News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stupid move. Did I dodge a bullet or do long term damage?

Started by Brass, April 28, 2010, 06:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brass

Looking for some opinions and speculation from the field of experience.  I have about 400 miles on a new cam and roughly 10K miles on the engine which was rebuilt before I purchased the car.  Although it has new lifters and no exhaust leaks, there has always been a very slight, almost indistinguishable tick.  Aside from that, I have been very happy with how it has behaved.  (Sincere thanks to Firefighter Ron for his advice.)

However, the engine recently faltered as it crept up to about 5200 rpm.  (In my estimation.)   It made an awful noise which I initially thought came from the carb, followed by a loss of power and a distinct clacking from the engine.  Needless to say, I eased off.  Then as I was looking for a place to pull over, it suddenly leveled out, power returned, and the clacking went away as quickly as it came.  It seems to be fine now.

I've had it up that high a couple times before though never for prolonged periods.  I thought 5500 would be a reasonable red-line for short bursts.   

It may be worth mentioning that it spent the prior week sitting around a lot of body dust.  It ran poorly after that.  I checked the plugs but as I expected, they were all great.  So I opened it up on the freeway, and it seemed to run better after it got a chance to blow out whatever may have made it past the air filter.  Then this happened...

My plan is to change the oil again in another 100 miles.  But any idea what could have happened?  Could there be long term damage?  The 440 has a steel crank and a windage tray. 

I have an appointment this weekend to do a pull on a chassis dyno, and for the moment, I'm a little worried about pushing it up that high again. 

Thanks,
Michael

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

firefighter3931

How did the oil pressure look when you blasted it to 5200 ? Have you checked the dipstick ?

It sounds like the lifters pumped up and floated the valves. I doubt you did any long term damage. Keep an eye on your oil pressure and tell us what it's doing.  :yesnod:

Did you change the valvesprings when the new cam/lifters were installed ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Brass

Good question - I guess I failed to mention a crucial element!  The oil pressure seems to stay between 40 and 50 psi in general, and was probably in that range when it floated the valves.  I heard 10 psi per 1,000 rpm where it should be(?)

I'll keep a closer watch and revert back if there are any problems.  I know it isn't leaking oil or burning it.  Currently, it still has the 30w from the cam break-in.  I'll be changing that in another 100 miles to a good 20/50 synthetic with plenty of zddp.

The springs were changed with the cam and I went with the ones Crower recommended...

Thanks again,
M