rest fo the world ? )

Mike DC

Quoteand although the education is a big problem in all the world, you have the money to save that and it looks nothing is being made to do it, like you don't care ( so you don't really care the rest fo the world ? )

The lack of foreign language focus in our schools is just one small part of a long list of issues.  You must understand that if our education system was a car then it would be smashed to pieces right now.  The system is so outdated and mismanaged that it actually makes the rest of our Federal govt look modern & efficient in comparison. 

I think the public would like to see the education system fixed, but there is too much internal fighting about what people do and don't want taught in schools.  There is no way to set up a new curriculum that would not draw big protests from some portion of the people.  So the education system just keeps teaching a curriculum that is about 100 years out of date to avoid conflict.   

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 15, 2010, 03:45:17 AM

I think the public would like to see the education system fixed, but there is too much internal fighting about what people do and don't want taught in schools.  There is no way to set up a new curriculum that would not draw big protests from some portion of the people.  So the education system just keeps teaching a curriculum that is about 100 years out of date to avoid conflict.   

:iagree: 100%

Everyone wants their "piece of the pie", One of the other reasons AZ just passed their new law banning racial/ethnic focused courses as part of the curriculum. If people want Hispanic, Italian, Irish or this or that's influence during the Vietnam War, then take those in college when the students dollars are paying for it. Don't give me the argument it's for a better diverse or well-rounded individual......... Bull...... Our students are so behind in the very basics... Let's get back to those before we start investing in way more electives than core...... Wake up America !!!!
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

RD

whoa.. its not arrogance, I do not NEED to learn another language.  I don't, that is the truth.  There is nothing anyone from a different country can say that will make me believe I need to learn anything other than english.  Can I speak some spanish? yep.  Can I speak some french? Yep.  do i use either of those on a daily or weekly or even monthly basis? nope.

there are some that are in the united states that need to learn other languages, but the majority do not.  that is not arrogance, that is the simple truth and reality of it.  do not think that the majority of U.S. citizens failure to care or even want to learn another language is based upon arrogance because it is not, and to say it is arrogance is a blatant lie.

just because the majority of americans choose not to learn another language doesnt mean we do not care about the rest of the world.  that is a blatant lie.  The U.S. is the most charitable nation in the world.  argue me that and then say that because we choose not to learn your language we do not care.  If the hundreds of dollars I spend on charities each month, that are outside of the U.S., as well as the donations I give to those that are in the U.S. is all awash because I, and many other U.S. americans choose not to learn another language, then I guess I didnt care about those in Haiti, those in Somalia, those in Thailand, those in China, and all the other Christian organizations I pledge to.

Please do not assume my lack or desire to learn many different languages is because I DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE REST OF THE WORLD.  That will just piss me off.

QuoteIf you never leave the U.S. to do business, then you only do business with those who come to the U.S. Necessarily, that means they are proactive and you are reactive-not the best way to do business, always on somebody else's terms. If you think that travelling to China and doing business in English is adequate, then you don't know Business nor the Chinese.

The World will not come to US forever. 

I do business with industries and companies that are located in the U.S.  They buy stuff from other countries.  Do I have to learn Polish when I am asking for distributor cap at O'Reillys?  Do I have to learn how to ask for a video game in Chinese at Wal-Mart because the game was made in China?  Do I have to learn how to speak German when I go to my BMW dealership and ask for spark plug wires?

NOPE.. I do not have to learn another language.  My country's companies and their representatives may have to, but it doesn't mean I have to.

RD

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 15, 2010, 03:45:17 AM
The lack of foreign language focus in our schools is just one small part of a long list of issues.  You must understand that if our education system was a car then it would be smashed to pieces right now.  The system is so outdated and mismanaged that it actually makes the rest of our Federal govt look modern & efficient in comparison. 

i totally disagree as I am IN this education system, as is my wife.  The education system is the BEST thing this government has to offer right now.  It is the only bureaucratic department that operates at increasingly stringent standards with less and less each year.  Between NCLB and other educational requirements, the education system has to stay tip top while maintaining a very hardline when it comes to expenditures.  You want to see streamlining and doing more with less... look at your education system.

If the rest of the government actually paid heed to the educational systems concept of doing more with less, instead of spending all they got so they do not lose any for next years budget, then this country would be way the hell better off then it currently is.

The curriculum I am in teaches algebra, geometry, algebra II, calculus (AP classes in each), earth science, physical science, biology I and II, chemistry I and II, physics I and II, english I and II, forensics, computers, business, FACS, industrial arts, physical fitness and health, and the list goes on.  the education is at the hands of the politicians who either vote for the funding or do not.

you want something that is broken, go there, not the education system.  you have the largest populace of professionals who get paid jack crap for their hard and long hours of work, but still do it because they love it.  that is not broken, that is what keeps it going.

elacruze

Quote from: RD on May 15, 2010, 06:37:48 PM
whoa.. its not arrogance, I do not NEED to learn another language.  I don't, that is the truth.  There is nothing anyone from a different country can say that will make me believe I need to learn anything other than english.  Can I speak some spanish? yep.  Can I speak some french? Yep.  do i use either of those on a daily or weekly or even monthly basis? nope.

there are some that are in the united states that need to learn other languages, but the majority do not.  that is not arrogance, that is the simple truth and reality of it.  do not think that the majority of U.S. citizens failure to care or even want to learn another language is based upon arrogance because it is not, and to say it is arrogance is a blatant lie.

just because the majority of americans choose not to learn another language doesnt mean we do not care about the rest of the world.  that is a blatant lie.  The U.S. is the most charitable nation in the world.  argue me that and then say that because we choose not to learn your language we do not care.  If the hundreds of dollars I spend on charities each month, that are outside of the U.S., as well as the donations I give to those that are in the U.S. is all awash because I, and many other U.S. americans choose not to learn another language, then I guess I didnt care about those in Haiti, those in Somalia, those in Thailand, those in China, and all the other Christian organizations I pledge to.

Please do not assume my lack or desire to learn many different languages is because I DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE REST OF THE WORLD.  That will just piss me off.

QuoteIf you never leave the U.S. to do business, then you only do business with those who come to the U.S. Necessarily, that means they are proactive and you are reactive-not the best way to do business, always on somebody else's terms. If you think that travelling to China and doing business in English is adequate, then you don't know Business nor the Chinese.

The World will not come to US forever. 

I do business with industries and companies that are located in the U.S.  They buy stuff from other countries.  Do I have to learn Polish when I am asking for distributor cap at O'Reillys?  Do I have to learn how to ask for a video game in Chinese at Wal-Mart because the game was made in China?  Do I have to learn how to speak German when I go to my BMW dealership and ask for spark plug wires?

NOPE.. I do not have to learn another language.  My country's companies and their representatives may have to, but it doesn't mean I have to.

As noted, many Immigrants go their entire lives within the US, even as Citizens, without knowing any English. Your point is taken, there is no demand that you learn other languages. The point is just as valid that immigrants have no demand to learn English. They seem to get along just fine without it. Should they learn English merely for your convenience?

My point is not that you or the US doesn't care about the rest of the world-obviously we do-my point is that we do not care enough about OURSELVES. WE cannot compete on equal footing with such a narrow worldview.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.