News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another 68 Charger Question

Started by oz_charger, April 11, 2010, 11:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oz_charger

This may be  a dumb question, but I have to ask, on the 68 Charger I assume that the last 6 digits on the VIN do not match the last 6 digits on the bottom of the fender tag, is this correct? Also the numbers stamped on the radiator support panel and trunk lip match the last 6 numbers on the fender tag.

If the above is true then without a build sheet how do you know that a VIN tag belongs on the body with that fender tag, and is it possible to fit a different fender tag onto a car so you could change its list of options i.e. take an column auto R/T and put a Fender tag off a deceased 4spd R/T.

Don't get me wrong I am not thinking of doing this its just that I am about to potentially buy a Hemi R/T and I don't want to get burned.

Dans 68

Quote from: oz_charger on April 11, 2010, 11:00:21 AM
This may be  a dumb question, but I have to ask, on the 68 Charger I assume that the last 6 digits on the VIN do not match the last 6 digits on the bottom of the fender tag, is this correct? Also the numbers stamped on the radiator support panel and trunk lip match the last 6 numbers on the fender tag.

If the above is true then without a build sheet how do you know that a VIN tag belongs on the body with that fender tag, and is it possible to fit a different fender tag onto a car so you could change its list of options i.e. take an column auto R/T and put a Fender tag off a deceased 4spd R/T.

Don't get me wrong I am not thinking of doing this its just that I am about to potentially buy a Hemi R/T and I don't want to get burned.

There are no dumb questions (only dumb answers, and I hope this one doesn't qualify  :icon_smile_wink:  ). Yes, the vin and the fender tag numbers don't match on the '68's. The engine, if stamped, will match the partial vin as will the transmission. And the stamped numbers on the radiator support and trunk lip match the fender tag. So yes, without the build sheet it is impossible to say with absolute certainty that the car is entirely original. If you fit an original fender tag on a car in the hopes of deceiving someone, then you had better change/counterfeit/massage the radiator support and trunk lip stampings to match. If the fender tag is a counterfeit it should be apparent (font style and size, spacing, looking too good, etc.). If the car is a "survivor" then the dirt and grime will show if any switches were done. The vin tag rivets are unique, so see if they are changed/new.

Post some pics of your potentially new buy and we'll dissect them. Show as much of the engine bay and underbody as possible.  :Twocents:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259