News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wipermotor problems

Started by Belgium R/T -68, April 24, 2010, 02:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

Have a new 3-speed wipermotor, new dashharness but when all connected together it doesn't work. I checked the connector
to the switch and there I have power on 1 wire. Connecting that one with one of the other ones makes the motor to run so I can
exclude motorfailure. Now, this only works on one wire, why not 3 since it's a 3-speed? I checked the switch and that one works.
Should there be more wires connected to the switch then only the big socket because there are place over. :scratchchin:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

b5blue

Three speed has an extra wire harness from switch to bulk head inside dash compared to two speed. (I have 2 speed and looked into changing, check the FSM.)

Belgium R/T -68

Including the one in the dashharness? There is to places over on the switch when the harnesssocket is mounted on the switch.

Per

Nacho-RT74

dunno on 2nd gens, but at lest on 3ds, 2 and 3 speeds shares same wiring from switch up to motor itself. Just the motor and switch are diff... also linkage in some cases.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

b5blue

Per this is where I run out of info, The 3 speed switch is different and I'm certain it needs an extra (small) add on piece for the 3rd speed, it got so costly to change out I just notched the base of my six pack air cleaner (fiberglass reproduction anyway) and moved on. I'm certain the FSM has a very good section on troubleshooting wipers. You do have one (FSM) don't you Per? My printers "scan" isn't working or I would post the pages for you. PM Maxwellwedge I know he has a six pack 2nd gen and they require the 3 speed to clear the aircleaner base. (As do 2X4bbl cars)  :scratchchin: 

Back N Black

Not sure if this helps, it the testing prodcure.

Bench testing procedure.

Test #1(Hi speed)

Connect jumper wire from motor case to battery ground.
Connect second jumper wire from battery positive to BROWN lead.
Motor should run hi speed continuously.

Test #2 (Lo speed)

Connect jumper wire from GREEN wire to battery ground.
Join BROWN and RED wires together and connect a jumper wire from battery positive to them.
Motor should run at slower speed.

Test #3 (Park)

Connect jumper lead from GREEN to BROWN wire.
Connect jumper wire from red wire to ground.
Connect jumper wire from Blue wire to battery positive.
Motor should reverse and park.

(Depending on where the motor had stopped the park feature may have a full rotation or very short rotation 

Belgium R/T -68

Motor works, great testingmethod. :2thumbs: I also noticed that I had the wrong switch for a 3-speed, need the one with the
resistor on it and luckely I found one I had bought for something else propably. :eek2:

Now, on the switchcontacts I see the letters B, P, A, F1 and F2. What do they mean I can I use those ones to perform a test that my switch is working with a ohmmeter? :scratchchin:

2 contacts are over when the big connector is mounted, one gives power to the washer but what's the other one for?

Per

Belgium R/T -68

Motor works from switch holded in hand but only one speed according to my opinion. Ammeter is really getting crazy while connected.

Does switch needs to be grounded to work properly? Otherwise I think it's partly broken. :scratchchin:

Per

b5blue

No need for ground, test on ohms, to see if any prongs on the back, in any switch position, have continuity with the metal switch housing none should. If any do take it apart to see what is going on.

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: b5blue on May 02, 2010, 10:43:17 AM
No need for ground, test on ohms, to see if any prongs on the back, in any switch position, have continuity with the metal switch housing none should. If any do take it apart to see what is going on.

According to FSM testmethod of switch you should have ground (housing) contact in some modes so I guess testing it in my hand
isn't aplicable? The ground installed is then the dashboard/body? :scratchchin:

Per

b5blue

:scratchchin: Well it must ground, the steel is ground and the housing screws to it but I never thought the switch required it........maybe for the thermal overload built in to it? Sorry I just don't have experience with 3 speed units. I'm interested as 2 speeds is not good for Florida driving, I need a delay type function and a super high for when it really pours!

Belgium R/T -68

Installed a new switch and the wipers works. :2thumbs: If there is any big difference between the 3 speeds can be discussed. :lol:

Per

b5blue