News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cam choice ??

Started by 69chargerR/T, April 10, 2010, 06:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerR/T

These two cams look pretty close to me,which cam looks better to you guys,or which one would you pick.
comp XE274H 230/236 dur 488/491 lift 110 cl
lunanti 60303 226/234 dur 494/513 lift 110 cl

440 .30 over
TRW forged flat top pistons
stock 906 heads
eddy rpm intake
holley 750dp
hooker comp 17/8 headers
3" exhaust
TCI converter flash stall 2400/2600
3.91 gear   

looking for good all around performance, that will pull hard. car is a 69 charger.

Challenger340

TRW Piston # ?

Is it the L2266F ?
or,
The 2355's ?

No matter,
If L2266's, just make sure you "degree" whatever you choose Cam-Wise, get it up around 105 or so will add some pressure down low.

If L2355's, then you are stuck with degree'ing at 108.

Use a Cloyes "Hex-ajust" Timing Chain & Gearset either way, which will make the Cam degree'ing process much easier !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Musicman

I'll run it through my PC and get back to ya.
I'm partial to the VooDoo cams myself, but the other cam is no slacker eirther, so I'll try both.

69chargerR/T

Quote from: Challenger340 on April 11, 2010, 12:30:23 PM
TRW Piston # ?

Is it the L2266F ?
or,
The 2355's ?

No matter,
If L2266's, just make sure you "degree" whatever you choose Cam-Wise, get it up around 105 or so will add some pressure down low.

If L2355's, then you are stuck with degree'ing at 108.

Use a Cloyes "Hex-ajust" Timing Chain & Gearset either way, which will make the Cam degree'ing process much easier !

The pistons are older TRW's that aren't made anymore. I think they are similar to the L2355's. If I remember right they were close to o deck ??   The pistons were in the motor when I got it, don't remember the # on the piston. I should have wrote  it down when I freshened the motor up 8 years ago :brickwall: What do you think of these two cams ??  Are these cams pretty equal, I know the comp has more duration and less lift compared to the lunati, but I'm not sure what the performance difference would be :shruggy:     

Challenger340

I was only asking about the Pistons, to get a better read on Cylinder Pressure available for the duration @ .050.

If they are "similar to the 2355's they will have 4 "eyebrow" Valve reliefs on the Top.
No matter,
it's just nice to know the Compression ratio for sure,
however,
I suspect either Cam is gonna perform better "advanced a bit", from the Rec'd Installed C-Line, with the heavy Car @ 24-2500 stall.

Are you changing/matching the Valve Springs for whichever Cam you choose ?
or,
trying this on stock Valve Springs ?

The Comp grind is a little "less sensitive" to Spring Pressure and Seat Angles than the Lunati.
The Comp won't matter if it only "sees" 105# to 110# Seat Pressures.
That said,
Understand that the Lunati REQUIRES to Spring Pressures be "right" for that grind.
If they ask for 115# to 120# pressure on the Seat, make sure thats what it gets, and you'll get a few ponies more.

And remember, MAKE SURE TO ADD A ZINC ADDITIVE TO YOUR OIL AND FOLLOW CAM BREAK-IN PROCEDURES !

Only wimps wear Bowties !

69chargerR/T

Yes, I will be using the recommended valve springs for the cam I pick. And the pistons do have the 4 valve reliefs on them. I'm leaning towards the lunati,but the comp cam looks good too. Thanks for all the info  :2thumbs:

Musicman

OK... obviously I don't have all of the finer specs of your proposed build, so I input what I new and guessed on some of the other stuff... either way, this graph should do well enough for a cam comparison anyway. The Lunati curves are in Blue... and I ran both cams with a 4 degree advance...
(Remember, this is NOT the predicted output of your build... it's just a similar style generic build for cam comparison)

Six of one, half dozen of the other really as we suspected.... The Lunati makes a little more initial power for greater acceleration, but the CompCam has a slight advantage at the very top. I still like the Lunati better in a street build like this. I would also consider changing your headers if you have not already committed. 1-7/8 is really more than required in this case... 1-3/4 is the max that I would use here. This will beef up your lower end Torque and HP... Sure you'll lose a couple of points at the very top, but this is a street build...  all the fun is in the lower end.
:Twocents:

firefighter3931

Those cams will be very close. The lunati will have slightly better power down low while the Comp will be a little better up top.

Mike's dyno program illustrates this point quite well.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69chargerR/T

Thanks for all the info, and taking the time to compare the cams :2thumbs: I do like the lunati cam, but the comp cam is nice too. I will most likely get the lunati because it has a little more power down low. I was wondering why you ran the cams 4* advanced ??

Musicman

Quote from: 69chargerR/T on April 12, 2010, 06:27:58 PM
I was wondering why you ran the cams 4* advanced ??

No particular reason really... Many of the Lunati cam specs recommend a 4 degree advance, and as such it is preprogrammed into my basic cam models for those cams. I have the ability to go in and change it of course, I just didn't give it a second thought at the time. I didn't have a premodeled spec for the XE274H, so I input the info over the existing Lunati 60303 model that I was using at the moment.

69chargerR/T

thanks again,musicman for all the info :2thumbs: I think I'm going with the luntai cam, I always read good things about the voodoo cams :2thumbs: everyone seems to like them.

flyinlow

I have the Lunati 60303 in my 446 ,similar built except Eddy heads. Happy with it.

Why is the Lunati more sensative to spring pressure? I am using the springs that came with the Eddy heads.

On the graph , the engine makes less power that a stock 440? Where is that power estimated? Rear wheels?

Musicman

As I said... This WAS NOT a predicted output for the build in any way shape or form... It was based on my programs model of a pre-existing generic stock style 440 installed in a B-Body with a full stock style exhaust system, and it was only used to illustrate the different characteristics of the 2 cams. The Lunati is always going to make more power up to the peak, but the Comp Cam will carry that power just a little further, and since that is all we needed to illustrate here, I felt it was good enough to post as an illustration. I apologize if I have created any undo confusion. :cheers:

My program always starts with a basic bottom shelf model as a base, and you build on it from there. However, this is not "DeskTop Dyno" or "Camquest" were talking about here. This program is designed to be an aid and a guide for professional engine builders who need to predict and analyze changes or trends in their work. The program assumes that you are doing custom work, custom modifications and/or building custom components, so it does not contain a library of pre-existing models, and therefore every last little detail has to be measured and input. I have created a few models of my own of course for some of the more common items, Stock 906 heads etc... but in general, it takes quite a lot of time and tweaking to put a build together from scratch. It's not a user friendly program... If I took the time to build a good library of models, it would speed things up, and I could run it more or less like a Desktop Dyno... but I'm not that ambitious :lol: If I did it for a living I would, but I don't...

flyinlow

Thanks for the information.