News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aaaargg... i have diff killing Charger

Started by kingjoop, April 09, 2010, 06:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elacruze

I'm against the bent housing theory.

I've seen our vehicles (basically an International 7400) which weigh near 40,000 lbs. log 1000+ miles with ~5* of camber bent into the rear axle housing due to launching and hard landings. Zero failures.
I've also seen housings intentionally 'tuned' on circle track vehicles to put camber in the rear end, and don't explode.
Enough bend to be root cause would be visible and obvious, and show in tire wear very quickly.

I'm not saying that a bent housing is ok, I'm saying I think your axle has not had enough miles put on for any housing issues to be the root cause. Just too soon.
Now, couple a bent housing with significant abuse, or even normal 500" abuse, maybe you could get there.
:popcrn:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

b5blue

Unless I'm way off, and I may be, a locker puts even spin to both wheels 100% of the time, the rotational difference from wheel to wheel in a turn is why the thing is Differential. Something must give in a turn as one wheel spins more than the other.  :scratchchin: 

elacruze

Quote from: b5blue on April 10, 2010, 02:24:40 PM
Unless I'm way off, and I may be, a locker puts even spin to both wheels 100% of the time, the rotational difference from wheel to wheel in a turn is why the thing is Differential. Something must give in a turn as one wheel spins more than the other.  :scratchchin:  

*Threadjack Warning*

That's a 'spool'. A 'locker' is a generic term people incorrectly use for any sort of traction device.

A 'spool' is nothing more than a ring gear carrier which locks the gear to both axles. Both wheels turn at the same speed at all times.

Technically a 'Detroit Locker' is a particular device that locks in to whichever side is turning slower; the drive torque is always applied to the wheel on the inside of a turn. The device does not apply any torque to the outside wheel until the inside wheel slips to the same speed. This allows the outside wheel to overspeed and coast.
They transfer 100% torque to the wheel with the most traction when one wheel slips.
Detroit Lockers are very harsh-acting, hateful for towing, and nearly bulletproof. They are found in everything from cars to front-end loaders.

A 'True-Trac' is a traction device invented by Zexel-Torsen and produced by Eaton. It uses planetary worm gears to jam against a housing when wheel speed reaches a certain differential. It acts as as open differential up to a point, and can transfer about 80% torque to the wheel with the most traction. These are very smooth, great for towing, and very durable.

As far as I know, all OEM 'posi' rear axles use friction discs much like an automatic transmission to send torque to the wheel with more traction. There are many variations on this theme, some which use springs at a specific pressure, some which are capable of changing pressure on the clutches by sensing spider gear action. Some have different shaped clutches but the mechanism of torque transfer is the same. This is the 'limited slip' 'posi' or 'sure-grip'.

Here's a work safe, reasonably reviewed, lengthy and surprisingly worthwhile Wikipedia article on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

TylerCharger69

What about the axle end-play adjustment on the passenger side??....Could that be way off causing the dissention?

69rtse4spd

Are you breaking in the new gears correctly, i.e. per the instruction's sheet. Or do the pig units come all ready broke in from Randy's. The new gears I got for the Dana said to drive for ten minutes then let cool down. I plan on checking the axle end play after cool down also, as soon as I get it put under the car. Could take it to a body shop & have them put on there frame rack & check to see if the frame is tweaked any. Got a 4.89 with 4.10 sure grip in the 70 now, do long burn outs with no problems. Just my  :Twocents:, hope you get it worked out.